XBOX ONE Concern

Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
I am aware that you all are saving optimization for frame rate issues for kinda last to focus on gameplay but I now own previews of almost all the current in developement games microsoft has accepted into the program and the framerate on this one is at times, lower then your alls deepest ocean floor. The more you get in equipment and deeper you try to explore, the more likely the game says no, you will die down here because now I shall operate at one frame evert three seconds. Considering no other previews seem to have such massive framerate issues and im aware every game is different but I have to ask, is this project just too beautiful and ambitious to come to the xbox? It just seems like the xbox just cant handle the game as much as I really want it to. I know that I am not the expert here and lots of developement to go, ive had the preview since it was released and followed everything going on. The stuff being done is truly amazing and the changes made since it first arrived kick of the booty of awesomesauce but it does seem to overwhelm the xbox. So I am just asking if you all think by release frame rate to at least 25 - 35 no matter where you are and the equipment you use/base you are in wont impact it much worse then that, at least not often.

Comments

• Gold_Eye_MasterGold_Eye_Master Space Join Date: 2016-08-01 Member: 220863Members
    ya when I first got the update it was working jest fine I had no problem with the frame rate until after a got back on it the second time now the frame rate is so bad you can't play the game in a descent way. But before the update the frame rate was much better thin the original release was but this latest update has messed with the frame rate hope the devs can get a hot-fix update soon.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    I noticed this as well. The first session I played after the lasteat update got me really excited. I was thrilled to see the draw distance improved, pop-in ever so slightly better, and the frame rate seemed REALLY improved. I was like "awww yeah! Nice!" Sadly, second session and consecutive ones all tanked. Barely built anything at all. Back to hanky janky. Kind of disappointed, but I'm still chugging along, because this is a great game. I hope it does indeed get well optimized, as it running in a polished state is quite a sight to behold. Keep at devs!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's not just the XB1, I've got the same issue on PC, not sure what is causing it, but it's impossible to find my way out of complicated wrecks because I'd have to turn very slowly to see the exit because of what feels like 1-3 FPS. :/
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I've noticed some pretty bad artifacting. Usually just colored squares flashing for two or three frames
  • Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
    There is a certain amount of releif knowing maybe its not just something happening on the xbox. Aside from that concern, just having the framerate at a playable state even if not great for now but enough would be nice. It's very difficult to test the limits when you can barely do anything at all. Right now I am basically limited to the shallows and kelp forest, any deeper and I might as well be looking at screen shots. Hard to give feedback on gameplay if you cant play. :D Well, I suppose thats my current feedback, I can't play much to test the game properly with an ever increasing harsh framerate.
  • GlemishGlemish Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221085Members
    I'm not going to sugar coat it, the frame rate is horrible no matter where you are, period.
    Just hope its fixed. I recently bought a finished game on Xbox and it was so smooth. That's all I want. Thank you.
  • WhiteFox77WhiteFox77 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217564Members
    edited October 2016
    As a professional software designer (I don't work for UnknownWorlds), and long time gamer, I can say with certainty, the frame rate issues are not a limitation of the Xbox One. Last years game of the year has a world that is much bigger and just as detailed, and doesn't have any where near these problems. The problem is design. We developers are like everyone else, we get lazy. When you do your development on powerful gaming PCs it's easy to rely on the GPU to do all the real work instead of making your code clean and efficient.

My concern is that by leaving performance to last they will have painted them selves into a corner. By now there are likely parts of the code that cause performance issues that they are too far into the project to redesign. Sort of like the Leaning Tower of Pizza, the builders knew it was falling over before they finished it, but by that time it was too late to move it to ground that would actually support it. I really hope I'm wrong. As a console gamer my PC isn't powerful enough to play this, and I must say I'm really excited for the end product.
  • StyrofoamboyStyrofoamboy Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223088Members
    If you turn on the fps monitor, its showing "...between GC (#)" and the number just keeps going up. The higher it gets, the worse the frame rate suffers. Once it hits about 70, parts of the see floor actually start unloading. Assumin "GC" stands for garbage collectoin, sounds like the devs have built themselves a nice memory leak. Hopefully they get it sorted soon. The game is pretty much inplayable currnetly. Fragments dont spawn unless I use warp, and you will always end up with the extinction bug after about an hour.
  • Dirk_PerfectDirk_Perfect Kentucky Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217411Members
    Well great...now I'm scared again. Haha. So possibly there is going to end up being thousands upon thousands of lines of code that need to be cleaned up and optimized but might never be because to do so could break countless other things which would require a complete rebuild of countless amounts of code. Relying on the power of PCs is all well and good but since there is a desire to put this on consoles, that's not a luxury. Some are indicating that desire to get content out as quickly as possible is creating sloppy code and therefore choppy game play? Well I'm sure there is a little of that going on but I hope not too much or points of no return type sloppy coding. I'm just hoping they are keeping it all noted as to where they need to go back and fix things, I believe they are because otherwise the final product will be unplayable. It was hard in the early stage of release onto Xbox but doable but now it's nearly impossible to do much outside the shallows especially with a vehicle or base.
    I know terraforming was being removed because of performance issues, so maybe if you try to avoid cropping out terrain with your base, it might help, I don't know.
  • StyrofoamboyStyrofoamboy Join Date: 2016-10-13 Member: 223088Members
    Even with no terrain modification, the frame rate deteriorates pretty quickly.
    Seamoth supposedly does it too, which is why on PC I've not built a moth for my primary save, just Cyclops & PRAWN.

You can supposedly get framerate back by destroying your 'moth, not sure if that would work.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members