Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    1. Geo Satellite, for what, exactly?

2. Yes to Large surface ship

3. The Seamoth is your rapid transport sub.

4. Just build your Seabase on the surface of the water
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    @04Leonhardt A geosat for this:
    1. It scans the ocean for all the locations of biomes and quartz and scrappys
    2. It sends you the info on a new console called the Main Computer
    3. You now have a map of the whole ocean.
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    PajamaJams wrote: »

So like a sonar but a geo tracker?

It would be nice if resources were more centralized in certain biomes.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    How would you send it into the air
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members

I like the idea, it expands on my own:
    Central Control Center - This room would have several core functions. Given we are stranded on an uncharted planet, this room would broadcast a constant SOS (which could play into future story elements), as well as scan for transmissions. These transmissions could initially lead us to new biomes, wildlife, etc. but also play into future story elements related to the Planet's story. It could also record wildlife to decipher its "language" and share the info with other modules aimed at finding new information about them. Perhaps even leading to new, non-lethal means of pacifying aggressive predators for short times (think of it as an audible "anti-shark spray"). Terrain mapping info could be brought back from the Seamoth and uploaded to a database that would be viewable as a 3D map. This map could have notations attached to it that pop up when hovered over. We could monitor all outboard vessels and beacons using the map. This would give us a place to toggle on and off the beacons we want to see, and those we don't. This would alleviate much of the 'blinking things' that can clutter the screen (also possible form Cyclops please). It could also monitor the buildings it is attached to for energy usage and structural weaknesses so it can suggest a solution (solar panel for near surface, thermal plant for near volcanic areas, nuclear plant for Uranium rich areas, etc). Another feature could be Surveillance, with cameras becoming a schematic item that can then be placed both in and outside. There feeds could be toggled and would make Monitors another schematic item to be placed where appropriate (Cpt Quarters, Rec Area, etc). There are lots of ideas that could make this room useful and add interaction to the game.
    unnamed.jpg

Although, being able to scan that much area might to a bit OP at first. I still like the idea of us having to go out and Sonar map the surrounding areas and upload it to a mainframe. However, it could be an eventual upgrade to that, that is withheld until the player reached a certain amount of territory scanned. At that point it could be discovered tech that results in a Schematic. Even then it could provide basic mapping only, so we still have a reason to go explore it.

• SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members

I like the idea, it expands on my own:
    Central Control Center - This room would have several core functions. Given we are stranded on an uncharted planet, this room would broadcast a constant SOS (which could play into future story elements), as well as scan for transmissions. These transmissions could initially lead us to new biomes, wildlife, etc. but also play into future story elements related to the Planet's story. It could also record wildlife to decipher its "language" and share the info with other modules aimed at finding new information about them. Perhaps even leading to new, non-lethal means of pacifying aggressive predators for short times (think of it as an audible "anti-shark spray"). Terrain mapping info could be brought back from the Seamoth and uploaded to a database that would be viewable as a 3D map. This map could have notations attached to it that pop up when hovered over. We could monitor all outboard vessels and beacons using the map. This would give us a place to toggle on and off the beacons we want to see, and those we don't. This would alleviate much of the 'blinking things' that can clutter the screen (also possible form Cyclops please). It could also monitor the buildings it is attached to for energy usage and structural weaknesses so it can suggest a solution (solar panel for near surface, thermal plant for near volcanic areas, nuclear plant for Uranium rich areas, etc). Another feature could be Surveillance, with cameras becoming a schematic item that can then be placed both in and outside. There feeds could be toggled and would make Monitors another schematic item to be placed where appropriate (Cpt Quarters, Rec Area, etc). There are lots of ideas that could make this room useful and add interaction to the game.
    unnamed.jpg

Although, being able to scan that much area might to a bit OP at first. I still like the idea of us having to go out and Sonar map the surrounding areas and upload it to a mainframe. However, it could be an eventual upgrade to that, that is withheld until the player reached a certain amount of territory scanned. At that point it could be discovered tech that results in a Schematic. Even then it could provide basic mapping only, so we still have a reason to go explore it.

What about if you would have to upgrade the system in order to obtain sonar distance instead of just having that right off at the start?
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    What about if you would have to upgrade the system in order to obtain sonar distance instead of just having that right off at the start?

All the better. If it leads to meaningful game play I'm all for it.

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'm all in favour of using the Seamoth's sonar to completely map the surrounding ocean.

The holo-map in the habitat Command Centre or Cyclops should reflect the gradual nature of this process as it updates according to the areas you have covered.

That would be the Duck's Guts. First Rate. Absolutely A-One.

On the subject of new vehicles and stuff, I'm not quite so certain now. The idea of having a modified, flight-capable Seamoth is slightly appealing, although it would need to have its own unique drawbacks: No deep-submergence capabilities, no electroshock field and no torpedoes permitted. It would have to be a pure exploration vehicle in order to make it slightly less desirable as a sole means of getting around. I'd like to see the solar recharge function retained, though.

Nothing quite like dropping from x hundred metres to ruin a feller's day.

With the latest Seamoth Update, this handy little scooter has really come into its own. I have five of them currently, all configured to perform specific tasks.

The Cyclops Seamoth, 'Calypso' has 3 deep-submergence and 1 sonar modules equipped.
    'DeepStar 1' has the same fit-out as 'Calypso'.
    'DeepStar 2' has three deep-submergence and 1 electroshock modules fitted.
    'Stingray' has electroshock, torpedoes, a locker (with all changeover Seamoth modules) and solar charging.
    'Mako' has electroshock, armour, solar charging and 1 deep-submergence module.

I'll probably build just one more Seamoth configured for resource scavenging in hazardous shallows.

Dammit. It's like eating potato chips. You can't just stop after the first one. ;)

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    in my opinion we could maybe go with a surface ship that can move around much faster then subs can underwater as in real world.
    also I feel we should have to find a fragment for the cyclops as well as the seamoth or start with the seamoth blueprint
  • darkbunnydarkbunny Join Date: 2015-10-08 Member: 208361Members
    What I would really like to see would be a resource excavation vehicle. A vehicle that is slower than the seamoth whose main purpose is to allow players to harvest materials without having to exit the vehicle, making resource gathering safer for the player at the cost of speed and escape capability.
    Adding this into the game could allow the devs to also add in underwater pressure as a mechanic that players would have to worry about at deeper depths. This could also allow them to add deep ocean exploration suits to reduce pressure on the player (do Exo suits already fulfill this purpose? I don't know anything about them).
    Possible upgrades could include the standard: increase to safe diving depths, increased armor/resistance to hull damage, a defensive mechanism, and storage space. A unique upgrade could be an escape mechanism that uses energy to give the vehicle a small burst of speed to escape dangerous situations.
    This is just something I thought could be unique and helpful to the player with its own drawback. If there is already something in development/suggested let me know!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    darkbunny wrote: »
    What I would really like to see would be a resource excavation vehicle. A vehicle that is slower than the seamoth whose main purpose is to allow players to harvest materials without having to exit the vehicle, making resource gathering safer for the player at the cost of speed and escape capability.
    Adding this into the game could allow the devs to also add in underwater pressure as a mechanic that players would have to worry about at deeper depths. This could also allow them to add deep ocean exploration suits to reduce pressure on the player (do Exo suits already fulfill this purpose? I don't know anything about them).
    Possible upgrades could include the standard: increase to safe diving depths, increased armor/resistance to hull damage, a defensive mechanism, and storage space. A unique upgrade could be an escape mechanism that uses energy to give the vehicle a small burst of speed to escape dangerous situations.
    This is just something I thought could be unique and helpful to the player with its own drawback. If there is already something in development/suggested let me know!

Exosuits are planned to do something similar to this. We'll just have to wait for it to come out though.

A rocket you can place on a floating surface, similar to the Constructor but bigger.
    Also, maybe a different exosuit JUST for resource excavation and not exploration.
    http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/178481/959_large.jpg
  • j1r2000j1r2000 canada Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207813Members
    i agree but it has to be about 20% cooler
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    edited October 2015
    actually geosat shuld allready be in orbit.
    If you planed to colonise a planet you have to know wher/if you can land you ship so you sends first sat and probs.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    I would like to see a cargo submarine like cyclops but smaller and 1 deck
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    I would like to see a cargo submarine like cyclops but smaller and 1 deck
    Stop with vehicle maybe add a surface one but that it we already have the cyclop, the seemoth and the exosuit is comming.
    A cargo ? why ? you can build storage unit in the cyclop and you can upgrate the seemoth with storage box. Thats it, this game do not need a cargo.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members

Like this.