Enhancing the survival aspect of the game

SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
After playing through a few saves with different playstyles and goals, I've noticed that the survival aspect of the game seems pretty lacking in its current form. Beyond the first hour or so of identifying what to eat, where to get water, and how to avoid most predators, there really isn't any difficulty in staying alive. In fact, other than an unlucky encounter with a Reaper and a dumb triple crashing, the only deaths I've experienced were the result of being too far into a cave with too little O2 to get out. The point of this thread is to try to brainstorm some ideas that could make staying alive more difficult and more rewarding.

Here is a starter list of ideas I've kicked around for the last couple of days:
  • Some initially edible creatures are poisonous, only to be identified as such later through scanning
  • Some flora is poisonous or has the ability to sting so they do damage on contact
  • Every zone, except maybe the shallows has at least one, if not several predators
  • Capstone predators (Reapers, Bone Sharks, Sand Sharks, etc) are able to roam farther from their spawn point (Reapers should have free roam of their whole biome) and be more aware of player position
  • At night, lights attract fish and predators
  • At night, predators are able to roam into neighboring zones, including the shallows
  • Being damaged causes you to consume O2 at an increased rate and reduces your swimming speed (would not include seaglide)
  • Some predators are venomous, causing you to continue to take damage after an attack until you use a medkit, or possibly a separate venom antidote

There are probably a whole lot more possible ways to make the environment more dangerous, and I'd like to hear what you all have to say on the topic.