"ns2.exe - Bad image" error on startup.

SaltbeardSaltbeard USA Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206637Members
edited August 2015 in Technical Support
I just reinstalled the game after not playing it for about a year. When I run it - in administrator mode - I get the error, "[DIRECTORY]/d3dx9_43.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error..." (Error status 0xc000012f ) and then another popup saying "ns2.exe has stopped working". Without administrator mode I just get the stopped working popup.
It might also be worth noting that there is no Natural Selection 2 folder in appdata/Roaming.
I tried reinstalling 3 times, checked and saw that the d3dx9_43.dll was in both C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and the main NS2 directory.

I attached the tech support zip as well.

Can anyone please help? This was one of my favorite games when I got it, and I'd like to get back into it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You've reinstalled, but have you attempted to validate the cache? Sometimes Steam is wonky with installs.

Also, have you run the latest DirectX installs? Google it and get it from microsoft
    Looks like you aren't able to run the game at all based on your tech support zip..
  • SaltbeardSaltbeard USA Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206637Members
    Thanks for the reply IronHorse, I verified the cache before the first reinstall, but I'll do it again.

I've tried running DXSETUP.exe from directory/_CommonRedist/Directx/June2010, and I tried downloading and running the directx web setup from the microsoft site. It said it was up to date, and no installation was necessary.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Okay this might sound strange but try to update/disable the razer synapse tool. We had a similar case to yours where in the end the cause was the razer synapse stats tracking feature!

Original thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/137091/ns2-instant-crash-when-run

If that doesn't help please try to capture a crash dump as described in the above thread.
    Thanks, I updated razer and also tried disabling it and made sure it had no processes running. Unfortunately, it didn't have an effect.
    Here's the crash dump as well.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Saltbeard wrote: »
    Thanks, I updated razer and also tried disabling it and made sure it had no processes running. Unfortunately, it didn't have an effect.
    Here's the crash dump as well.

Strangely ns2 is showing up loaded twice in your dump. Try to start ns2 directly from the ns2.exe

Did you use this setup from the microsoft website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 ? (Just checking because there are a bunch of them)
    Starting up ns2.exe from the directory gives the same result. I made a crash dump, but didn't post it (almost no difference in file size from the last one, and it's a big file)

And yes, that's the setup I used, 'id=35'

And in case someone was going to ask, I'm not subscribed to any mods. And is it possible to run it in directx 11 without changing in game settings? Would that help?
    edited August 2015
    Starting up ns2.exe from the directory gives the same result. I made a crash dump, but didn't post it (almost no difference in file size from the last one, and it's a big file)

And yes, that's the setup I used, 'id=35'

And in case someone was going to ask, I'm not subscribed to any mods. And is it possible to run it in directx 11 without changing in game settings? Would that help?

IIRC there is not start parameter for that and as in your case ns2 doesn't even initializes the file system and therefor doesn't read any config files, so you can't really change it.

I guess you already tried starting it with administration rights? That's the last thing that comes into my mind usually causing these kind of issues.

BTW d3dx9_43.dll should not be in your ns2 install folder!!! So delete it if it is there.
    Yeah, that's the way it runs with administrator rights on. When it's off it just goes straight to "ns2.exe has stopped working" with no bad image error.
    Yeah, that's the way it runs with administrator rights on. When it's off it just goes straight to "ns2.exe has stopped working" with no bad image error.

Did you try to delete the d3dx9_43.dll in your ns2 install folder? It should not be there.
    edited August 2015
    ^THANK YOU!!!
    I just deleted it from the folder and ran ns2.exe and it opened! No idea why that happened, but it's solved now. I thanketh thee, GhoulofGSG9, good sir.

Solved. C:
    Okay great it worked out! Time for me to find out how that dll ended in your ns2 install folder.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    Wth.. Do you have any odd write permissions on that folder?

Can't imagine why you're the only reported case of receiving that dll file..
    Others have reported this who did a fresh install, but six play testers who also did fresh installs never ran into this, and not even myself after just trying... And there's very little different between your hardware / software and mine.

Hmmm.... interesting
    Well, after the last reinstall I tried setting the entire natural selection 2 folder to 'NOT read only' in the properties, since that fixed an error problem I had with another game (red alert 2) once.

But the problem was there before that, since I first reinstalled it about 3 days ago.

Maybe it has something to do with uninstalling, updating to windows 8.1, then reinstalling? Just a thought. I'm obviously not good enough with computers to know what info will help.