New player feedback for the devs

smackumzsmackumz US Join Date: 2015-10-13 Member: 208465Members
Hi,

I figure the devs might like some fresh player feedback after all the updates jave gone in to the game. Since I just started playing, this feedback is from a new player experience perspective.

So I picked up Subnautica on steam and slowly started to regret it.... I mean really 40 hours playtime in 3 days :smile: The first night I started the game up around 9pm and was all "I'll just play to midnight and hit the sack..." What seemed to be just a few hours later, I started to hear some birds outside and that's when I realized it was daylight creeping in... yeah 5am. I can't remember the last game I did that for, it might have been civ v. So kudos and great job on a great game.

The things that I see missing or lacking in the game (and I can see here some have been mentioned) are as follows:

1. A docking system or solar upgrade to the cyclops... getting started with the sub really hurts due to its power consumption and required powercells. Starting out I can buy the difficulty, but after you've got a good hq setup and really get out to explore the taxing and time consuming collecting of materials for power is annoying. If anything have the thing recharge if parked near a solar farm.
2. I got the seamoth and then the moon pool and was shocked there wasn't an attachment/upgrade for robotic arms. If I watch any science diving documentary they always have a sub with hydrolic robotic arms. I could see them helping quickly accumulate said resources like scrap, copper, quartz etc.
3. There is no map? I get that the guy crashed on a new planet, but seriously I would find a way to document my surroundings somehow.
4. I've setup a few bases with beacons on them so I can find them again, but if I become too industrious they can really clutter the game up. Could there be a way to turn this hud overlay on/off? Maybe I missed it.
5. It seems creepvines rot really really fast. They go from new to old in the time I cut 10 pieces to when I open my inventory. Less than a minute and it's lost properties? Seems excessive.
6. Oxygen warnings seem inconsistent. One outting you're first warned for 30 seconds, the next outting it'll first warn you at 10 seconds. A couple times it barely gave enough time to get to the surface. Maybe I'm just too enthralled to notice the 30 second warning all the time?
7. Food / drink requirements seem off. I'm spending more time hunting food / water in order to go explore and still have to find time for powercells. Ended up creating evil genius lair with a rock tunnel to a moon pool with my base on the inside of the cliff wall where I catch and release a lot of edible fish. It's my fish farm, massive fish capacity!

In the end, this is a great game! I'm just waiting for more now!