"Large Aquarium" -> "Alien Containment" - WTF!?

Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
I just got back from the wiki and I discovered a name change for the Large Aquarium... to "Alien Containment".

Now I don't see why they needed to change the name. The term "containment" conveys quarantine which also suggests a sterile lab environment. What we have is a Large Aquarium (with a coral reef in the center) one can decorate with plants and swim with the fish when they build a hatch on it.

And all-in-all, it's kind of a bad sounding pronoun. "Put a Stalker egg into the Alien Containment." See my point? "Alien Containment" sounds more like a place than a physical object. Put the word "tank" at the end and it would be better, albeit verbose.

Read the Article: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Containment

Is this official? And if it is.. PLEASE change it back! :confounded:

Comments

• ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    OMFG I HATE IT SO MUCH
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Alien Containment is not as restricted as a Large Aquarium. Large Aquarium can only have sea life in it while Alien Containment means that it can be modified for sea life or land life. After all, Alien Containment is supposed to be able to contain any type of alien. The only real difference between a Terrarium and Aquarium is the Terrarium uses gas while an Aquarium uses liquid. Land on a regular planet and you can use the Alien Containments as Terrariums and Aquariums. Land on a water planet and you can use the Alien Containments as Aquariums.

It is better to have blueprints that can be adjusted to the situation than be screwed because someone brought the Terrarium blueprint, but forgot the Large Aquarium blueprint.
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    Exobiology Chamber?
    Xenoquarium?
    Exoquarium?
    Aqua-Terrarium?
    Xeno-Terrarium?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    AceDynamo wrote: »
    Aqua-Terrarium?

That's just an aquarium.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited May 2016
    starkaos wrote: »
    Large Aquarium can only have sea life in it while Alien Containment means that it can be modified for sea life or land life.

The latter of the two would gut "Subnautica" in both name and setting. Besides, there are no breedable land animals in-game meaning a Terrarium would be useless... so what's the point in generalizing it? So far, the only creatures that can be bred are sea animals.
    Xenoquarium?
    Exoquarium?
    Man Alive, YES! Both are a far cry better (not to mention more imaginative) than "Alien Containment".
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    Exoquarium is where I keep my Exosuit. ;)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    I noticed this in experimental, too. What the hell, Devs? We'd better be able to 'contain' Warpers or Reapers or something "alien" in this thing, now, please!
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Can't honestly find any excuse for this name change... unless there's some additional functionality planned for it that would explain it, but I doubt that's the case.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    Large Aquarium can only have sea life in it while Alien Containment means that it can be modified for sea life or land life.

The latter of the two would gut "Subnautica" in both name and setting. Besides, there are no breedable land animals in-game meaning a Terrarium would be useless... so what's the point in generalizing it? So far, the only creatures that can be bred are sea animals.

There is no breedable land animals yet in Subnautica. We already have one annoying land animal in Subnautica and a bird species, so it makes sense for more to exist. The name change could be a result of the devs planning to add more land animals to the game in the future and makes absolutely no sense to store them in a Large Aquarium.

As far as adding land animals gutting Subnautica in both name and setting, they have already done that with Floater Island and Mountain Island. As long as the vast majority of the game is underwater, then it is fine adding a few more islands. Only adding a giant land mass will gut the name and setting.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    I noticed this in experimental, too. What the hell, Devs? We'd better be able to 'contain' Warpers or Reapers or something "alien" in this thing, now, please!

Just imagine a reaper crammed into one of those tanks, filling up the whole space :D .
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    also, technically, we are the alien in this world. might explain the fact i like to go in there often :dizzy:
    the irony :trollface:

The seabase is the alien containment!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Vivarium is definitely the best!

As for me - I just wish we could vary the bottom of the tank (so that it would match the ecosystem we're growing critters from - it is disturbing to have a bunch of deep water plants and critters crawling along a shallow water decoration).
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Vivarium is definitely the best!

As for me - I just wish we could vary the bottom of the tank (so that it would match the ecosystem we're growing critters from - it is disturbing to have a bunch of deep water plants and critters crawling along a shallow water decoration).

That's exactly what I want. Then I can have my blood kelp habitat with planted blood kelp, spinefish and baby shockers.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Honestly don't see the reason for all the salt for the name change.

The term aquarium was pretty misleading anyway, as when people hear the term, they think of "putting fish in a tank and looking at them while they swim around all pretty" and not something of survival significance. Alien Containment may not have been my first choice but personally I think it is FAR better than Aquarium. I mean, we aren't making a zoo here.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

The term aquarium was pretty misleading anyway, as when people hear the term, they think of "putting fish in a tank and looking at them while they swim around all pretty" and not something of survival significance. Alien Containment may not have been my first choice but personally I think it is FAR better than Aquarium. I mean, we aren't making a zoo here.

I understand, but alien containment does sound a bit... clinical, doesn't it?
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

I understand, but alien containment does sound a bit... clinical, doesn't it?

Yeah, I don't see the chamber as "containment" because we aren't trying or actively attempting to contain anything. We catch food and we put them in there to reproduce.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Maybe "alien containment" was an early name and an original plan to use it until farming and breeding fish in tanks replaced it, while the species analyzer and transfuser got shifted out of the game for now. There is essentially no research on species right now and no functional lab equipment to support any kind of tech or bio research. The scanner does it all in an instant on all objects at this time.

We should get this XXL MP room named "research room" with a XXL aquarium as an "alien containment" together with a research mainframe to process all scanned data with lots of upgrades needed for better research.
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    There are more name changes to come with Subnautica.

Please note that the game's still in Early Access.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    There's a lot names changing in the game, and while the aquarium one might not be the best of them, I absolutely LOVE the new names that the plants got. My total favorite is the Vase Plant becoming a Ming Plant. Well played, devs!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    There's a lot names changing in the game, and while the aquarium one might not be the best of them, I absolutely LOVE the new names that the plants got. My total favorite is the Vase Plant becoming a Ming Plant. Well played, devs!

I thought that the Violet Beauregarde plant was pretty funny.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members

I would've been fine with Alien Habitat instead of "containment" (yuck), but I never would've thought of Vivarium. Nice one!
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    It's likely a change to fit background as it was never intended for the aurora to crash on the planet mearly to check for and potentially rescue any survivors. The containment then IS and is INTENDED to be a multifunctional containment for all floral and faunal containment and study.

The bigger question is why a mining vessel needs this blueprint at all. It's not packed with scientists making observations it was attempting to build another jump gate so really it seems out of place compleatly.

That said if we are going to complain at the simplicity of it's name why not call it what we all use it for. FISH GRINDER just add an attachment that processes it all and turns them into a neutrition bar and we're good.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    what about making it more accessible? The fragments are in the DGR now, so basically now we can only use the growbeds for sustainable farming until we get to the DGR. Anyone agree?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    OK, first of all,

229620-20forum20late20necromancy20post20thread.jpg~original

Now that that's out of the way,
    what about making it more accessible? The fragments are in the DGR now, so basically now we can only use the growbeds for sustainable farming until we get to the DGR. Anyone agree?

Pretty sure I found the fragments for this last night in... now I can't remember if it was the wreck at the edge of the Grand Reef with the sparse reef or the wreck in the Blood Kelp... anyways I got to them with just a seamoth and the pressure compensator I picked up in the Aurora.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Koosh Zone wreck has them deep inside through a long service tunnel. Easy to drown in.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Technically, if the player is inside it, it IS an"Alien Containment."
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Technically, if the player is inside it, it IS an"Alien Containment."

Depends how you define "containment", since you can freely get out of it.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    shen_xcomeu_6807.png

"Sorry, but that's just a fish tank."