A better navigation system.

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
Beacons are primitive and a pain, because they are ALWAYS on and always on your HUD. They don't give ranges and they don't list depths. I think it's time to start taking some lessons from Space Engineers to solve this problem.

1) Beacon Control from the HUD: Give the things ON/OFF switches that we can control from our PDA.

2) Make PDA work inside submarine: I can eat a cooked fish through my swimsuit mask but not while sitting comfortably inside my Seamoth. Explain?

3) Add depth and distance to navigation systems: This 2D system isn't cutting it.

4) Turn comm array into a beacon: Give that piece of furniture something to do and allow it to act as a beacon or, better yet, a network hub for navigation as a whole.

5) Allow beacons to be grouped: Let's say I want to mark a path through several kilometers of cave networks to the lave beds (gosh, who'd want to do that, right?). I place twenty or so beacons along the way to do this. However, I don't want them cluttering up my HUD when not in use or getting mixed up with all my other beacons. So I pull up the NavSys on my PDA and SHIFT-SELECT those 20 beacons, then hit the GROUP button and assign a color to them. I hit the ON/OFF switch for that GROUP and all of them turn on or off at once. Now isn't that handy?

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I could not agree more with you on the beacons subject. Its nice that we have them of course but the system as it is working right now is extremely basic and unpolished. I myself made a thread on this very subject as well but no Devs ever saw it/replied to it sadly so right now its hard to tell if the beacon system will get some lovin' before v1.0 of the game.

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    You basically repeat what other people already posted and present it as your own ideas. Not appreciated.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    You basically repeat what other people already posted and present it as your own ideas. Not appreciated.

I too once believed that making alot of threads about the same subject was kind of lame and redundant but with time i came to realize that the more a subject/issue is being brought up, the more obvious it becomes that this issue needs to be looked into to see how it can be improved.

its true that old threads can be updated with new points of view and personal thoughts, but ya know .... its impossible to stop multiple threads to be made about a ''hot'' subject. Try and search about this game and multiplayer, you'll see what i mean :wink:
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    I too once believed that making alot of threads about the same subject was kind of lame and redundant but with time i came to realize that the more a subject/issue is being brought up, the more obvious it becomes that this issue needs to be looked into to see how it can be improved.
    And then there are popularity parasites trying to manufacture the semblance of competence while having no substance of their own.
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    And then there are popularity parasites trying to manufacture the semblance of competence while having no substance of their own.

Your attempts at flaming peoples who did nothing to you falls pretty short in everyone's eyes, specially coming from someone who showed no substance of his own
  • CeepsCeeps Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37626Members
    Have Beacon 2.0 require gold instead of copper, gold abundance solved. Can make beacon 2.0 have a color that is filterable
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

While I think you do have somewhat of a point, you really went about presenting it in the wrong way. Yes, these are all ideas we've seen before, and yes, its a tad redundant. But, this does combine multiple issues that used to have separate posts into one, and reposting it does keep it fresh on everyone's mind.
  • ArbiterLegendsArbiterLegends Kingston WA Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220540Members

I agree that you should be able to control beacons from a distance, I find myself building multiple bases and I create a beacon for each one, I know I can label them but labels just add to the clutter that appears on my HUD, I would be more than satisfied if I could simply turn them on and off.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    uhh, you are supposed to put beacon depth on it... that's what I do, now a distance counter would be nice, but no. its fine the way it is
  • kiltmankiltman Texas USA Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221884Members
    a distance counter on beacons would be GREAT
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    +1 for beacon love. They are needed in this big, beautiful world!