Story Arc Idea

jhs3kjhs3k Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212644Members
I’m sure the devs have nailed down the basics of the story by now but in the spirit of wild speculation & what I think might be cool, here is a possible direction for the game. Many players seem to agree they’d like this game to continue in a non-violent direction. Yet the game takes place in the violent “Natural Selection” universe. So here goes:

The ocean covering the planet is deadly to the Kharaa. A small, previous expedition confirmed the Bacterium corrodes, oxidizes and becomes inert in the planet’s water. This planet could become a fortress world for the human race, immune to infestation and the Aurora was sent to initiate human colonization.

The Aurora was chartered as a terraforming ship with a fictitious destination in order to hide the existence of the fortress world. Existence of this planet was to be kept secret at all costs, so when an infestation was detected aboard the Arora, TSF agents destroyed the ship.

Humans would make another colonization attempt and that would be the end of the story if it wasn’t for the floating island. The original expedition established two bases, both underwater. For some reason, by unknown mechanism, one of those bases has since been raised to the surface…as if rejected by the ocean itself. This floating island is capable of supporting Kharaa life and soon becomes infested as bacterium emanating from the Aurora wreckage settles there.

With limited resources on the island, and no room to expand, the Kharaa is in an even more desperate survival situation than the human player. The Kharaa dare not act aggressively and must focus all efforts on adapting itself to its new habitat. It will eventually borrow from indigenous life and adapt to the ocean environment. New aquatic hybrids will appear in the ocean.

This sets up a Mexican standoff, like the situation found in the story Enemy Mine where cooperation is essential to survival for both sides. What would have been a fortress world allowing more aggressive human behavior instead becomes the environment where to two races are forced to understand each other and work together.

Comments