A Shrink Ray Weapon

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
edited September 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Its brilliant.
An idea conceived by the marvellous @jjust19

A shrink ray type weapon to make any creature virtually harmless.
Take a Reaper Leviathan from [Jaws Theme intensifies], down to
stahp-i-am-terror.jpg

Who's the apex predator now, ya shrimp!

Now, how to balance a weapon this powerful

Option A - Require it to be mounted to the Seamoth or Exosuit
A vehicle mounted shrink ray would make it almost exclusively for Reaper Leviathans, though would still be effective versus other creatures.

Option B - A handheld device that uses most of its power per shrink

Option C - Shrinky Dink effect is only temporary, Fantastic Voyage style. Don't want that little babby reaper in your fish tank when it wears off, yeah?

Option D - You have to keep the shrink ray trained on the creature as you shrink it, which would take time. Zapping a creature with the shrink ray would alert it to your presence, and cause it to either flee or attack you. So if you want a pocket reaper, you'd better learn to dodge while you shrink it down to harmless puppy size.

Comments

• IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Strink rays have always been that ridiculous idea that just makes no sense to me. Because you just can't shrink stuff without killing it or remaking it smaller. Since your crushing it which living things don't enjoy or you rebuilding it smaller which means you killed it so you to reassemble it to be weaker, dumber, and more likely to die again.
    I rather have a concussion rifle, that sends a shock wave that knocks out the animal/s for a period of time.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    We have a cell phone sized device that can build an enormous structure in seconds using lasers. I think we can be a bit lax with the science.
    Well the laser system I can see that as a 3rd printer that assembles things on a nano scale, which isn't impossible. Granted the laser part lets just call that a visual since the only way i can explain that, is it's not a laser since you can see it but instead more like a stream of the material being fired at the location then hit with a laser or something to harden it in place.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    A 3D printer
    that works underwater
    And can both create and erase entire buildings in seconds
    And is the size of a cell phone
    And not even a modern cell phone
    like a 1990's cell phone
    The erasing the building part, don't even going to try to explain a possibility for that. Because i don't got one.
    The speed of this we can say is from how fast time is moving in relation to our own. Also I can understand a 3d printer from what would be a class 2 or 3 civilization going a lot faster then our generation 1 3d printers. Thou granted not this fast.
    As for the size of the builder I just don't see it being that size, I mean the parts that spray the material and treat them sure. But since has to have an part that preps the material like titanium for being used. Unless the character for some reason turns all the material he has into thin wire so it can be just feed strait into the fabricators, without a part having to prep the material.

Also on the matter of time what type of star does this planet orbit and how fast is it's rotation, because right now it seems like the planet rotates fulling in less then what would be 24 hours in game time. If using the thirst and hunger gauges as a rough estimate for the time frame things are going off of. Unless the player is genetically modified to burn through calories and water at a much higher rate then we would.
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    I am pretty brilliant~
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I love it. I really like the idea of something that's usually really big and scary being smaller, and in fact kind of cute. Why do you think my profile image is a baby Great White?
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    i donno sounds a bit overpowered
    i donno sounds a bit overpowered

Which is why I discussed ways we could make it not overpowered in the OP