More ambush predators

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
I'd like to see more ambush predators. Hanging down from the surface (like jellyfish tentacles), just floating there (like an anglerfish), hidden in the sand (like a SandShark), or lurking in the caves.

One that comes to mind is an anemone like creature with long tentacles that normally only come out of the ground 1-2 meters, sort of coiled up. However, if a lifeform sits above the creature for too long, it will extend up to 10 meters out, at around 1 meter/sec, and grab or sting them. Certain native sea life would also be vulnerable to this, and try to avoid.

Comments

• Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    Right now I think the sand sharks are the most interesting enemies and I'd like to see more stealth/ambush predators in this game. Like they could do a moray eel inspired creature that lures in wait in rock formations.
  • nephilim209nephilim209 Stockton, CA Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206784Members
    Personally, I agree. As it stands, there are only a few legitimate dangers in the game, besides forgetting to eat/drink, which has happened to me FAR more often than i'd care to admit. Besides my own stupidity, I've only been killed by Reapers (which always manage to scare the ever loving crap out of me, the devs did a GREAT job with that one...), Sand Sharks (which look creepy as all hell, but are nonetheless really friggin' cool), the Shark-things (whose name i can't remember at the moment and am too lazy to look up), and the BEYOND evil bomb-things (which irritate me beyond belief when I'm in a cave system and spontaneously turn into Reaper-bait, but nonetheless make the game that much more interesting.) The game needs more predators. Perhaps, like Racer and Macro suggested, the devs could come up with more "surprise" enemies. I am tempted to use the term "jump-scare" instead, but jump-scares, in my opinion, are a cheap way for a dev to make a quick scare. While Subnautica is most certainly not a horror game, I wouldn't mind if the devs took some aspects from the horror genre and implemented them here in the game. Say, a Reaper only makes noise when it detects you, which would always result in a guaranteed "holy shit!" response from the player, as well as make these guys ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING. The devs could maybe work on some predators that only appear at night. Taking from Mackro's comment, a creature that behaves like a Moray Eel would be scary as hell if I'm resource-farming at night, go near a dark spot in the rock, and suddenly get chomped. Perhaps have enemies that have a hole in the rock, perhaps with some faint bioluminescent(<--idk how to spell that right, my apologies) slime/dots/stuff scattered around the rock, so that when a player gets killed by it, they'll know exactly what made them shark bait (broo-ha-ha). Perhaps some more variation with the land enemies would be nice, as well. Outside of the face-huggers (my little nickname for those stupid crab things), i haven't found any other land-based enemy types. Which brings me to another topic: the ship. I think it would be great if the devs decided to expand a bit on the Aurora( i think thats the name of the ship but, once again, am too lazy to go and look it up). I see this huge flaming mess in the middle of the ocean, and GOD i just REALLY, REALLY wanna get all up in that. Seriously, i love everything about this game. While its not quite ready for full release, i think its pretty dang close with the quality that the creators have managed to achieve. And i love sci-fi stuff, and i see this ship in all is HD sexy glory and i just wish i could explore it. Perhaps the devs could make it so that Scrap Metal could only be found in areas close to the ship, as well as harvested from, say, damaged parts of inner hull? In either case, i hope that one day the Aurora (or Betty, or Steve, or Bob for all i care) will one day be its own massive area (perhaps randomly generated, to some degree, so as to make it a new experience every time?). Maybe blueprints and stuff could only be found within special computers scattered throughout the ship, stored in still-operational computers?? Finally, i find that the game doesn't need any long-range weapons. the people who are suggesting this forget that this is a survival game, not COD. While i love a good shooter, this game just doesnt work with an assault rifle in my hands. While i would personally like to see, maybe, a retrievable throwing spear or net, so that its easier to catch fish for food/water, thats something that can be put off until much, much later in development. When it comes to the Terraformer, could you maybe update it a bit? I find that just spawning landmass in spheres leads to a rough and bumpy surface that takes far too much time to patch up. Not to mention how abysmally hard it is to completely delete landmass that the player made. The spherical format leads to lots of tiny bits just lying there in the middle of the ocean, and I still haven't managed to delete any of it. While not a glaring issue or anything, its something that just sets off my inner perfectionist (you dont wanna know what happens when my base floods). Subnautica is a phenominal game, easily blowing any other survival game completely out of the water (at least the ones that i've played. Sorry, minecraft, but without Mods, it just gets tedious...). Honestly, the only thing i genuinely dislike about the game is the distinct lack of a definite goal, a problem shared with many, many members of the "survival" genre. While obviously the point of the game is to survive, this goal is just too open-ended to feel satisfying. Indeed, a player could decide that they found a fish to eat, concluded that they have "survived", and believed they finished the game. With such an undefined target, the player could easily feel as though the game is monotonous and tedious, despite the undeniable quality of the game. However, as i finished typing this, it was pointed out to me that the devs might already be working on not just a goal for the player to achieve, but a full-on story mode for the game. Imma leave that up there, as i am a lazy bastard and don't want to take the time to delete all that. Anyway, thats all i have for now. I want new, more varied predators and dangers in general, more exploration on the Aurora, and a few minor grievances that can, honestly, just be ignored if the devs so please. Hopefully, the devs get ahold of this and take a look at it. I'd love to see more dangers in the game, because, as it is, i kinda feel like the game is just... non-threatening, i guess?? its just not that dangerous, as it is. Either way, the devs have obviously put in an absolutely mind-boggling amount of work into this, and its even more obvious that they put their hearts and souls into this game. I honestly hope they continue to update the game, perhaps even adding content long after the full release. They've done one hell of a job with this game, and i cannot WAIT to see more!!
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    edited August 2015
    Say, a Reaper only makes noise when it detects you, which would always result in a guaranteed "holy shit!" response from the player, as well as make these guys ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING.

This. When there are mobs in games that only make sound when they know you're there, it can be terrifying.
    Exhibit A:
    2959702_com_minecraft_creeper.png.jpeg

These guys are silent until they start their attack. That instant where you hear that hiss behind you is the most terrifying single moment in Minecraft.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    Right now I think the sand sharks are the most interesting enemies and I'd like to see more stealth/ambush predators in this game. Like they could do a moray eel inspired creature that lures in wait in rock formations.

Perhaps something like this? ;-)
    The Crabsnake is REAL!
    Eunice aphroditois (colloquially known as the Bobbit(t) worm) is an aquatic predatory polychaete worm dwelling at the ocean floor.
    science-fact-friday-bobbit-worm-graboids.jpg
    bobbit-2.jpg
    bobbit-1.jpg
    20060402_bobbit_worm_2_large.jpg
    jZM4WH3.gif
    IOlpPQK.gif