Floaters are real!

XyphonXyphon Texas Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214664Members
Explorers find a purple ball/orb thing that looks awfully like a floater in the game: http://www.cnet.com/news/explorers-spot-mysterious-purple-orb-on-ocean-floor/

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    640?cb=20160220211348

Hmm, could also be a pinecone...

• AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Huh
    I'll be damned.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    640?cb=20160220211348

Hmm, could also be a pinecone...

hahaha! True, or it could be a very low-res koosh!

zt22vmu21iqj.jpg
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    What? The Nautilus research vessel found it? Goddamnit, I missed a great opportunity to see that live!

For those who don't know it, the Nautilus vessel is a deep-sea exploration vessel equipped with two ROVs, and they send live videos onto their site, Nautilus Live. I also reccomend you go check out their YouTube channel, as they record their awesome moments.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    It's clearly a reaper leviathan egg.

Things are about to get interesting around the Channel Islands!
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    Proof positive, that we also need Duct Tape™ in this game. For those quick repairs ;)
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Proof positive, that we also need Duct Tape™ in this game. For those quick repairs ;)

It doesn't matter how advanced your civilisation is... duct tape will still be a necessity!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

It doesn't matter how advanced your civilisation is... duct tape will still be a necessity!

FUTURE DUCT TAPE
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    FUTURE DUCT TAPE
    fibermesh + Chinese Potato paste + computer chip = Future Duct Tape™
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

Yep. In fact, there's an alien civilization whose ships seem to be held together by Minmitar Space Duct Tape.

...waitaminute...

...wrong universe... yeah...
    Here's an update on what they think that orb actually is.
    This unidentified purple orb stumped our scientists onboard. After sampling, it began to unfold to reveal two distinct lobes. After consulting with on shore scientists, the team thinks it may be a pleurobranch, a close relation to the nudibranch. Currently, none of the known species of California deep-sea pleurobranchs are purple, so this could be a new discovery.

They're still working on a species ID, but this could potentially be a new species.
    Here's an update on what they think that orb actually is.
    This unidentified purple orb stumped our scientists onboard. After sampling, it began to unfold to reveal two distinct lobes. After consulting with on shore scientists, the team thinks it may be a pleurobranch, a close relation to the nudibranch. Currently, none of the known species of California deep-sea pleurobranchs are purple, so this could be a new discovery.

They're still working on a species ID, but this could potentially be a new species.

The Subnauticus Floaticus! :smiley:

It would be cool to name it after the game, but be warned. It can take dedicated scientists many years to prove that a species is new to science. And if it is indeed a new species and named after the floater (which is also highly unlikely), its scientific name won't be like that. Here's a diagram to explain.

cfn3vri9v1ob.png

The latin name of a living being is split into two parts. The first being the name of the genus, and the second being the name of the species. A genus, however, can contain many different species, and it is likely that the genus of that purple orb is already known. And if that's the case, then you can't change the genus name.

It would be cool to name it after the game, but be warned. It can take dedicated scientists many years to prove that a species is new to science. And if it is indeed a new species and named after the floater (which is also highly unlikely), its scientific name won't be like that. Here's a diagram to explain.

cfn3vri9v1ob.png

The latin name of a living being is split into two parts. The first being the name of the genus, and the second being the name of the species. A genus, however, can contain many different species, and it is likely that the genus of that purple orb is already known. And if that's the case, then you can't change the genus name.

Dude, I know how latin names work. I was mostly suggesting that as a joke :smile:
  • XyphonXyphon Texas Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214664Members
    well, we could start a petition to name it after the floater on the condition that its a new species. This could a nice promotion for the game
    @dealwithitdog I sort of expected that because I could sense a joke, but I wanted to be on the safe side. It's a good one tho ;)
    @dealwithitdog I sort of expected that because I could sense a joke, but I wanted to be on the safe side. It's a good one tho ;)

Gotcha. Better to be safe than sorry :wink:
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Jokus Overextenditus.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Hey, we in australia had a chance to name a nudibranch(a type of sea slug) through a competition broadcasted by radio national. I called it's species name Aussiedaybarbie(It was covered in blue sausages).