[BUG] Cyclops Issues

Bradley_DangerBradley_Danger USA Join Date: 2015-07-08 Member: 206071Members
edited July 2015 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Early Development build 19974 Jun 15

The ever buggy Cyclops!

Don't place the Cyclops near the starting point where escape pod is, it can get stuck sideways and you can't go through the doors inside. If you try moving it from the outside when it is stuck this way, it might roll over and kill you!

Once I fell through the Cyclops and was walking on the ocean floor without the air indicator. I finally fell into a tunnel below and could swim again.

My Cyclops is now stuck in the air so high I can't get in....

Can't seem to upload anything or paste to this window to show a pic either :(

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    It is possible to get the cyclops stuck. Especially if you build it over a very shallow bit of the sea. Not sure that is a bug, just annoying. It would be odder if it didn't roll around when you dropped it onto solid rock from mid air.

You have to put images on someuplace like imgur and link to them.
  • Bradley_DangerBradley_Danger USA Join Date: 2015-07-08 Member: 206071Members
    I don't know what that is. There is no direct upload?

I suppose I could agree with you on the shallow drop for the Cyclops, but I didn't know what I was in for when I started building it. That was more of a side tip I suppose. My Cyclops is still stuck a significant distance in the sky for some reason however, that was a random thing that happened while I was gathering materials. I have tried reloading a few times, and it is still stuck.

I suppose I could build a new one, but all of my gathered materials are still stuck in the old one.
    More bad news, it looks like my only fix is a restart. When I built the Cyclops I got the bright idea to salvage the fabricator from the escape pod. Before I left the Cyclops and it got mysteriously stuck in the air, I left the builder inside the Cyclops. Face palm!
  • Nathan_FosterNathan_Foster 127.0.0.1 Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206117Members
    edited July 2015
    More bad news, it looks like my only fix is a restart. When I built the Cyclops I got the bright idea to salvage the fabricator from the escape pod. Before I left the Cyclops and it got mysteriously stuck in the air, I left the builder inside the Cyclops. Face palm!

I had a similar bug happen to me. My Cyclops was just high up in the air, completely upside-down one day when I exited my base. I ended up swimming in the water directly beneath it, which was when it fell out of the sky and onto my character.

My guess would be that forcing the game to update the area the Cyclops SHOULD'VE been might have fixed it.

Edit: Fingers slipped.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Ahh, I had assumed that eh stuck in the sky thing was related to it being jammed against something with the hatch out of water. Instead it seems like the cyclops is exiting the simulation relevancy distance and getting stuck in the sky after some sort of bounce. Does that seem right?

Do you have reproduction steps? My guess is something like leave one end near the ground and swim a away and you might get lucky when you come back.
    I exited to gather resources, and I came back to the Cyclops floating in the sky. It took me a minute to figure out where it was. I already started a new game and deleted that one, I am not sure I could reproduce it or not. I kept a screenshot though!
  • NDEENDEE Germany Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206144Members
    have someone tried to use the terraformer in this case, when it's sideways, to dig it free ? Could possible work.
    @Bradley_Danger If it happens again get me a copy of your log before you restart the game. It should not just be floating off on its own.

@NDEE that should work,
    Roger! No issues since the new game, but if it reproduces I will keep the game!
  • Storesund98Storesund98 USA Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205963Members
    I have seen a youtube video where a cyclops was high in the air but when the player went into the "spectate mode" and flew the camera up there he was somehow able to get it down by getting above it and descending.
  • surelbsurelb UNK Join Date: 2015-07-27 Member: 206435Members
    The builder should have a detection system to see if there is at least 50m of depth available for the cyclops to be built.
    That seems like exactly the sort of thing I can see myself thinking stranded on a strange world with a machine that builds submarines. Much like having the knife cut holes in your base I feel like this is a case where the player really should be able to screw something up. It is a recoverable error and one that seems fairly obvious in hindsight.

Most of all though its not a bug.

With regard to the why the sub falls, basically the physics simulation stops at a certain distance from the player. The world freezes there until you get close enough for the game to care about it again. This is called relevancy. The issue is the amount of stuff inside relevancy increases in a very big way as you increase the radius of a sphere. (4/3* PI *R ^3) so you have to limit it.