NS2 Instant crash when run

HeadShotHeadShot Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187211Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello everyone

since yesterday, i'm experiencing something beyond my understanding...
I am a very regular NS2 player since a long time ( I play nearly everyday and 1500+ hours), so naturally, yesterday night, like everyday, I clicked the "start NS2" button but this time bam, instant crash from the game. Ok well, no problem I restart it. Same, then i restarted steam and my computer. Same. First time I see that.
The game just won't start at all, when i start it i have black screen with the big NS2 debug box. And sometimes when i exit steam still think ns2 is still running but it doesn't, even the process is closed.
my log file is this long :

Date: 03/22/15
Time: 11:14:24:
Build 274
Windows 7 64-bit (build 7601)
Steam initialized
Num displays: 1

That's everything in it.

So I really don't know what to do, I tried deleting my mods, verifying the cache, basically everything recommended in the tech support post..

here is my link to my techsupport zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czls35y44gneso1/tech_support.zip?dl=0

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    Hi, welcome to the ns2 tech support.

To locate the source of your crashes we have to investigate a bit more.

1. Try to get the crashdump:
    How to create a windows crash dump (once ns2.exe frooze or crashed):

1. Open Windows Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).
    2. Find ns2.exe among the list of processes.
    3. Right-click ns2.exe and select "Create dump file". Task manager should indicate where the dump file was written to.

Normally it gets written into your temp folder. You can easily access that by using win + r and entering %temp%.

After you located the dump file zip it with tools like 7zip or WinRAR as much as possible and then upload it somewhere like gdrive, onedrive, mega or dropbox.

Last but not least post the link in the forum.

PS: In case the ns2 crash-reporter shows up ns2 did already create a mini-dump in your temp-folder you can also just upload (it's a lot smaller)

2. Start the game in the verbose mode:

Right-click at Natural Selection 2 in your steam library -> properties -> set launch options -> add -verbose .

Start ns2 and get us the verbose log ;)
  • HeadShotHeadShot Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187211Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here we go for the minidump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azy7l23vrat7vlz/minidump.rar?dl=0

As for -verbose, it doesn't work because the game don't even start...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    HeadShot wrote: »
    Here we go for the minidump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azy7l23vrat7vlz/minidump.rar?dl=0

As for -verbose, it doesn't work because the game don't even start...

My hope was to get a more details about what is going on at the initializing process with verbose (even if ns2 crashes at the start, in verbose mode it prints more details into the log).

Looking at your mini-dump ns2 crashes when it tries to initialize DirectX 9.

Usually this only happens if the DirectX dlls got corrupted or there are some kind of graphic driver issues.

Therefor try the following two steps to solve the issue:

1. Update/repair DirectX 9 by going into _CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010 in the ns2 install folder and running DXSETUP.exe
    2. Update your graphic driver http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Edit: Also make sure that you don't have any kind of DX overlay enabled beside the steam one (ns2 kinda doesn't like most overlays)
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    NVidia drivers were recently updated. So maybe that is the cause.
  • HeadShotHeadShot Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187211Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2015
    ah, I updated my drivers a few days ago, now you say that..

new log :

Time: 13:04:26:
    Build 274
    ModServicesClient initialized
    Steam initialized
    Creating the main window
    Initializing the render device
    Creating IDirect3D9Device with xSize=1920 ySize=1080 fullscreen=true

edit : something new ! I reinstalled dx9 using setup in ns2 forder. It downloaded stuff. but the game still crashed. So i went to setup.xml and switched to DX11. Now when i start the game it load ( i still have the crash dump but the game start normally). Now i'm trying to join a serv to see if it work. So apparently the problem is DX9.
    HeadShot wrote: »
    ah, I updated my drivers a few days ago, now you say that..

new log :

Time: 13:04:26:
    Build 274
    ModServicesClient initialized
    Steam initialized
    Creating the main window
    Initializing the render device
    Creating IDirect3D9Device with xSize=1920 ySize=1080 fullscreen=true

Oh well, that sounds like there is a issue with the latest nvidea driver, if you are already at the latest driver try to roll back: http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html
    edited March 2015
    edit : something new ! I reinstalled dx9 using setup in ns2 forder. It downloaded stuff. but the game still crashed. So i went to setup.xml and switched to DX11. Now when i start the game it load ( i still have the crash dump but the game start normally). Now i'm trying to join a serv to see if it work. So apparently the problem is DX9.

Finished downloading mods and initializing map. It work in dx11 so it's dx9 :( (even if i still have the fatal error box -.- )
    I don't know what nvidia is doing with their drivers sometimes... anyway thanks for helping
    edited March 2015
    I wonder if more NVidia owners are comming...
    Maybe give NV driver another chance and uninstall it. Download it again and install it. Then update the Microsoft part: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (It asks you to unpack itself somewhere, then run setup.exe, you can delete the folder after.)
    If it fails, download older NVidia driver(345.20): nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us and temporarily disable automatic updates or however it is done in NVidia software.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Be sure when you install a new nvidia driver to always select "custom" installation so that you can install it cleanly (by Uninstalling the old one first).

Something else to try : once you successfully get to the menu with dx11 try changing it back to dx9 in the options.

I just downloaded the latest and don't have issues myself, so I'd test out the above (clean install) before deciding to roll back drivers.. The fact that no one else has reported issue either adds more argument to this theory

Goodluck!
    Ok, so reinstalled correctly the driver, and reinstalled directx. Same issue with dx9.
    then I downgrades my driver to the last one that worked with ns2 : same issue.
    So probably my game is broken now.. But I have right now a terrible connection ( 100ko/s DL -.- ) so it will take some time to uninstall the game and reinstall. Well. dx11 for now i guess... :(
    (still don't know why I have this problem because i've been playing since 2 years now)
    edited March 2015
    Dont worry @IonHorse I always use custon installation 'cause i don't want the 3d driver to be installed, so of course i checked "perform a clean installation"
    As for changing in game : nope. With directx11 i have what you'll see next ( game running ok with fatal error behind) and with directx9 just a black screen fatal error + processus not responding)
    So apparently SOMETHING went wrong SOMEWHAT, but. meh.

But when i say "i think my game is broken now" it's because of what's happening now

720016Untitled.png

And yes the game is perfectly running in background as I take this image xD
    edited March 2015
    Well, couldn't hurt to check your HDDs in the meantime (in windows explorer, right mouse on a disk, properties, tools/utilities(not sure in eng version), and check). Do this for all your partitions (especialy system and where you have the game) and read the log at the end and report if it lists any relevant broken files. For the system partition, for which it will force you to restart, the log will be saved in Control Panels -> Administrative tools -> Event Viewer -> System Windows protocols -> Applications and in the list open last event of source Wininit, the log should be there.

Maybe post your techsupport.exe in game run in verbose mode again after you dismiss the error and it runs succesfully in the DX11 mode.

Run some other DX9 game, that use a lot of RAM to make sure your memory is not faulty and the likliness it is general DX9 driver error.

Open Control panels -> Programs and Features, and list them in the order they were installed. Report back any programs that were installed just before it broke.

In the minidump I see these meddling with the DX9: Razer software and steam overlay -> try to disable/uninstall them for now.

Read this one: dilbert.com/strip/2015-03-01 , to stay in positive mood and
    Maybe try being slightly more aggresive reinstalling the driver(do these in the given order):
    1) Uninstall ALL NVidia software from Control Panels -> Programs and Features (use the search to make sure you got all of them)
    2) Uninstall any Microsoft Visual C++ you have there. Make note of which year-versions and x86 and x64-versions you had!
    3) Restart (to make sure the driver is properly unloaded). Do not skip this step!
    4) Temporalily enable showing hidden and protected files in Control panels -> Folder Options and delete these (note you will lose your NVidia related settings and preferences), if they exist: X:\NVidia, X:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation, X:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation, X:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation, contents(NOT the folder itself!) of X:\Windows\Temp\, contents(NOT the folder itself!) of X:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Local\Temp, you can skip if it does not allow you to delete some files in the temp folders.
    5) Be carefull in this step or skip it, if you are not feeling confident. Delete these files: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um from X:\Windows\System32 and X:\Windows\SysWOW64 folders
    6) Make sure you have all Windows Update updates installed. Then Go to Start -> All programs -> Accessories, right mouse click Command Line and select Run as Administrator. Write "sfc /scannow" without the quote marks and press enter and let the Windows check itself. Verify game cache too, while you are at it.
    7) Install all Microsoft Visual C++ versions you had before back from this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2019667 (only those that have "redistributable" in their name there)
    8) Install the microsoft DX9 from previous post again: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (don't forget to run the dxsetup.exe)
    9) Install this one too to be sure: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    10) Download the last working NVidia driver from the site and install it
    11) restart and try to play in dx9 mode again
    It is perhaps over-paranoid list, but bear with me... Also I think it is relatively safe, but don't blame me if it breaks your PC, OK?

Well if that fails, I guess it must be the game. Reinstall it when they fix your internet connection: forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obbys-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure
    edited March 2015
    Ok, so. First of all, thank you for helping and for what you did. ( the strip was funny haha )

Well, I know well my computer and I knew everything was clean ( i worked as tech repair and my computer is more clean and ordered than my desk x) ) but eh, you took quite some times to write everything we should all test and do when something went wrong. So thanks anyway
    visual C++ was clean install, DX was working fine, NS2 is on my SSD ect... and I use to play warframe, BF4, homeworldRM .... many other games and I had no problem with them

But you said a very interesting thing : "In the minidump I see these meddling with the DX9: Razer software and steam overlay" and i remembered updating it before the crash
    So i went to my razer synapse (got I hate this bugged program) and disabled the stats tracking and bingo ! everything work like before, without errors ^^

result : back to normal ! so again thank you all and remember : razer synapse is the worst mouse program ever :p
    edited March 2015
    Glad to be of service. The list was of course last resort, of brute-force reinstalling GPU drivers, if the easy fixes before fail. I remember the days, when drivers were unable to clean their nonsense, and I had to do something similar to the list on my notebook every update.

Yeah, those overlays... I don't know what leads them to think they should override whole bloody display subsystem just to show their useless info on top...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Nice catch @krOoze !
    Razer Synapse stats tracking, eh? Gonna have to write that one down for the future..