Size of escape pod isn't of proper scale in game as it is in vid

RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
Just noticed this, the scale of the pod is considerable much smaller in game than it is in the intro video of the game.

Watch and look closely at the scale size of it compared to the character in the vid and then see the size of it in game.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yup, you caught us. We're Pod-Size-ist ;)
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This is awesome. haha
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    meh does not rly matter
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    At least that is consistent through the whole trailer.

Unlike when the player falls off the lifepod into the shallows, and miraculously he's suddenly in deep water about to be devoured.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited April 2015
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Yup, you caught us. We're Pod-Size-ist ;)

Got a good laugh out of this.
    tarek wrote: »
    meh does not rly matter

For some people I would think, yes it would. Inconsistencies between design and what's in game sometimes bothers people, doesn't bother me too much though.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    At least that is consistent through the whole trailer.

Unlike when the player falls off the lifepod into the shallows, and miraculously he's suddenly in deep water about to be devoured.
    Just because the lifepod in game starts in the shallows doesn't mean it starts in the shallows in the trailer.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig - 1m11secs player is in the shallows, 1m12secs he is in deep water, without moving.

I still think it is one of the best gametrailers I have seen though :)
  • KodasaKodasa New Zealand Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203545Members
    edited April 2015
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig - 1m11secs player is in the shallows, 1m12secs he is in deep water, without moving.

I still think it is one of the best gametrailers I have seen though :)

He did turn around, and the camera panned around him. Whose to say he wasn't on the edge of a large ocean cliff? To one side, shallow-ish water, sunlight and geological formations etc. To the other side, where the big critter came from, a sheer drop into the murky depths from whence the creature came. It would make sense that the fish were running for shallower water as it would allow them to escape the big nasty coming up behind the player.

If I was to point out ANY design inconsistencies, I think the "emergency CPR" bit should be in the game itself. Also the characters visor design. He had a full face visor when I climbed out of the escape pod, a nice glass bubble around the face with reinforced plating in the back, which should allow for perfect peripheral vision etc. However in the game he has the outline of goggles a scuba diver on earth would wear.

One could also nitpick the inconsistencies surrounding the explosion of the Aurora...
    A. The ship doesn't explode immediately like that.
    B. It doesn't make a massive wave like that.
    C. In the trailer "Siri" as I've taken to calling her, didn't give you a bunch of flavor talk about the dark matter drives.

There are many many inconsistencies between the trailer and the game itself, but that's what happens when you advertise with a pre-rendered cutscene instead of gameplay footage. Still a fantastic trailer though, really sets the mood.