Animations ideas

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
Yes, I'm aware that this game has far more animations than many of its class. Raising a hand with the monitor, actually physically opening doors, entering the SeaMoth from the Cyclops or Moon Pool. However, there are many things that seem to lack animations. I've always been a sucker for the details and realism, so just adding a few animations so everything seems to flow more naturally would make me a happy panda. The things I'm thinking need animations are as follows:
  • Entering and exiting Seabase hatches.
  • Entering and exiting the Cyclops.
  • Exiting the SeaMoth into the Cyclops.
  • Exiting the SeaMoth into the Moon Pool.
  • Entering and exiting the SeaMoth in the open ocean.
  • Climbing ladders.
  • Placing items onto the fabricator.
  • Catching fish.
  • Opening/closing lockers.
  • Eating and drinking.
  • Gasping for air after emerging from the water with less than one second of oxygen left.
  • Flipping a switch to refill the air tank after surfacing.
  • Putting away and grabbing items.
  • Collecting materials (ores, scrap metal, mushrooms, everything).

I'll edit this to add to the list if I think of anything else.

Yes, I'm aware that some of these are already being requested, and other ones (gasping for air) might seem a bit excessive. But, as I said, I love details. Something as simple as grabbing materials instead of magically teleporting them to your inventory would almost double my already excessive love for this game. Anyways, as always, feedback and additions to the list are appreciated.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The trick with this is to make it immersive, but not tedious.
    I can see opening/closing lockers being a pain, especially when crafting complex recipes that require multiple components.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    Like it! Lot's of extra work to get this to perfection though I guess. Some may damage a game perception such as ladders climbing done with fins on... I'd love to see how it's done actually )

But some effects would be totally cool to see such as a water inside Seamoth to be drained out and replaced with gas. Same with a similar effect when entering a double hatch door.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I can see opening/closing lockers being a pain, especially when crafting complex recipes that require multiple components.
    You realize, I hope, how little time it takes to grab a handle and pull? The full animation would be at most 3/4 of a second.
    jdanilov wrote: »
    Like it! Lot's of extra work to get this to perfection though I guess. Some may damage a game perception such as ladders climbing done with fins on... I'd love to see how it's done actually )

But some effects would be totally cool to see such as a water inside Seamoth to be drained out and replaced with gas. Same with a similar effect when entering a double hatch door.
    Thanks. As I said, I'm a sucker for details. Something as small as opening a SeaMoth, entering, and then purging the cockpit to sustain life. Even if the whole thing took like two seconds, I'd love it.

My main idea with all of this isn't just for the detail though. Keep in mind, SN is Rift compatible. Throwing in animations for anything the player does would further the already spectacular immersion of the Oculus. If you've ever wanted to escape from our own planet, even for a while, a Rift, headphones, a computer, and a lot of animations are all you really need. Besides imagination, but that's too much of an abstract concept to be considered part of the formula.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    Can't agree more, man.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    You realize, I hope, how little time it takes to grab a handle and pull? The full animation would be at most 3/4 of a second.
    You realize, I hope, how much that little bit of time will add up?
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    would you look at THIS
    quite some of your ideas are on the way already.
    would you look at THIS

YES! As I said, immersion.
    You realize, I hope, how much that little bit of time will add up?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. So, I thought of something. Let the players choose. Maybe in the options menu you could have a metric ton of toggle switches, turning certain animations on and off. You can make everything just about instant if you turn them off, or ramp up the immersion by turning them on. Maybe something like that.
    would you look at THIS

YES! As I said, immersion.
    I read my comment again and... wow it comes across very snarky.

What i wanted to say was: WOOP WOOP! The UWE guys don't leave anything to wish for in these regards^^
    If you scroll down a bit there are some really nice ladder animations.
    edited August 2015
    If you scroll down a bit there are some really nice ladder animations.

ORLY?

*looks*

Nice.
  • netshamannetshaman france Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203080Members
    I remember there was an animation some time ago about entering and exiting the lifepod: why it was abandoned suddenly after a couple of updates ?
    That was really cool !
    Bring it back !

netshaman wrote: »
    I remember there was an animation some time ago about entering and exiting the lifepod: why it was abandoned suddenly after a couple of updates ?

Wait, there was? I want it! That was one of my main complaints in the early game, you just warp into the pod.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    The first 6 on you're list are allready planned mabey the others to i just don't know about that.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    There is a animation for catching fish. Also, climbing ladders would take FOREVER.
    PajamaJams wrote: »
    There is a animation for catching fish.

Really? I guess I'm just not observant then. To me it seems like they just teleport into your hand. I'll have to go check that out again.
    PajamaJams wrote: »
    Also, climbing ladders would take FOREVER.

I'm aware. Having a long ladder animation would pave the way for the "lifts" that people want.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    Because in most of my builds, I have long ladder shafts. If there's a ladder animation, I'd have to sit there for 2x the time of how long it is to load a frickin world.
  • netshamannetshaman france Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203080Members
    edited August 2015
    In the lifepod animations that was released a long time ago in an experimental update , there was a ladder animation !
    The other was a hatch animation !
    Damnit !
    But a couple of updates later , they vanished !
    :(
    Thet was weird and awesome !
    Hey devs , why did you did that ?
    Bring them back !

The first 6 on you're list are allready planned