Cyclops docked and charging (picture)

lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members

Comments

• VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Agree :) We need the ability to dock and charge up power of vehicles using the base power generators for sure! It gives a good reason to come back to base, and also eases the use of constantly finding 'old' materials in the shallows etc. once we've got a more constant power generation up and running.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    If so the power generator recipe needs a tweak
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited March 2015
    You might build bases upon those hot lava holes to provide the required energy for charging the Cyclops. This seems somehow ... hmm, predestined to me. But maybe there are other sources in the future? Anyway, the need of charging means the need for bases as well. Limited vehicle range would require more bases to explore the world - would require to collect more base building resources, specific search for appropriated energy sources and would require(!) Cyclops to transport these resources if you have to build in areas with e.g. no titanium around. Would mean: there are areas on the map that simply cannot be reached and especially left safely before fulfilling all requirements. Gripping. And b.t.w. ... THIS could solve the 'limited map problem' as well.
    I think it would be a definite improvement-- but my issue still remains: If there's nothing worthy of note in the area, I won't build a base, and I won't explore

If there is, this would be an obvious and great addition to the Cyclops mechanics, and how it can synergize with bases
    Seldkam wrote: »
    If there's nothing worthy of note in the area, I won't build a base, and I won't explore
    Yeah, you're right. But you'll never know what's behind an area before you use the source and build a base to go further. Maybe just some wicked fragments, creatures or sights?
    lxh wrote: »
    Seldkam wrote: »
    If there's nothing worthy of note in the area, I won't build a base, and I won't explore
    Yeah, you're right. But you'll never know what's behind an area before you use the source and build a base to go further. Maybe just some wicked fragments, creatures or sights?

True as well, but then again, it's a matter of which area the players will want to explore-- if there is a different area which is more interesting, no matter what "could" be in a different area I won't really be going there(me personally)
  • psipocpsipoc London Join Date: 2015-03-16 Member: 202216Members
    I think maybe a drilling station add-on to base would be cool so that you can drill down into an alternative powersource (geothermal energy), but you have to maintain the drilling sections against temp increases or other damage.
    edited March 2015
    PS: It could be some 'long time motivation' ... especially if you have to use different kinds of energy sources which you have to find the proper technology and resources for. E.g. .. no charging here before you can build the uranium breeder ... or hunt some special dangerous creatures which contain the source ... or whatever :D
    I like that better now, I was just bring pessimistic loo
  • 2ugly2ugly USA Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201677Members
    Base upgrade to nuclear, before you can start charging the Cyclops at it. Otherwise you are just moving the need for Power packs from the sub to the base. Lasting power is the answer not moving the location of the drain.
    edited March 2015
    2ugly wrote: »
    Base upgrade to nuclear, before you can start charging the Cyclops at it. Otherwise you are just moving the need for Power packs from the sub to the base. Lasting power is the answer not moving the location of the drain.
    You are right, lasting power! But nuclear needs supplies ... its true lasting is pollution. The idea is to use all different kinds of energy sources depending on the respective area and its resources. Could be thermal heat, tide, current, chemicals, ...

Or, harness a creature and keep it as a pet (cough cough shocker cough cough)

That was half a joke :P
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    We should be able to build a nuclear plant in side the Cyclops. I wouldn't mind having to harvest the ore, I am find loads of it now and have no use for it at the moment. The size of the plant can be scaled to fit better then the current one more vertical then flat to save floor space would be nice. It could be placed behind the sea moth or below the engine in the ramp space that leads down to the sea moth bay doors. B)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Didn't know this idea is a year old or took a year for the devs to get implemented. A base recharging its vehicles/subs is the most natural idea I think. It also gives bases more purpose or increases the number of bases built.
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    This is great. But I was hoping I could add nuclear power so I could name my Cyclops Sea View
  • DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    ElCabong wrote: »
    This is great. But I was hoping I could add nuclear power so I could name my Cyclops Sea View

Not a bad idea. The issue of Clops power consumption is raised though. It is way too innefecient at present.

Cylops "charging stations" based here, and there is doable. Assuming that energy production becomes effecient in the future.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Duma wrote: »
    ElCabong wrote: »

Not a bad idea. The issue of Clops power consumption is raised though. It is way too innefecient at present.

Cylops "charging stations" based here, and there is doable. Assuming that energy production becomes effecient in the future.

They are working on it atm. You can see the ? in the blueprints section come and go on experimental and creative build.
  • HormanHorman Germany Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214292Members
    I like these pics of the docked cyclops...
    and i also like these big bulky round windows in the second pic.... thats also something, I would like to have :)