New creature (Basher)

RedRidaRedRida Nowhere and everywhere Join Date: 2016-01-25 Member: 212050Members
I came up with a new creature, I hope you like my idea!

Name: Basher

Description: looks like a mantis shrimp. It is half-hidden in its hole, but it is roughly the same size as the player.

Behaviour: It hides in a hole hidden in the sand. Players can tell where the holes are by bubbles rising from the entrances. When something gets too close to the hole, the Basher attacks them in a style similar to a Crab Snake. But instead of grabbing them, its uses it’s claws to kill the creature before taking them back into its hole. With a player, the explosion caused by the claws does 40 damage and leaves them temporarily paralysed. The Basher then returns to its hole.

Attitude: Defensive/Aggressive

Lore: These creatures hide in their burrow waiting for prey to pass by. When prey comes clos to the hole, the Basher uses its special claws to create an explosion, killing the creature before taking it back into its lair. This is only affective against small creatures, however, and larger things will merely be stunned. If a creature is too large for the Basher to take back into its burrow, they return to their burrow, waiting for a smaller creature to pass by.

Biomes: Dunes, Safe Shallows, and Crash Site

Chronobiology: Cathemeral

Spawn Rarity: Common

Resources: The player can statis rifle the burrows so they can knife the Basher without getting attacked. They drop:
Crash Powder (Common)
Decomposing Peeper or other fish (Uncommon)
Basher Claw (Rare)

The Basher Claw can be used to stun big creatures (e.g. Crab Fish) or destroy bits of terrain when held in hand. Each detonation uses 1 Crash Powder (I know you can use the Statis Rifle, but this is more fun :) ).

Comments

• RaptorfarianRaptorfarian Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212313Members
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited January 2016
    Not to be nitpicky but your creature seems to hunt more like a pistol shrimp (Which creates a shockwave by snapping its larger claw) than a mantis shrimp. Mind you, I've kept a mantis shrimp as a pet before and watching them smash open their prey's shell/exoskeleton is amazing.

@Raptorfarian
    I think the developers said recently that the rock puncher might not make it into the game.
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members
    they didn't say the rockpuncher is not gonna make it into the game, they just said he was on the "chopping block" because his punch altered the environment (they plan to remove terraformer too because environmental alteration causes extreme lag)

hope this explains it for you. i doubt they'll remove the rock puncher, they're just gonna change how he works ( i suppose )
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me. :)
  • RedRidaRedRida Nowhere and everywhere Join Date: 2016-01-25 Member: 212050Members
    thats what i meant, a pistol shrimp
  • DekstrisDekstris Poland Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212706Members
    Yeah, rock puncher, and this would make an evolution line :P
  • GuardianCraftGuardianCraft Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 212967Members
    ya thats a rock puncher basicly
  • MrappbrainMrappbrain United States Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213008Members
    If it's an aggressive creature, shouldn't it stay out of the Safe Shallows?
    Mrappbrain wrote: »

Why? We already have the crash living in the safe shallows and not many people complain about them, not to mention the occasional stalker. I for one would like to see another aggressive creature in the area, even if you can only find them in caves.
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    I like the sound of this. This seems like good evidence for evolution, specializing in attacking while hidden.
  • MrappbrainMrappbrain United States Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213008Members
    edited February 2016
    Mrappbrain wrote: »

Why? We already have the crash living in the safe shallows and not many people complain about them, not to mention the occasional stalker. I for one would like to see another aggressive creature in the area, even if you can only find them in caves.

Well, one would assume it's called the Safe Shallows for a reason. The Crash is a defensive creature, and the Stalker doesn't stay inside the Shallows. The Shallows in my opinion should be a place you're free to move around in without worrying about some hostile life form attacking you. It's the first biome you explore, and having aggressive creatures around kinda sets a passive, conservative tone that restricts exploration right from the start.

If nothing else, at least call it the Shallows rather than the 'Safe' Shallows if it's not gonna be safe anymore.

EDIT : Misquoted, sorry if I triggered a notification for no reason.