Exosuit Customization and Exosuit Bay

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, with the Seamoth almost done, and the Exosuit final model implemented, I feel like we might be getting our Totally Not A Tiny Jaeger Mech soon.

With that, I'd like to discuss a few things that I would like to be able to do with the Exosuit, once finally implemented.

Swapping Arms for Different Capabilities
Right now, upgrading the capabilities of the Seamoth consists of adding little black tubes to slots on its side.
What if the Exosuit handled this differently?

From what we've seen of the Exosuit, there are two concept models. One with a Drill on one arm, and a hand on the other, and one with Hands on both arms.

I imagine that being able to freely swap out different arm parts would greatly expand the functionality of the Exosuit, making it a widely versatile craft capable of mining, gathering, fighting, and exploring.

So, what parts would fit in the game, as well as on the Exosuit?
I've come up with a few suggestions for different parts that could work well.
  • Manipulator/Hand
    -Can grab and collect objects/items from the seafloor. Already planned, obviously.
  • Scanner XL
    -Larger, more powerful Scanner that has a wider range and faster scan speed.
  • Drill
    -Can bore into rock to extract hidden materials. Already planned as well.
  • Repulsion Cannon
    -Exosuit mounted Repulsion Gun with extra oomph for blasting big things further away. I also believe this one is already planned as well.
  • Gravity Probe
    -Creates a an effect similar to the gravsphere wherever the player is pointing, allowing them to drag the probe across an area and collect items, fish, etc. for easy gathering.
  • Torpedo Launcher
    -Arm part for launching Vortex Torpedoes. Requires a Fragment to be analyzed.
  • Grappling Hook
    -Arm part that fires an anchor that can attach itself to rock, metal, or flesh and reel the Exosuit towards it. Can be used to ascend quickly, to lasso creatures, or to tow disabled Seamoths or those big rocks.
  • Exo-Welder
    -Suit mounted welder that can rapidly repair multiple things in an area. For rapidly repairing heavily damaged seabases or submarines.
  • Exo-Builder
    -Suit mounted Builder that can rapidly build structures (Almost as fast as the FASTBUILD cheat)
  • Chainsaw
    -Large industrial saw for cutting through the toughest materials. Also makes a semi-effective weapon in fighting off hostile creatures. Can rapidly destroy things like Coral Tubes, Brain Coral, giant Koosh Coral, and Bone Sharks. Will retract into a sheath when not in use. Materials that can be sawed will have a different animation where the chainsaw digs in and starts cutting. Using the saw when not looking at a cuttable material would have the exosuit slash outwards with the chainsaw to break things.
  • Stasis Cannon
    -Heavy stasis weapon that fires an instantaneous beam that explodes into a stasis field on impact. Much more accurate than handheld models. Requires a Fragment.
  • Warp Cannon \!/
    -Experimental weapon that creates a point focused temporary Einstein-Rosen bridge, or wormhole, that sucks in anything nearby, teleporting it far away and possibly through time. The collapse of the wormhole can release a potentially fatal shock wave if the player or any creatures get too close without getting sucked through. Requires study of Warper DNA, and a rare Fragment*

Quite a list, but all of them would be fun to use.

Now comes the question of where this work will be done, since I doubt the player will be able to lift and carry around giant robot arms.

The Exosuit Bay would be like a vertically oriented Moon Pool.

11958162_883595078354952_2544206869373949380_o.jpg

11999660_883595275021599_1803309675406404241_o.jpg

Built with two floors, the bottom which pumps full of water to to open the big vertical split door, and the top floor to allow players passage through the module.

The door would automatically open when the player gets near in the Exosuit, and would close when the player walks away, similar to the Cyclops. When open, the water inside the Exosuit bay would behave the same as the water in the Moon Pool.

A Ladder connects the two floors, and sits in front of the middle corridor attachment point, facing away from where the Exosuit would stand.

A Exosuit Service Interface, or in layman's terms an "Upgrade Module" would be buildable on the bottom floor to construct and install upgrades and parts. It would have an upside down Y shaped flow chart, for Upgrades and Arm Parts

2j3l66f.jpg

Possible ideas for Upgrades would include
  • Hull Reinforcement
    -Reinforces the outer shell of the Exosuit, allowing it to operate at even deeper levels.
  • Storage Pod
    -Shoulder mounted storage pods, similar to the Seamoth model. Maximum of 2.
  • Thermal Shielding
    -Insulated plating increases survivability in extreme temperature areas
  • Radiation Shielding
    -Lead armor coating provides protection against radiation
  • Combat Armor
    -Reinforced armor improves defenses versus creature attacks
  • Electrical Defense Field (Same model as on the Seamoth)
    -Generates a powerful electrostatic field around the Exosuit to ward off creature attacks.
  • Power Efficiency Upgrade
    -Improves power efficiency by 400%
  • Hydraulics Upgrade
    -Improves walking speed, arm strength, and jump height
  • Self Destruct Override
    -Allows the player to manually start the power cell overload process and eject to safety before the Exosuit explodes.

Arm Parts are built the same way as any other tool, but are not added to the player's inventory, and are instead stored within the Exosuit Bay, ready to be installed on the Exosuit. The one downside to this is that you must build each left and right arm part separately.

Using the Service Interface is easy. Say you want to build the "Hardened Chassis" Upgrade. You would open the interface, click Upgrades, and then click the Hardened Chassis to first build it. Once built, the button for the Hardened Chassis will become blue and colored, instead of greyed out. Once the Upgrade is built, it will be automatically installed on the Exosuit. installed parts will be marked with a small indicator in the menu.

The same procedure is done for Arm Parts, except that arm parts cannot be uninstalled, only swapped out. Clicking another arm part will automatically swap the current arm part with the one that you clicked.

Hoo boy, that was a hell of a lot to write.
But if this were implemented in any capacity, I would be incredibly satisfied.
Hopefully the rest of you, the devs included, feel the same.

Have some good music for reading this much

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I get that its a lot to read, but I'd like some feedback on this.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Bumping because it took me two hours to write this and draw up the little mspaint sketches.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I'm just curious what upgrades we may have for this. I know there will be the obvious Power Efficiency, Depth, etc. For specialization I'd like to see a flame resistance upgrade, thermal power module, and a thruster boost module. As for arms I'd love to see this bad boy with a plasma sword as an arm to fight mano a mano against the Emperor and Reaper
    As for arms I'd love to see this bad boy with a plasma sword as an arm to fight mano a mano against the Emperor and Reaper

How about a thermal chainsaw?
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    A nuclear spear cannon maybe? Or how about an ionic claymore?
    No! Thermal Chainsaw!
    2083850-7___.jpg
    I've got a better idea. Having the Exosuit perform the Kamehameha, that'll send Reapers running
  • DarkPrince7256DarkPrince7256 Dallas Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207699Members
    The genius strikes again!! Awesome idea but I still disagree with portals. They subtract from gameplay. Other than that though, your idea seems pretty solid and I wouldnt doubt if something like this was to be implemented one day (Hopefully soon).
    *facepalm*
    Portal in this context means "doorway"
    The portals are just where they would connect to Corridors or other rooms
  • SmashBrownSmashBrown Kerbin Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207523Members
    Looks solid. Good idea.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I really like a deeper focus on the exosuit.

But I'd think the cyclops or another submarine should have a small exosuit bay with for example replacing the seamoth dock inside the cyclops with the exosuit bay. So refitting the cyclops for reinforcements, a deep dive to the lava zone and an exosuit to survive there and do some work otherwise impossible.

The exosuit should have simple modules like : reinforcement(for more depth), thermal shielding (for lava or arctic zones), radiation shielding (for harvesting uranium or repairing nuclear devices), shock shielding (against aggresive fish).

I like your idea of extra body attachments like drill and welder or something big as a small torpedo launcher (which can backfire if the target explodes too close).

As an additional suggestion I'd also like some bad fish that attach at the backside of an exosuit and discharge the exosuit air or power supply. Or sticky fish that start to immobilize the suit the more stick to the suit. And a mean, slow but deadly main enemy:

A really slow giant underwater amoebae that you can avoid, but once you make contact you get sucked into the mass and devoured by acid. Unless you have an emergency ejector module installed, loosing the exosuit, but not your life.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I really dig the idea of the exo being modular. I want it to be really advanced tech though. I want it to be so cool, but it takes much time to work up to, collecting all the frags. The Moonpool I think will suffice for the most part. People seem to be concerned about the legs hanging down in the water. By the looks of the design, the legs I think are going to fold up to a fetal position beside the driver compartment, hence the flat but slightly contoured sides. That should also negate any need for modification to the cyclops for transport of the exo. The ideas for a more advanced exo and moonpool are still very cool. Would be dreamy if implemented. Some kind of advanced version of the moonpool. A bigger sort of thing like the way a small bass boat compares to a yacht. The modular weapons, defenses, and tools are great ideas. I like the idea of a large thermo blade/sword. Mounted, more powerful versions of our hand held tools is a yes. In the end, a long slow build to an advanced mech would be great as long as it feels like alterra tech, and not borrowed from some mech game. Additionally the assembly of said mech would be great if it were intricate as shown in the pics above. Not just an upgrade console with holes. It can have that console like the moth, but only as an elementary and entry level upgrade system. The real meat are the modular upgrades that have to be built and added in some kind of manual fashion.
  • Xing777Xing777 Canada Join Date: 2015-09-06 Member: 207771Members
    Awesome, definitely needs its own docking bay.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    I think the Exosuit is just going to use the regular moon pool.
    Updated with @tarek 's mindblowingly awesome art.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    Never apologize for writing a lot. What matters is that what you wrote was creative, useful, and fits into the world. I love all of it except the Chainsaw, Warp Cannon, and Self Destruct for their lethal weapon applications, and we aren't sure yet how the Warper works and if we really will somehow be able to reproduce its natural ability to create portals.

Also, I love the idea of an Exosuit bay, just as you describe it and I especially love your grappling hook. I have wondered where the suit stores what it collects, it doesn't seem to have an visible storage compartments. For simplicity's sake and convenience it would be awesome if one of the arms had a minifabricator that could only makes a few things, which would be the basic tools like a welder, builder, etc so you wouldn't have to return to your exosuit bay to swap out its gear, at least on that one "tool arm".

As far as docking with the Cyclops, what if we could somehow, perhaps with the builder, swap out the Sea Moth bay with an exsuit bay? It happens to be two stories already...we would just loose that free space around where you jump into your Sea Moth.
    The point of the Chainsaw was to basically give it an Exosuit sized version of the Knife, considering I also suggested that it have a big welder and builder.

The Warp Cannon is not a lethal weapon. Blasting open a hole in reality and shoving a fish through it to the other side does no damage to the fish. The only damage would come from when the wormhole collapses, which would really only affect players, since any creature nearby enough to get hit with the shockwave would already have been sucked through.

I feel the Self Destruct is a balanced weapon in that, yes, you can hurt something, but it will cost you your entire Exosuit, plus whatever was in the suit's inventory, as well as whatever arm attachments you had crafted and put on it. More than a fair trade, and expensive enough to keep it from being spammed.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    Maybe it could have its own big knife, but other than as a weapon, I don't know what its purpose would be. The regular knife's purpose is to collect certain resources, using it as a weapon is secondary. Whether the suit had a big knife or a chainsaw (which I would rather were a lasersaw, or something appropriately futuristic), the creatures present at the depths you would use said suit, should react to it the same way as surface creatures do to the knife, that is, it would at most scare off a big guy, not kill him (I think the game is broken in that you can kill a boneshark or sandshark with the knife, given their armor).
    A big knife is basically what it would be, but the things we'd be chainsawing would take a bit longer to cut through than a single punch with the knife butt.

And of course the Exosuit could swing out with the saw arm, like how the player does with the knife.

It would be able to lacerate bone and sand sharks quite easily, however. Which of course it would because its a bigass chainsaw.
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Love the idea/concept. My only suggestions would be to add a Terraforming module (with a larger AOE) for deepsea mining operations and external storage pods.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited October 2015
    ... My only suggestions would be to add a Terraforming module (with a larger AOE) for deepsea mining operations and external storage pods.

Have the Terraformer re-designed to operate in several modes:

Barrier Mode: Useful for constructing huge bulwarks of solid terrain that predators cannot 'clip' through. Use it to build fish farms, pens and base defences.
    Terrain Analysis and Matching Mode: Permits replacement of terrain similar to the surrounding area. I do not like the default 'poo-stone' look at all. UGLY.
    Bulldozer Mode: Useful for shifting huge quantities of terrain.
    Scalpel Mode: Terraformer beam is constrained to a number of smaller sizes for creating finely-detailed structures. Even sculpture, for creative purposes.

And a resounding YES! to the idea of built-in external storage lockers on the ExoSuit. 2 x Small Lockers would be quite sufficient for most purposes.
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    And a resounding YES! to the idea of built-in external storage lockers on the ExoSuit. 2 x Small Lockers would be quite sufficient for most purposes.

I was thinking more of large expandable external storage pods (filled by using the Exosuit to mine/capture/collect) and can be jettisoned to float to the surface for later retrieval. This way, you can fill up the pod and ditch the extra weight when you need to keep moving.

That sounds cool as hell. Could even be used as emergency evac buoyancy to shoot you up to the surface.

Or you could full em with crash powder, have em shoot up into the belly of a monster and explode
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Blasting open a hole in reality and shoving a fish through it
    A sentence I never thought I would hear.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Get a coloured sketch plz i can do work on it...
    Get a coloured sketch plz i can do work on it...

Work?