Unrealism of pipe layout

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
When you lay a pipe near the surface, it just simply floats there with nothing holding it. This looks really unrealistic and I would like something to be done about it. Here's my idea: we need a sort of floating rectangle with a hole in the middle to hold the pipes in place. What do you think?

Comments

• HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I like it. A floaty thingy like the new containers have. But does anyone actually use them?

I only made and used some for the first time a few days ago - figured it was about time - and I agree it looks odd. But I'm highly unlikely ever to make more. So much fiddling to set them up and I can't see any real benefit.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    ^ I think pipes quickly outlive their usefulness after the earliest stages of a game. You eventually get better and more oxygen tanks, fins, seaglides, seamoths, etc., and by the time you have the whole slew of options to go really deep, pipes are usually completely obsolete.

That said, it would be pretty cool to give them a more realistic-looking appearance, somewhere down the lines.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ive read somewhere on the Trello boards that they plan on have us using pipes to pump O2 from the surface down to seabases. not sure if its still going of if they decided to scratch that. it would give pipes a usefulness that it doesnt really have so far ill agree on that.

Ive personally not used the pipes either, save for that one time when i started playing the game. that got me curious about it but the minute i tried the thing i stopped and never used it again since.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Ive read somewhere on the Trello boards that they plan on have us using pipes to pump O2 from the surface down to seabases. not sure if its still going of if they decided to scratch that. it would give pipes a usefulness that it doesnt really have so far ill agree on that.

Ive personally not used the pipes either, save for that one time when i started playing the game. that got me curious about it but the minute i tried the thing i stopped and never used it again since.

The plan is to require power for Bases, Cyclops, and Seamoths produce oxygen. Let your Seamoth's power drop to 0 and you better have a Power Cell in your inventory or else you will likely drown or suffocate. After all, converting water to oxygen is easy if you have enough power.

They would have to let us connect pipes to our bases if they decided to go that way. Although, it is possible that if part of our base is above water, then we won't have to worry about oxygen for some of our bases. Of course that is assuming that we don't dig through a ton of dirt to establish entryways above water.

Considering how much freedom that we are allowed with constructing unrealistic bases, pipes sticking out of the water are a really insignificant problem.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    A slightly more 'realistic' solution would be to have a floating intake module and lengths of flexible (silicone/titanium composite) tubing leading down to the base. The additional requirement of having to construct an inline compressor module every 20 metres would make this system more technically accurate.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    A slightly more 'realistic' solution would be to have a floating intake module and lengths of flexible (silicone/titanium composite) tubing leading down to the base. The additional requirement of having to construct an inline compressor module every 20 metres would make this system more technically accurate.

Forgot to say that my idea was only a very early one and needed to be developped, so you guys can go ahead just like this dude.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Maybe,the pipes could be placed on a floating buoy that you can build off from.At the end of the pipes could be a small module that allows you to "attach to pipe" by attaching it to you back.

It could be a rubbery extendable part that allows you to move 3-4 m while its still attached to you're back
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I really hope we DON'T need to start piping O2 from the surface - it would feel really odd to me if we can build an entire undersea base with a handheld... might as well be a magic wand - as a famous quote roughly stated "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - and yet we don't have the tech to make breathable air in it? That would be Battletech levels of technological disparity, and without the "technology lost to generations of war" excuse. (and let's face it, that's a flimsy excuse as it is).
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    I really hope we DON'T need to start piping O2 from the surface - it would feel really odd to me if we can build an entire undersea base with a handheld... might as well be a magic wand - as a famous quote roughly stated "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - and yet we don't have the tech to make breathable air in it? That would be Battletech levels of technological disparity, and without the "technology lost to generations of war" excuse. (and let's face it, that's a flimsy excuse as it is).

Dont worry.The devs have said that they scrapped the idea of O2 machines,Plants producing O2 and ultimately pumping O2 into basrs with pipes.They basically said that O2 machines would just come preinstalled and only turn off when there is no power.
    Dont worry.The devs have said that they scrapped the idea of O2 machines,Plants producing O2 and ultimately pumping O2 into basrs with pipes.They basically said that O2 machines would just come preinstalled and only turn off when there is no power.

That makes sense. Oxygen can be extracted from water easily once you pass an electric current through it.
    I can live with that decision.

That makes sense. Oxygen can be extracted from water easily once you pass an electric current through it.
    I can live with that decision.

Yup.Some people in the discord chat also brought it up.Electrolysis actually makes Breathable O2 and it makes sense that seabsaes would have a built in O2 system.I mean, a seabase without O2 machines is like a plane without wings.

Oh and bugzapper,are you in the Discord chat?
    Yup.Some people in the discord chat also brought it up.Electrolysis actually makes Breathable O2 and it makes sense that seabsaes would have a built in O2 system.I mean, a seabase without O2 machines is like a plane without wings.

Oh and bugzapper,are you in the Discord chat?

No. There's more than enough discord in my life, mainly originating in Facebook. ;)

I prefer using the General Discussion forum here. Always lurking around here or the Ideas forum.
  • project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    edited April 2016
    I would honestly be surprised, given the fabricator, that there would be much of a reason to do electrolysis. Electrolysis of distilled water is considerably better at making hydrogen than oxygen, it gets worse when you try to do it with brine (you get chlorine) and it still doesn't solve the issue that you can't breath raw oxygen at any depth past 1 atmosphere (so continually pumping O2 in will end up killing everyone). What you need to do is scrub the CO2 out. You can basically have the fabricator convert stale CO2 scrubbing media into fresh media (like soda lime). I mean, that's what it does when it's producing the other crap. It's converting from some elementally similar chunk of materials to something else. There's other more exotic scrubbing compounds too (like lithium hydroxide) that we could also use. More than likely if you had that going, the plants could provide the small amount of conversion back to O2 that you would need to keep the air breathable.

My expectation is, if they were to do something, that would roughly be what it was. Occasionally having to purify your scrubbing material, like how you stuff crap into the bio reactor. As mentioned though, they appear to have binned the O2 stuff for now, just leaving it as "base has power, base scrubs air"
    The whole O2 issue is old news to me.

I'm a former diver, so you can imagine how I feel about the game's pressure mechanics, gas physics and biomedical issues.
  • project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    The whole O2 issue is old news to me.

I'm a former diver, so you can imagine how I feel about the game's pressure mechanics, gas physics and biomedical issues.

Nod. I'm advanced open water certified back with the Y, though I'll admit my total hours is still pretty limited. I feel at least I understand the basics :)

I've always just lumped all of this into what I call "Star Trek Physics". We do these things because they sound cool, and the fact that real life doesn't work that way is not really a huge deal. That said, some people (like me) have a limited level of "suspension of disbelief". I can turn off most things about it, but if they're going to introduce a system, I want to see that system to at least be rational.