Any way to turn off the blood effect?

Starlord340Starlord340 United States Join Date: 2016-07-22 Member: 220559Members
Pretty sure the title explains

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Why would you want..?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Unfortunately, there are some people out there with a bad phobia to blood. So bad that even fake or virtual blood... or any kind of red sauce that LOOKS like blood (ketchup for example) can set it off...
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    media can't pander to every rare phobia or idiosyncrasy.

While that's true, I don't think it'd take too much time and effort to simply have an option to switch it off in the graphics Options either.

Turning it off might even aid in performance slightly
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Play Minecraft. Nice and docile.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Play Minecraft. Nice and docile.

Except for those Creepers and Guardians... ;>_>
  • rkalorkalo Join Date: 2016-07-20 Member: 220493Members
    I have a fear of open water, playing this game is literally a simulation of my worst fears. i cant control the triggers but playing this game allows me to train my responses to said triggers
    rkalo wrote: »
    I have a fear of open water, playing this game is literally a simulation of my worst fears. i cant control the triggers but playing this game allows me to train my responses to said triggers

Exposure Therapy? I've been seeing that video games these days are very good for that (such as with Markiplier, who is becoming less fearful of automatons such as animatronics though the fear is still there).

My niece has Hemophobia (the fear of blood), but she's currently training as a nurse to lessen her fear.

Unfortunately, from what I've read so far that same therapy has the opposite effect on some people to the point of scaring them to death... literally...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    rkalo wrote: »

Exposure Therapy? I've been seeing that video games these days are very good for that (such as with Markiplier, who is becoming less fearful of automatons such as animatronics though the fear is still there).

My niece has Hemophobia (the fear of blood), but she's currently training as a nurse to lessen her fear.

Unfortunately, from what I've read so far that same therapy has the opposite effect on some people to the point of scaring them to death... literally...

It does work. I found the best way to deal with a childhood fear of zombies was to play Resident Evil. In the dark.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    I've had a fear of the ocean for a long time. I then saw Subnautica.

Now I have a phobia.

:(
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    FryerDevil wrote: »

Now I have a phobia.

hehehe when a game transforms your fears into phobias its a good indication that you might want to stop playing it!
    At least theres no Reaper Leviatahns in the real world ..... or, is it? :flushed::wink::scream:
    FryerDevil wrote: »

Now I have a phobia.

Yep. Repeat exposure sometimes works in reverse too. By the way, why would anyone want to turn off the blood? There's so little of it in the game, mostly when you're attacking/being attacked...
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    What if I want option for more blood? :D muhehe! The game isn't intented to be violent, but if it is phobia, I understand. Maybe the author of the thread could explain why...?

Lots of games have options for blood effects, not sure if Subnaitica needs it though.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    It is something easy that the Devs could do, some people feel ill at the sight of blood or object because of religious reasons (i.e. bloody violence)
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Cyion wrote: »
    It is something easy that the Devs could do, some people feel ill at the sight of blood or object because of religious reasons (i.e. bloody violence)

Never assume ANYTHING is easy when it comes to programming. It very well could be, but NEVER assume it.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited July 2016
    I can't believe people are actually suggesting such a ridiculous thing with a straight face just to pander to such a tiny minority.

I don't care what reason you have for not wanting a tiny bit of blood. Game devs must appeal to the widest possible audience within their own parameters, not design a specifically tailored game for every single person.

Even if it takes only 1 hour of their time to remove blood that's 1 hour wasted just to please 1 (maybe, maybe 2) person.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Perhaps what we really need is BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I can't believe people are actually suggesting such a ridiculous thing with a straight face just to pander to such a tiny minority.

I don't care what reason you have for not wanting a tiny bit of blood. Game devs must appeal to the widest possible audience within their own parameters, not design a specifically tailored game for every single person.

Even if it takes only 1 hour of their time to remove blood that's 1 hour wasted just to please 1 (maybe, maybe 2) person.

I have to agree with EnglishInfidel. If there is something about the game that affects you so badly then the answer is simple; don't play it.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited July 2016
    Cyion wrote: »

Never assume ANYTHING is easy when it comes to programming. It very well could be, but NEVER assume it.

Exactly - one little change could have unintentional side effects on other parts of the code.

At the end of the day though, Subnautica's bloodiness is pretty minimal, even ramming into a group of those crazed Biters with your seamoth doesn't really do much.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I'm not generally in favor of animal cruelty, but when it comes to biters, I wish there was a way to know that they were suffering.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    I have no problem with the blood in the game, you defend yourself against an animal attacking you and it bleeds, but I do think a game that is customizable for everyone's preferences is a better game. The more options the better. I also do not understand some people's inflexibility when it comes to the "majority rules, every one else who disagrees with that can go suck on a lemon, go somewhere else". I think if something is easy (not sure if a blood option toggle is easy to do but whatever) to do, and it accommodates another persons needs and can help in their enjoyment of something then I think it is a good thing to do (time and other factors permitting). It's not like the creator of this post is saying, I think the game should be ripped apart and there should only be fuzzy and friendly creatures in the ocean and there shouldn't be anything in the game that even could cause a paper cut and there should be rainbows and candy cane coral that is edible and the survivors of the crash should be immediately rescued as not to cause any hardship because that is too mature of a subject for anyone to have to put up with. I also understand the point that was made that the devs focus on making a game that draws in the biggest possible audience on a small budget, however, I also see that the devs have embraced ideas from the community and implemented them in the game. I do agree it is not something the devs will do because of more important bugs and new content that trumps this.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    The blood effects suck (this is not a request for improvement keep them the way they are) in Subnautica.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The blood effects suck (this is not a request for improvement keep them the way they are) in Subnautica.

It's the best they could do to make it realistic and not make people queasy at the same time. In real life a stab wound underwater would leave a massive cloud of red, and in Subnautica it leaves only a few strands of blood. To make it better they would have to make the blood thicker, and that wouldn't sit well with some people. The blood effects are minimal, it looks realistic for the most part without making people feel ill, it's got a good balance.
    I'm pretty sure that the dive suit you're wearing plus any mods to your body installed due to Alterra's employment requirements help keep the blood loss to a minimum. Before you speak against body modification, remember that at least some of the crew of the Degasi have also undergone this process.
    I'm pretty sure that the dive suit you're wearing plus any mods to your body installed due to Alterra's employment requirements help keep the blood loss to a minimum. Before you speak against body modification, remember that at least some of the crew of the Degasi have also undergone this process.

What about when you stab a creature?
    Jamezorg wrote: »

What about when you stab a creature?

Well, they ARE alien creatures (to us). Who knows if they have the same amount of blood volume as we do. Though you gotta wonder why it's red and not some other color...
    Though you gotta wonder why it's red and not some other color...

I think red is universally a blood colour (although when it's inside us it's deoxygenated and blue). Fish in our see bleed red, but yea, it would be cool if the Reaper bled purple :)