What is gonna happen to these plants?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
Here's a chart of the flora in the game.

400?cb=20150526035441

Zooming in...

r4vaub21122o.jpg

Here's another.

rzzauirwd1tp.jpg

What do you think's gonna be the supposed "hazard" about both?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I recall reading somewhere that the plan for the floating stones is that they'll explode if hit. I do not know what impact criteria are considered, but I imagine getting into the Grand Reef with the Cyclops to become inadvisable.

I think the PDA says something about the barnacle suckers being a source of enzyms, so maybe they'll end up emitting that? You know, digest you alive when you swim close.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Corrosive chemicals, weird. I thought that it would suck you in and chomp away at your life points. It might also suck in small fish and eat them!
  • dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
    lol it would be cool if subnautica had underwater mines
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    They were probably inspired by the beginning of this scene.

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yeah, originally those floating pods in Grand Reef were intended to be like natural underwater mines, and explode on contact. We haven't had time to set them up to do that, and I think we are no longer sure that it would be a good idea to do that anyway.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    and I think we are no longer sure that it would be a good idea to do that anyway.

Yeah, I agree with this. Would ruin the exploration sense a bit. There's too many in game for them to be able to explode. And I certainly don't want their numbers reduced.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Aw, but you could use the propulsion cannon to lob things at them to set them off! Then you could use them as makeshift anti-warper weapons!
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    They do seem like they should have some kind of perk to them though. Maybe make them emit more light, and be growable or something. Like for a natural light source. I dont know. Maybe just looking pretty is enough.
  • Nyota_AskariNyota_Askari Arizona Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219397Members
    I think making them explode like underwater mines would sort of ruin the zone. I love that zone! mostly because of how beautiful the pods are! I would also love to see these grow-able as well! Would make a very nice 'natural' lighting effect in the exterior grow beds!
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I definitely agree that they should not explode. The biome would look really barren after a while. I think though they should emit more light, you can barely see anything down there, which is authentic I guess, but it is a bit of a bummer that bioluminiscense is mostly limited to creepvine seeds.
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    Please leave the floating pods how they are now and maybe allow us to collect a sample of them so we can grow them.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Those floating orbs are fairly close together, in the biome. They'd have to have a pretty small explosion radius, or you'd be able to set off a chain reaction (intentionally or otherwise) that would wreck havoc in a huge area of the biome.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    dargan012 wrote: »
    lol it would be cool if subnautica had underwater mines

It does, in a way, in the Crash plant. It functions very much like a modern discriminating mine launcher.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    They could emit a short range EMP when you bump into them as a self defense mechanism against big predators, much like a short charged Perimeter Defence System. Might even become one of the things you need to scan for that system to be available. After a discharge, they lose glow and need a while to recharge. So you could tip off a path of them diving, before coming through with your vehicle of choice.
    I have a much better idea. First watch this short clip I'm giving as an illustration.

Those tiny spots you can see in the aquarium are ostracods, and they produce a bioluminescent liquid whenever the cardinal fish tries to swallow them. The reason for this is that the bioluminescence created by the ostracods act as a burglar alarm because it illuminates the fish, and therefore makes it obvious to its own predators.

This behaviour could very much work with the floating stones. Whenever you or another creature touches one, it will shine really bright, making the alarmed creature obvious to its own predators. This will especially work in the deep grand reef because there are crabsquids there who are attracted by light. So when you go roaming down there, you should be careful not to turn on your flashlight or touch a stone. Otherwise a crabsquid will come and investigate, and give you a bad time.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Yeah, originally those floating pods in Grand Reef were intended to be like natural underwater mines, and explode on contact. We haven't had time to set them up to do that, and I think we are no longer sure that it would be a good idea to do that anyway.

Exploding could be funny and cool but personally I enjoy the Grand Reef as a quiet and safe retreat.