Frequent, repeated crashing

DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
SUBNAUTICA: build 31112

I thought I would post my experience with in-game crashes, since nobody seems to mention having the same type of crashes I do and nowhere near as frequently. I've sent in-game feedback but I thought it would be more helpful to post a more in-depth version here.

I've had consistent issues in the past with Subnautica having frequent crashes. With the my initial purchase of Subnautica around August of 2015, I had few issues and played the game avidly. However, with subsequent builds, my game began to crash relentlessly. This caused me to have issues playing the game, and as a result I usually just wait to see if the next update fixes it. Following the recent update, Subnautica finally stopped crashing, and I was able to play-gleefully-for about 3 and a half hours, without any issue. Then, all of a sudden, I ran into a severe string of the same crashes I always had, making the game completely unplayable again.

These crashes always start with a frame or two dropping, and result in a frozen screen. Most of the time when this happens, the game continues playing with the screen frozen, so it is possible to move, interact with the environment, and even save and access the options menu, granted that you remember where the buttons are located. (Saving causes the save file to have no screenshot when loading the game.)

I often found these crashes repeatable under one of two conditions: Either I was loading too many new things at one time (I.E. pulling out the flashlight for the first time while loading new things in the Kelp zone); or I returned to my sea base after having spent some time away from it. The former crashes would happen with a moderate frequency, and were generally more of a nuisance than anything. I could fix the crashing issue by simply saving (since the game still runs), reentering the game, and then moving away from the area and returning to it later, or by not going there at all.

However, the crashes linked to my sea base meant that it was near impossible to do anything inside without the game crashing, resulting in the base being completely useless and a causing a massive loss of progress. These crashes could only be avoided by completely tearing down the entirety of the sea base and its modules.

Since the crashes seem to be related to visual errors, I should note that my computer, which is a SURFACE PRO 1, meets the minimum requirements of the game (with a pretty messy framerate at times, but playable nonetheless). However, the game does not seem to recognize the integrated graphics of the system and says the GPU isn't up to par, even though the game appears to run fine.

I absolutely love this game to death, and I would certainly love to be able to play it more, but the fact is, trying to enter my sea base causes me to crash in less than 60 seconds. I would appreciate if anyone has any additional information on these crashes and what could be causing them, and would love feedback from players who also experience this issue.

Comments

• CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    same here... happens at random times, but each build is different... but stays the same each time.

I'm the same with my GPU... game plays fines 99% of the time, but says mine isn't up to par...

you find a fix or way around all that let me know!!
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    I've heard somewhere that the game "talks" to the GPU, and if it doesn't receive a response, it freaks out and messes up, causing issues. I'm thinking this may be related to that, since, at least in my case, there isn't a central GPU to communicate with.
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    Actually, with the latest update I've gotten. The game is much more stable. before this update it would lock up ever so often from 30 seconds to an hr.... actually played the game for over 3 hours before I got tired and turned it off... didn't lock up once the whole time!
    so what ever the devs did between march and april update.... well done!
    Carica wrote: »
    Actually, with the latest update I've gotten. The game is much more stable. before this update it would lock up ever so often from 30 seconds to an hr.... actually played the game for over 3 hours before I got tired and turned it off... didn't lock up once the whole time!
    so what ever the devs did between march and april update.... well done!

See, that's just the thing. My game was absolutely fine with the newest update, but after 3 and a half hours of play, the game began its crashing routine near my sea base, the same as before. General playing seems to be okay, but my sea base is certainly causing consistent crashes. This hasn't been fixed with the latest builds, either.
  • andrewwayandrewway Adelaide, SA Join Date: 2016-03-19 Member: 214482Members
    You have perfectly described how the game is for me too.

I've tried quite a number of fixes/twisting video card settings with my nVidia GTX 650Ti to no avail. Just when I think "yeah, nailed it, it's reliable" based on a setting I change, or a new version coming down... I get cocky and forget to save and BAM. Lost progress. (if there were a "hot key" for saving it would be much appreciated, devs...)

Anyhoo - I'll fav this post in the hopes that amongst us (or the devs) we figure what the silver bullet is to fix it.

I'm seeing who wins the race - a preview version on the Xbox (where the video card is 100% known/compatible), or the devs fix the crash that seems to be affecting a lot of us (just not the youtubers we watch...)

Either of these means win to me.
    I know for a fact the base crashing issue can be solved by deconstructing the base, but that's a pretty bad fix, all things considered. You can try that if it happens to you again, as long as your base is small (unlike mine.....rip).

It seems that a lot of people have this kind of issue, but I don't think its been addressed in any big way. I imagine it must be difficult for the devs to fix, so I'll be patient, but hopefully they can look into it soon.
  • subNautsubNaut Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225205Members
    I realize this discussion is a little old but with the recent precursor update it seems, at least for me, that this problem has resurfaced. coming back from the mountain biome I started to experience consistent crashes every time I got too close to my base, which I regrettably built just below my life pod, completely cutting me off from any kind of construction. I thought I was going to have to give up subnautica until the next update was released, hopefully fixing the problem, but I did stumble onto a solution of my own. by pressing F1 you can bring up "technical" information about subnautica while it's running. if you then press F8 it brings up a cursor that allows you to access option tabs at the top of the tech info page. under the "other" tab there is an option that allows you to adjust the size of the chunks the game loads while you play. if your game is like mine this setting is maxed out at 32. by turning this setting down just one notch (from 32 to 24). my game ceased to crash and i was able to once again enter my base without issue. if you decide to try this fix and it works for you please let me know.

subNaut
  • LordScrubLordScrub Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227850Members
    EVERYONE I FIXED THE PROBLEM

All you need to do is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\(Your Save Here) Then delete CellsCache. What this does is it reloads all the biomes and wrecks in the map. When you load your map up the crashing should stop.
    edited February 2017
    This has long since been fixed

huttb2xtw0y7.jpg