Subnautica Vet here - Anyone using Oculus DK2 WITH Windows 10? HOW!?

redmantabredmantab united states Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206990Members
Subnautica is really awesome in Windows 8 with the DK2 virtual reality headset. It is known that with Windows 10 it is pretty tough to enjoy VR as it isn't quite compatible yet, but people always find work arounds.

Is ANYONE using windows 10 AND Subnautica? If so, please share how?

Comments

• redmantabredmantab united states Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206990Members
    someone...please??
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We've been trying to fix Rift support in the next patch and even got it mostly working in Windows, but Unity has introduced a bug which might prevent it going out.

We're big VR fans and once Unity have fixed their issue we'll be able to finish fixing up Rift support. Early Access Game Development for you :neutral: sorry about that
    Awesome Obraxis! Yeah, it is just too darn cool in the rift! I am so appreciative and fortunate that you have created this entertainment for me and the dk2. Along with Elite Dangerous, these are both very fun experiences. Try and get it in the next patch ;)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    OS X support for Oculus is still back in the 0.5.x version, compared to the 0.7.x version available for Windows. When Unity updated to the 0.7.x version, they deleted much of their old driver infrastructure, effectively breaking OSX support to the point where even if you don't have an Oculus, it will crash (from what I've heard). Since the setting for "enabling VR" in Unity is a project-level setting (not OS-level), it is either on for everything, or off for everything. UWE doesn't want to completely break SN on OSX, so they may have to disable it for everyone - unless a workaround/fix is found before the next release.

Suggestion: Continue to disable it for the dev (daily) builds, but enable and build it manually for the "monthly" Windows-only release, until a solution is found. This would allow (limited) testing of the VR tech in SN to continue.

Personal speculation: From the looks of it, driver support for Oculus/VR in OSX will not be available until the official Oculus is released (probably some time in 2016, based on rumors). This translates to no work in Unity/Subnautica support until then either. However, I still expect an OSX crash fix in Unity fairly soon.
    This foreign language ramble just makes me want the nice subnautica dude who responsed earlier to come back and say,

We hear ya bud ;) back online for u rare dk2 users next patch.

Most fun my daughter and I have had in years.

Love this game and dk2 makes it unbelievable. Literally INSERTS YOU! yes it is a dev kit and not mainstream yet but boy oh boy has it been a very very stunning experience.

Ok, hmmmm I can STILL play Elite Dangerous almost perfectly in windows 10 withe 0.6.1 or whatever SKD.....is there someway with the 0.5 sdk I can play Subnautica with windows 10? I use that workaround on the internet for Elite which basically makes you run the oculus in windows 8 compatibility mode....

Can I somehow use the same approach for Subnautica? Man do I miss being inside this game!
    should read "sdk" "with" - spelling errors