WARNING! MASSIVE FREAKIN' SPOILER AHEAD!

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
Seriously, this will spoil the whole story for you. So unless you want to find out yourself while playing, go ahead and click this.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    This is all very interesting! its possibly the very first bit of info we get on these said ''Precursors'' :smiley:

Altho ... i dont want to be the party pooper here but i kinda wonder

Who exactly wrote this story-revealing bits of infos and where did they get their source from. Not that im skeptical as to the truthfulness of the infos but you know .... this kinda comes out of the blue here.

If this comes straight from Tom Jubert (the guys UW hired to write subnautica's story) then yeah i guess this is all accurate probably. At any rate im dying to learn more, just like everyone else im sure :smiley:
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I also was heasitant to believe it or not, but have you read the comments of the page. They still don't confirm this, but they do seem trustworthy enough to me.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    yup, read some of the most recent comments (not all of them, some are 1yr old and over)
    This all seem legit altho since about no info is out there to confirm all this i messaged the writer of those infos in the Wiki (Name is Bippity) to know their source. that was 10 mins ago so no answer yet

EDIT: Received a reply from Bippity. they say they get most of their infos from Cory, bits 'n Bobs that was revealed on the subnautica's Discord channel as well. Since it all seem to come from a Dev im guessing a dev would not reveal anything false or even just unconfirmed on the Discord channel. For this reason im inclined to believe the infos to be trustworthy.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    What puzzles me most is the idea of the advanced precursors making a big fuzz about imprisoning a sea emperor when it's clear that they can bring down whole spaceships from afar.

Do we see any danger in the sea emperor? It only looks like an oversized sea dragon. And the worst mistake of the game is to make the cyclops invincible to sea dragons and other creatures. It makes you feel that the sea emperor kin isn't really much dangerous for big high tech. Sure, the story could tell us about how awesome dangerous the sea emperors are, but the game engine gives us the opposite feeling. Unless they tune the Cyclops to be vulnerable to attacks.

And for something different - the possible plan:

You'd need to free the sea emperor, so this creature could attack the (too well protected) precursors interstellar defense base. Then you could get rescued.

Unfortunately that means the game will need much more time. Exosuit and Aurora expansion will need weeks. Lost River and Lava Biomes probably months to finalize. And precursor gameplay and story is still invisible. And there isn't much more content left to cut from the game to speed up development. Maybe transfusing gets sorted out again. I think they won't get finished before October if they want a polished release.
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    I always thought that the precursors captured the sea emperor to extract some sort of energy from it to fuel their defense system and/or the cannon which shoots down spaceships. You know, like the body of the sea emperor produces a mass amount of energy, be it heat, [insert some scientific nouns here] or even something we humans don't understand yet.
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    yup, read some of the most recent comments (not all of them, some are 1yr old and over)
    This all seem legit altho since about no info is out there to confirm all this i messaged the writer of those infos in the Wiki (Name is Bippity) to know their source. that was 10 mins ago so no answer yet

EDIT: Received a reply from Bippity. they say they get most of their infos from Cory, bits 'n Bobs that was revealed on the subnautica's Discord channel as well. Since it all seem to come from a Dev im guessing a dev would not reveal anything false or even just unconfirmed on the Discord channel. For this reason im inclined to believe the infos to be trustworthy.

ohai

• IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    How are they advanced if they imprisoned the sea emperor as oppose to just kill it or redesign it. Because if they designed the warpers, why not just do the same with the sea emperor? Plus they have no need for it if they can imprison it and design new animals. Because it seems like they are advanced enough to were ecosystems and the environment are no longer things that have to care about.
    And that's a bit that just doesn't make any sense to me. Unless the precursors were evil bastards, and the sea emperor was the well emperor of the original civilization. Which the precursors wiped out and then mutated the survivors into the warpers. Then making the sea emperor live much longer and be forced to watch its people, exist only as mindless slaves who only exist to keep the emperor imprisoned. Which makes sense for that because why would the precursors care about a civilization that would be as beneath them as mosquitoes are to us. And add in the matter they could just purge the planet of all life and remake everything again, but better.

But the whole imprison thing in general doesn't make any sense for a civilization as advanced as the precursors to do. Unless it's for fun, boredom, or they are running some kind of experiment, or maybe all those things.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    Uh..... we on the discord have known about precursors for a good while now. Also, I don't exactly see how this is spoilers.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Astromancer You never know. New people are coming to the forums every day, and most of them don't want the story spoiled. It's best to be on the safe side.
  • cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    edited July 2016
    edit: quoted wrong person
    IvanKeska wrote: »
    How are they advanced if they imprisoned the sea emperor as oppose to just kill it or redesign it. Because if they designed the warpers, why not just do the same with the sea emperor? Plus they have no need for it if they can imprison it and design new animals. Because it seems like they are advanced enough to were ecosystems and the environment are no longer things that have to care about.
    And that's a bit that just doesn't make any sense to me. Unless the precursors were evil bastards, and the sea emperor was the well emperor of the original civilization. Which the precursors wiped out and then mutated the survivors into the warpers. Then making the sea emperor live much longer and be forced to watch its people, exist only as mindless slaves who only exist to keep the emperor imprisoned. Which makes sense for that because why would the precursors care about a civilization that would be as beneath them as mosquitoes are to us. And add in the matter they could just purge the planet of all life and remake everything again, but better.

But the whole imprison thing in general doesn't make any sense for a civilization as advanced as the precursors to do. Unless it's for fun, boredom, or they are running some kind of experiment, or maybe all those things.

maybe the sea emperor is the last precursor?
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    maybe the sea emperor is the last precursor?

But why would precursor bio-slaves be imprisoning the last precursor, as oppose to well being the mindless meat drones of the precursors. Unless the sea emperor is like a genetic hard drive, and exist only to be a living storage vessel for a variety of genetic sequences. Then again that doesn't make sense either since why would you make it able to escape or fight back or anything other then live a really long time. Or just not use a non living thing, that will last long.
    Only thing i can think of that would explain the sea emperor is the precursors are just assholes. Who either enslaved the sea emperor to keep as a pet or because one wanted a creature they could show off, or hold prisoner as a "look at what we did to your world and your people" type thing.

After all imagine if aliens showed up to earth, they'd have zero reason to care about us. Because well we have zero value, there is nothing we could offer or provide they can't just take with less effort. Would be easier to glass the planet and rebuild, that way they can have it just the way they want. At best they keep a few animals (people included) as pets because they think, these creature would be fun to show off.
    Just think the same with this planet and those that came across the precursors, probably was as one sided as sponges vs nuclear bombs.