Au Naturel Self Defense

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
edited September 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Obviously this game isn’t going to have purpose build lethal weapons, but that doesn’t mean players can’t defend themselves. So far the all methods of self-defense in the game are passive (with the exception of the knife, but that isn’t an adequate defense – more like a last resort). I was thinking there should be a greater diversity of means to defend one’s self… so here is a compilation of suggestions. Some sound very similar and thus are merely alternatives:

Optical Camouflage Suit / Active Camouflage Suit: Every pacifist’s dream, this suit blends the player into their surroundings making them harder to spot. Be it sneaking past Reapers, or getting photos of your favorite fish in their natural habitat – you can now do it in near total inconspicuousness. Still, creatures may be able to smell and/or hear you.

Biomimicry Suit: Keeping with the research side of things, this suit allows the player to mimic the coloration of various fish. Acquire DNA samples and analyze them, then use the data to program the suit. Congratulations, Stalkers don’t want to bite into something that looks like them, or perhaps your coloration advertises “POSINOUS – DO NOT EAT”.

Gasopod Depth Charges: Developed from samples of Gasopod DNA, these miniature canisters can be launched using the Propulsion Cannon, or planted and detonated as traps. Small creatures are immediately killed by the concoction and large predators are stunned for extended periods. As for megafauna, let’s just say they will think twice before charging you again.

Tranquilizer Rifle / Taser Rifle: An upgraded Stasis Rifle (upgrades! :smile:), this tool can knock out a single target for much longer than the contemporary rifle. The only downside is that it consumes more energy and only effects one target per shot. Charged shots increase stun duration and power consumption. The poison used could be developed from Gasopod DNA, or some other creature, but perhaps the rifle is merely an electroshock device.

Dazzler: Developed from researching Mesmer fish, this pistol like device can disorientate/scare away targets.

Well, it’s only a short list, but I didn’t want to overload like so many other suggestion posts do. Anyways, what do you guys think? :smiley:

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    Still shilling my Torpedo Grenade Launcher idea.
    Could use a bunch of different torpedoes for different things

Flash Torpedoes temporarily blind light-sensitive creatures, and scare away others. Made using magnesium.

Chum Torpedoes attract predators to an area and potentially fight each other. Made using any catchable fish.

Volt Torpedoes stun creatures and supply a small amount of power to vehicles. Made using a battery.

Crash Torpedoes release a concussive burst that knocks away creatures and blows away landscape. Made using crash powder.

Vortex Torpedoes create a whirlpool to suck in nearby creatures and items (Already implemented)

Could carry it around like a heavy weapon, or mount it to a Seamoth or Exosuit.
    Would need to be reloaded each time.
    Torpedoes shoot in a short arc, but can be charged up to fire long range.

Why call them torpedoes instead of grenades? Because they have tiny propellers on them that make them fly through the water.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    Still shilling my Torpedo Grenade Launcher idea.
    Could use a bunch of different torpedoes for different things

Flash Torpedoes temporarily blind light-sensitive creatures, and scare away others. Made using magnesium.

Chum Torpedoes attract predators to an area and potentially fight each other. Made using any catchable fish.

Volt Torpedoes stun creatures and supply a small amount of power to vehicles. Made using a battery.

Crash Torpedoes release a concussive burst that knocks away creatures and blows away landscape. Made using crash powder.

Vortex Torpedoes create a whirlpool to suck in nearby creatures and items (Already implemented)

Could carry it around like a heavy weapon, or mount it to a Seamoth or Exosuit.
    Would need to be reloaded each time.
    Torpedoes shoot in a short arc, but can be charged up to fire long range.

Why call them torpedoes instead of grenades? Because they have tiny propellers on them that make them fly through the water.

Ummm, why would the torpedoes have arching fire? With neutral buoyancy they can have a strait trajectory.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    So you can hit things on the other side of things.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    So you can hit things on the other side of things.

This is the future. It can be self guiding.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members

Is this applicable?
    The_Shark wrote: »

Is this applicable?

Those bullets aren't self guiding, they are laser guided. It's better to have sonar underwater.
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    Obviously this game isn’t going to have purpose build lethal weapons, but that doesn’t mean players can’t defend themselves. So far the all methods of self-defense in the game are passive (with the exception of the knife, but that isn’t an adequate defense – more like a last resort). I was thinking there should be a greater diversity of means to defend one’s self… so here is a compilation of suggestions. Some sound very similar and thus are merely alternatives:

Optical Camouflage Suit / Active Camouflage Suit: Every pacifist’s dream, this suit blends the player into their surroundings making them harder to spot. Be it sneaking past Reapers, or getting photos of your favorite fish in their natural habitat – you can now do it in near total inconspicuousness. Still, creatures may be able to smell and/or hear you.

Biomimicry Suit: Keeping with the research side of things, this suit allows the player to mimic the coloration of various fish. Acquire DNA samples and analyze them, then use the data to program the suit. Congratulations, Stalkers don’t want to bite into something that looks like them, or perhaps your coloration advertises “POSINOUS – DO NOT EAT”.

Gasopod Depth Charges: Developed from samples of Gasopod DNA, these miniature canisters can be launched using the Propulsion Cannon, or planted and detonated as traps. Small creatures are immediately killed by the concoction and large predators are stunned for extended periods. As for megafauna, let’s just say they will think twice before charging you again.

Tranquilizer Rifle / Taser Rifle: An upgraded Stasis Rifle (upgrades! :smile:), this tool can knock out a single target for much longer than the contemporary rifle. The only downside is that it consumes more energy and only effects one target per shot. Charged shots increase stun duration and power consumption. The poison used could be developed from Gasopod DNA, or some other creature, but perhaps the rifle is merely an electroshock device.

Dazzler: Developed from researching Mesmer fish, this pistol like device can disorientate/scare away targets.

Well, it’s only a short list, but I didn’t want to overload like so many other suggestion posts do. Anyways, what do you guys think? :smiley:

I still have to ask why can't a harpoon or spear still be a good weapon? I'm not asking for an hydro bazooka even though that would be interesting but still.
    edited September 2015
    I still have to ask why can't a harpoon or spear still be a good weapon? I'm not asking for an hydro bazooka even though that would be interesting but still.
    This is my understanding, or at least my own interpretation...
    1. First off, it seems like Natural Selection is Unknown World's openly violent game - and for purposes of diversifying gaming experience, thematic progression; expanding audience and age range, etc - Subnautica is meant to outwardly non-violent. Yes, there is death in the game, but it's a survival sandbox, so that is to be expected.
    2. Secondly, we haven't yet seen what the devs have planned. It has already been laid out that the Transfuser tool will allow players to manipulate themselves and creatures. Perhaps if you make every Reaper think you're their best friend (if only temporarily) than there is no need for lethal weapons. Of course, this is a double edged sword. Imagine brain washing some huge leviathan to go around slaughtering everything in sight while you much on some freshly filleted Peepers.
    3. Overwhelming popular opinion. We've done polls and it's pretty clear the majority of players don't want purpose constructed lethal options... not that tools wont have nefarious applications. :fearful:
    4. People may argue it doesn't make logical sense. Future space explores will have weapons... it's just an inevitability and it's been proven by humanity's progression thorough history. But artistic preference often times supersedes realism when it comes to video games.
    5. Alternative violence... i.e. running over shoals of fish with your Seamoth, or jabbing your Exosuit drill hand into that nasty looking Reaper's eye.
    edited September 2015
    Overwhelming popular opinion. We've done polls and it's pretty clear the majority of players don't want purpose constructed lethal options... not that tools wont have nefarious applications. :fearful:

You mean the poll here?
    Because, right now, 69 players saying "No" and 87 players saying "Yes" does not equal "Overwhelming Popular opinion against having weapons"

Those bullets aren't self guiding, they are laser guided. It's better to have sonar underwater.

I obviously didn't mean an exact copy of the EXACTO system. Internal sonar emitters would work even if the projectile was traveling over 340.29 meters per second (Mach 1 in air) because the speed of sound is faster in water. It could collect that information and adjust accordingly.
    You mean the poll here?
    Because, right now, 69 players saying "No" and 87 players saying "Yes" does not equal "Overwhelming Popular opinion against having weapons"

My thoughts exactly.
    edited September 2015
    That's just one poll. There have been many others in the past. Besides, they are merely straw polls, so take them with a grain of salt and they don't concern the Steam community either.

Also, nitpicking doesn't make the argument against lethal weaponry any more valid. Anyways, this isn't the place for this discussion.
    That's just one poll. There have been many others in the past. Besides, they are merely straw polls, so take them with a grain of salt and they don't concern the Steam community either.

If it's, in your own words, a "straw poll," then any others are the same, meaning there are no statistics to show one way or the other. So, in every case, lethal weaponry is a matter of personal opinion, rather than community. My view is still that people need to stop trying to prevent lethal weaponry being given to those who want it. That's like going to a pet store, and telling everyone they can't buy a dog, because you personally don't like dogs.
    Also, nitpicking doesn't make the argument against lethal weaponry any more valid.

Nor does it make the argument for it any more valid.
    Anyways, this isn't the place for this discussion.

Yeah, based on the way you set up this thread, to be all about self-defense... it was too late the moment you submitted.