PSA: Low - end hardware (including consoles): 3 bugs causing issues, work around them until fixed

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
All bases, including wrecked bases, always render (so build simpler bases)
https://trello.com/c/tyLIB9ZO

All power generators create an FPS / performance drop (including solar), increasing with each one built
https://trello.com/c/60XWDIja

Deconstructing parts of bases to increase performance won't work, as those resources are not released until the entire base is deconstructed in its entirety
https://trello.com/c/N6kT4rdC

Now, take all three of these together. 1) Your base(s) + wrecked bases are always rendered. 2) All power generation equipment creates a performance hit, cumulative with each generator. 3) Add the above two to this: Trying to mitigate the above two factors does not work unless you nuke & pave (start from scratch) the base in question. Now, compound that further. Let's say you didn't quite get the position of something right, or you make an addition, and change your mind. Every iteration on the base, even temporary ones, would cascade into a huge performance hit.

NOW BEAR IN MIND, I am by no means a dev here, and I'm not even a programmer, I'm just piecing this together from what I read, so if I'm wrong, devs, please correct me here.

Just hoping that knowing this information will assist with proper base-building until those 3 bugs are quashed.

P.S. @ Devs: Thanks for making such an awesome game, keep it up, I know you've got this. :smiley:

Comments

• GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    (XB1) I'm only speculating as well, but it appears to me, to be a memory leak. Just a few short hours into a new game since the latest update, the performance begins to take a dive. It happens without building anything. The shallows were fine, then, I started exploring, and the performance just got progressively worse. It's to the point now that the shallows are basically a slideshow. Hard or soft resets did nothing. It's unfortunate, but the game is indeed an early access game. I hope it gets fixed soon-ish, as it has essentially become unplayable. If it is a memory leak, there's little to be done on consoles. Work arounds would be great, if they do indeed... uhhh, work... *looks ashamed* around. Sorry, sorry. Keep trying!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    What confuses me is that even though my FPS only runs in the 19-24 range at this time (have logged almost 4 days of play time since the Sept. update), I can still play the game with little to no problems.

What am I doing right (or Wrong?)..., that many others folks don't seem to be able to do also?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    What confuses me is that even though my FPS only runs in the 19-24 range at this time (have logged almost 4 days of play time since the Sept. update), I can still play the game with little to no problems.

What am I doing right (or Wrong?)..., that many others folks don't seem to be able to do also?

Probably depends on the video card processor you have, and the amount and type of video memory available to it.

I get the same framerate as you, but after a while of playing, it dips, and now I get ~6FPS in wrecks, and I freeze for about 10-15 seconds on ascent at ~20m under. Always rendering all of the bases (and anything ever previously constructed on them, with added penalties for power generation), and also having to render the wreck, seems to be too much for my card.