A few ideas for Fauna

EksCelleEksCelle The Laurentian Abyss Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203310Members
First off, let me say that I love this game and I especially love the dedication the devs are giving to it. I realize that there are already many more creatures that the Devs are still working on and still planning on adding to the game, but these are just some ideas I've had floating around my head for a while. Most of them are based on real-life underwater creatures, though so I'm not sure if they'd be very applicable to the game.

Whale - The 3 largest creatures in the game are the Reaper Leviathan, Sea Emperor, and Reefback. Two of these are hostile. So the Whale is to balance that- it's a massive, docile creature. Not nearly as big as the Sea Emperor's eventual size, but larger than any other creature. Perhaps slightly larger than the Cyclops?

Filterfish - Can be used as an alternate source for Salt due to their unique way of filtering the water they swim in. Passive.

Sea Snakes - Small, defensive creatures that live in the sand. If swimming too close to their home, they'll pop out of the sand and start hissing at the player. If the player persists or strikes the snake, it will bite. They could also be found swimming around outside of the sand; When they're doing this they're completely passive.

Lamprey - Similar to the Bleeder, but instead of being found swimming around, they're found latched to cave walls. Defensive, so they only attack if approached too closely. Could possibly attach to the underside of the Seamoth and pop off and attack when the player exits the vehicle.

Barnacles - A passive creature. Their tendrils can be found extended and blowing in the currents. If a fish enters these tendrils, they're sucked in and consumed by the barnacle. Harmless to the player. And perhaps, the more you explore with the Cyclops, Barnacles could appear on the side of the hull, although they wouldn't harm the ship at all, and you could clear them off with a knife.

Tube Worms - A defensive creature. Normally they're found blowing in the currents feeding on the chemicals from volcanic vents, but if the player gets too close they'll lash out and attack. Perhaps found in the Lava Zone and around volcanic vents.

Mermaids - A passive creature. Not really mermaids, But they have a large tail fin, a torso, two arms and a head, so one might confuse them at a distance. Of course, they'd be extremely rare. Could perhaps lure the player towards them as a trick to get a different, aggressive creature's attention. (Example: Player sees Mermaid in distance, calling for them. Player approaches Mermaid, mermaid quickly swims away, and the Sea Emperor attacks the player.)

Anyways, those are some of my ideas for future Fauna. Any input would be nice.

Comments

• tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    yes to all with an alien twist :D

in fact I was suggesting they try to find a way to generate thousands of species randomly like no man sky... but I dont want to cramp the developers style
  • ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    tarek wrote: »
    yes to all with an alien twist :D

in fact I was suggesting they try to find a way to generate thousands of species randomly like no man sky... but I dont want to cramp the developers style

Yea I think they are going the more controlled/direct route with the Fauna considering the world isn't randomly generated.

That said, they could introduce huge amounts of variety even within the same species to give variety and excitement in spotting a rare genetic anomaly in the wild.
    indeed .. I mean they can even "generate" the creatures THEN add them to the game if they want and not let the game auto generate them ....

but I was thinking if they are going to make the map MINECRAFT sized (8 items bigger than earth) their should be LOADS of plants and animals and artifacts and stuff to discover maybe some friendly NPC alien race too :P hehe

anyways I rly cant w8 for them to add combat and more creatures ... I mean sure exploration is great ... but getting swarmed by bone sharks with no chance to escape gets kinda annoying
  • ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    indeed .. I mean they can even "generate" the creatures THEN add them to the game if they want and not let the game auto generate them ....

but I was thinking if they are going to make the map MINECRAFT sized (8 items bigger than earth) their should be LOADS of plants and animals and artifacts and stuff to discover maybe some friendly NPC alien race too :P hehe

anyways I rly cant w8 for them to add combat and more creatures ... I mean sure exploration is great ... but getting swarmed by bone sharks with no chance to escape gets kinda annoying

The biggest thing which makes me excited for this game; mod support. Can you image what a whole community could do creating their own creatures to place in the world with their own behaviors?!

Generating creatures like Spore? That could be cool to see too :)
    Zergonuz wrote: »

The biggest thing which makes me excited for this game; mod support. Can you image what a whole community could do creating their own creatures to place in the world with their own behaviors?!

Generating creatures like Spore? That could be cool to see too :)

yes yesssssssssss

my skyrim is already jam packed with mods I cant even live without ... the modding community can make some amazing stuff indeed

• Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    I agree with Eks' suggestion of adding some kind of whale. I'd also enjoy a giant alien eagle ray that casts a big shadow when it "flies" above you.
    article-2009720-0CC8A0EC00000578-906_964x684.jpg

And for night time diving some form of angler fish, whose bright bait looks like a crystal you can collect (like quarz).
    image_4caa0ac3a8212.jpg

lol well the wild life has not adapted to humans just yet but yes more fishies plz
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    I think that there should be absolutely massive creatures (500ft maybe) but the sea emperor should have different sizes along with some physical changes with each new size such as bigger tusks. But the biggest size should be the largest animal in the game (although there should be some plants that are bigger).
  • robertfgreenrobertfgreen United States Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203459Members
    EksCelle wrote: »
    First off, let me say that I love this game and I especially love the dedication the devs are giving to it. I realize that there are already many more creatures that the Devs are still working on and still planning on adding to the game, but these are just some ideas I've had floating around my head for a while. Most of them are based on real-life underwater creatures, though so I'm not sure if they'd be very applicable to the game.

Whale - The 3 largest creatures in the game are the Reaper Leviathan, Sea Emperor, and Reefback. Two of these are hostile. So the Whale is to balance that- it's a massive, docile creature. Not nearly as big as the Sea Emperor's eventual size, but larger than any other creature. Perhaps slightly larger than the Cyclops?

Filterfish - Can be used as an alternate source for Salt due to their unique way of filtering the water they swim in. Passive.

Sea Snakes - Small, defensive creatures that live in the sand. If swimming too close to their home, they'll pop out of the sand and start hissing at the player. If the player persists or strikes the snake, it will bite. They could also be found swimming around outside of the sand; When they're doing this they're completely passive.

Lamprey - Similar to the Bleeder, but instead of being found swimming around, they're found latched to cave walls. Defensive, so they only attack if approached too closely. Could possibly attach to the underside of the Seamoth and pop off and attack when the player exits the vehicle.

Barnacles - A passive creature. Their tendrils can be found extended and blowing in the currents. If a fish enters these tendrils, they're sucked in and consumed by the barnacle. Harmless to the player. And perhaps, the more you explore with the Cyclops, Barnacles could appear on the side of the hull, although they wouldn't harm the ship at all, and you could clear them off with a knife.

Tube Worms - A defensive creature. Normally they're found blowing in the currents feeding on the chemicals from volcanic vents, but if the player gets too close they'll lash out and attack. Perhaps found in the Lava Zone and around volcanic vents.

Mermaids - A passive creature. Not really mermaids, But they have a large tail fin, a torso, two arms and a head, so one might confuse them at a distance. Of course, they'd be extremely rare. Could perhaps lure the player towards them as a trick to get a different, aggressive creature's attention. (Example: Player sees Mermaid in distance, calling for them. Player approaches Mermaid, mermaid quickly swims away, and the Sea Emperor attacks the player.)

everything but the mermaid. also give each thing different names... ffs we arent on earth
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I would like to have some sort of barnacle-like thing that would sometimes show up on your sea base/submarine and damage the hull if you don't clear them off. It would add an upkeep factor to the game, and encourage you to have one big central base, rather than lots of little ones, since if you stayed away from a base or left your cyclops for too long it would be destroyed.
  • SuburbanCamoSuburbanCamo New York Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203565Members
    EksCelle wrote: »

everything but the mermaid. also give each thing different names... ffs we arent on earth

What he said, but i do like your ideas. The mermaid sounds like a really creepy alternative to the mesmer. They actually do have barnacles in the game, but they don't work like that at all. They just hang around. I really like the rest though.
  • InogoodatUsernameInogoodatUsername Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203377Members
    I think the mermaid idea was describing something that very vaguely resembles a mermaid. So like a whale tail crablike arms and a lamprey face. This could be a sentient race on the planet.
  • theodoulostheodoulos United States Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203448Members
    So what are your thoughts on an extremely cute creature that would get peoples attention but end up being hostile? Perhaps a trigger of some sort that they are docile at first, but then become hostile (docile during day, hostile at night; hostile if you have food in inventory as examples). Just a random thought I had...thinking of a situation like jacksepticeye reacting to its cuteness and taking it aboard the Cyclops but then it turns hostile and what his subsequent reaction would be...lol. Again just a random thought and want to see others thoughts on it.
  • Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    edited April 2015
    187505.jpg
    Mermaid.... what about something similar to the "Merman" creature from "Cabin in the Woods"?
    After it ate something blood sprayed out of those holes in its back.