How I envision the deep dark ocean

DetectableDetectable Oslo Join Date: 2015-09-04 Member: 207732Members
edited September 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Ever since I watched the little mermaid as a kid I have loved the open ocean. Sure it can be frightening, formidable even deadly, but at the same it can be beautiful and serene.

I have put more than 60 hours into Subnautica since I bought it and seen it develop into a great and promising game. The one thing I have really been wondering though is what lies beyond the edge of the map. If the planet we are on makes any geological sense then the shallows around the aurora wont cover the entire planet. Actually, most of the planet should be really deep dark oceans with little life and I hope the developers will include huge open biomes in the future, possibly a single giant biome connecting all other clusters of smaller biomes together; Giving a sense of vastness to the world and become a place where you can find predators so large the only option is to hide until they pass.

Here is somethingI wrote on reddit earlier:

"As you run out of natural resources near the Aurora crash site you are forced to abandon the relative safety of the nearby biomes and delve into the open ocean. As you take your Cyclops deeper down into the darkness you come across a vast open expanse of barren rocky plateus and razor sharp rocks for miles and miles. Nothing lives here, yet strange light emanate from several large cave openings that you can spot across the seabed. As you approach you become aware of a massive rocky trench, hundreds of meters wide; You can only begin to guess how deep it goes.
As you look down into the darkness from the observation room an alarm sounds. "MASSIVE LIFE SIGN DETECTED!" Something smashes into your Cyclops and water begin to pour in. Panicked welding stops the leak, but the pumping systems have malfunctioned and you realize nothing you can do will stop the Cyclops from sinking. The lights go out and the knee deep water is ice cold. You are alone, and the roars from below are getting louder."

I also made an image of how I think the abyssal plains of Subnautica might look like. I hope you enjoy it :)

hgaLERv.jpg

Comments