Tools and vehicles of Subnautica

DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
I recently made a discussion of wildlife players would like to see in the game. I think it's appropriate to make one for tools and vehicles to aid the player. So, here are my ideas:

An underwater mech suit. The player does not have many offensive option and will need something to properly defend against things like bone sharks (besides the stasis rifle). The suit could be used to more safely collect materials as well. There could even be two versions of the suit like there are of the submersible, the bigger able to defend against the leviathan.

A harpoon gun. This one is obvious. No need to explain why. Maybe with different versions.

Also, the maximum depth of the cyclops needs to increase. A sub that size I expect to go much deeper than 100 meters. Frankly i would expect it to go deeper than the seamoth. But there could be somd science I'm not understanding there.

That's really all I have, can't wait to hear what y'all have to say commenters!

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Mech suit is going to be in the game, for sure (at least last I heard)

Most people here know my opinions on harpoon guns and the like :P lol (hint: don't like them)

I'd say this is an important topic, as this, besides the creatures, could very well make or break the game for me. Since there are so many concept arts for different vehicles, I'd like to see a lot more than we do now, but I suppose the Devs need to implement the other mechanics first, before fleshing out other ones

Would like to see a boat, frankly lol
  • DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    @Seldkam a boat would be interesting. Maybe it could go ridiculously fast, otherwise I don't see the point of it since there is the seamoth. Why don't you like harpoon guns?
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2015
    I would love to see a boat as well, with a glass bottom and some cool tools like depth measurement, a GPS map where we can write notes etc. to go back to interesting places, and a potentially fairly short-range camera drone we can drive down autonomously and then 'pull' back up with a line of some kind when needed. Maybe this drone could be 'for science!' and allow us to gather samples and bring them back up for analysis.

It could be made very compelling by having the player find small nooks and crannies impossible to dive into and marking them to come back later with the drone, to explore where no human has gone before :D
  • PitoregPitoreg Poland Join Date: 2015-03-02 Member: 201636Members
    @Pitoreg there is already the seamoth, so unless the devs gave the seamoth a depth limit and there was another one man sub that could go deeper than the seamoth, there isn't really any point to add another one man sub.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Eventually I think they plan to give the seamoth a depth limit, as well as alter the depth limit of the cyclops. Judging from some things I've seen on the trello they have plans for a sub that dwarfs the cyclops in size.
  • PitoregPitoreg Poland Join Date: 2015-03-02 Member: 201636Members
    The picture I posted is an ROV (remote operated vechichle) that can be launched from cyclops for example, and harvest materials normaly unaccesible for player due to excessive radiation near crashed ship. It can also be usable to explore wreckage of ancient alien ships (which I hope to see in game) too dangerous to acces.
    @Seldkam a boat would be interesting. Maybe it could go ridiculously fast, otherwise I don't see the point of it since there is the seamoth. Why don't you like harpoon guns?

mainly since I liked the idea of this game having its own genre of survival where the player feels seriously worried about predators

basically why a harpoon gun when we could just get something non lethal that would defend us just as well? Seems slightly more interesting to me
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited March 2015
    I'd like to see evolutions of the Cyclops and Seamoth. Rather than 'expand outwards', treat vehicles as their own skill trees and retrofit them for your needs as you go deeper or stay shallow. These upgrades probably would be performed with a Seabase facility that allows them to dock, and maybe reversed to the base forms.

Upgrade - SeaFly: SeaMoth variant with increased power efficiency and increased speed above 50m. Pretty much a specialized travel craft to go from point A to point B
    Upgrade - SeaCrane: 4x4 storage area, can interact with items with LMB. More specialized for deepsea operations

Upgrade - Titan: Cyclops with a gravity-sphere-like section which captures small fish in small dedicated cargo bay, increased maneuverability. Drive-thru food :)
    Upgrade - Manticore: Cyclops with a deployable electrified hull or stasis countermeasure and increased depth resistance.
    @Zourin i love the vehicle tree. Although I feel that the names Manticore and Titan might be swapped.
    edited March 2015
    Very simply: No item or material should ever become 'obsolete'. Constructors should be needed for the Cyclops/Moth, but they'll need to be refitted/upgraded at a seabase. An upgrade to allow them to be deployed underwater? maybe, but it should require the Constructor itself as the base component.

Example: the Airbag item is pretty useless once you start going pretty deep, since by the time you realize you need air, you'll die before you surface. Rather than the item becoming obsolete, make it the primary ingredient in a sticky-inflatable (like the purple goos, only as strong as five) for environment manipulation. Simple crates obsolete because you have piles of lockers? Why not combine them with Beacons to make a beacony cache. WHen it's full, you can put the sticky-inflatable on it and float it to the surface for recovery rather than haul it in person.

There are other upgrades, like combining GravSphere's with Dive Reels to make an anchored grav-sphere. No more lost fishing tools. Upgrades to Flashlights to make them more of a deployable floodlight.

Items that are bad? Flares. They completely depend on a surface-level creature (that is obnoxious in its own right), rather than something more reasonable like Magnesium. They may be upgraded with Magnesium in concept, but they are still an a temporary light source that takes up too much valuable space and requires you to be out of your vehicles.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I recently made a discussion of wildlife players would like to see in the game. I think it's appropriate to make one for tools and vehicles to aid the player. So, here are my ideas:

An underwater mech suit. The player does not have many offensive option and will need something to properly defend against things like bone sharks (besides the stasis rifle). The suit could be used to more safely collect materials as well. There could even be two versions of the suit like there are of the submersible, the bigger able to defend against the leviathan.

A harpoon gun. This one is obvious. No need to explain why. Maybe with different versions.

Also, the maximum depth of the cyclops needs to increase. A sub that size I expect to go much deeper than 100 meters. Frankly i would expect it to go deeper than the seamoth. But there could be somd science I'm not understanding there.

We have an underwater mech planned. You can see the model here https://skfb.ly/CS7U

We don't want to add a harpoon gun, but we will be adding other more high tech tools that can be used as weapons, along the lines of the Stasis Rifle.

The Cyclops will eventually be able to have it's max depth upgraded through hull reinforcement upgrades.
    Already found one of the hull reinforcement items earlier this morning on X =p
  • 2ugly2ugly USA Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201677Members
    Would be also nice for the 2 apparent Nav stations on the Cyclops to actually do something other than for show. Get rid of the beacon lights and make these stations useful for identifying beacon locations and sonar.
    We have an underwater mech planned. You can see the model here https://skfb.ly/CS7U

I don't know if I like it or not. The first thing that comes to mind is 'that access hatch is ugly', and the second is 'every day is neck day'. Other than that, the attention to detail that went into its design is excellent, and it fits the SN tech artstyle. The only questions left are if it has a built in beacon and if Stalkers will work together to hide the damn thing like they did my crates. :((

We don't want to add a harpoon gun, but we will be adding other more high tech tools that can be used as weapons, along the lines of the Stasis Rifle.

The Cyclops will eventually be able to have it's max depth upgraded through hull reinforcement upgrades.

Why no harpoon gun? Will the mech have offensive capabilities?

How far down?
  • The_Big_Bad_W8lfThe_Big_Bad_W8lf England Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202178Members
    edited March 2015
    These are just some of my ideas for future updates or when modding becomes a easier task. (I like thinking, when modding becomes a thing feel free to use my ideas, I'm not a talented designer.)

Suggestion 1: A Cyclops like submarine called "Nautilus" (Example) that is 1/3 of the size with a flood-able airlock and a similar control room to the Cyclops but with a smaller width and only 1 lower deck room (The flood-able airlock.) At the back centre of the control room with be a ladder leading to the Airlock. At the front of the submarine, the window for the captain; it will be quite wide, with a small height. Behind the ladder there will be a space the same size of the room on the Cyclops between the Seamoth launch bay and the control room. This room will have a cylinder shaped airlock at the back that when interacted with places you inside the Vessel stored there (E.g. Seamoth and etc), The vessels will come out of a opening hatch beneath the submarine. Safe Depth of 300, crush depth of 450.

Suggestion 2: A Vessel/All-terrain exploration vehicle which will go great with this is the "Stingray" A theoretical idea for deep sea exploration at high pressures. This vehicle will use caterpillar tracks, and is used best on smooth surfaces. This vehicle will be used with the Nautilus and will drop out of the deployment hatch on the bottom of the vessel, You would have to be quite close to the seabed for deployment to be an available option. It could be 2* the size of the Seamoth in scale. Safe depth of 350, crush depth of 450.

Suggestion 3: Drones, Launch-able from ports on sides of various submarines. They can be created an then installed for deployment when required, you approach the console that is set for drone RC inside the vessel. A video feed appears on your screen with simple controls as well as a method for collecting resources. It will have a basic inventory that can be accessed when the drone has returned to the ship by pressing a button, (E.g. Return to vessel.). The drones can be repaired, and are about the size of a Rabbitray.

Feel free to add on to my ideas bellow, Come up with more detailed ideas following on from mine if you want . Safe depth of 100, crush depth of 200. Discuss ideas bellow. Thank you for reading . I just had to share my ideas, this game has a bright future if it continues how it is.

I was advised to post this here by a very polite user :).
  • The_Big_Bad_W8lfThe_Big_Bad_W8lf England Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202178Members
    Alieda wrote: »
    I think you should be able to build a tool for distilling or filtering water.

I'd also like a map! My character has some fancy equipment but he can't draw? ;)
    Great ideas, I agree with them all :)

• KohaneyeKohaneye USA Join Date: 2015-02-28 Member: 201594Members
    Yes and how about solar energy? Any vessel or equipment should be able to recharge if left at the surface for a period of time. It simply makes sense. im not saying the time spent at the surface has to be short but like the pod had last i checked it slowly replenished its energy by sitting there, i justified this by solar energy, would make sense. Perhaps not auto installed on equipment but an upgrade?
    Kohaneye wrote: »
    Yes and how about solar energy? Any vessel or equipment should be able to recharge if left at the surface for a period of time. It simply makes sense. im not saying the time spent at the surface has to be short but like the pod had last i checked it slowly replenished its energy by sitting there, i justified this by solar energy, would make sense. Perhaps not auto installed on equipment but an upgrade?
    Yeh, :). So they can recharge on the surface, and at underwater bases when they can dock :D.

I'm loving all these ideas everyone! I love thinking and hearing ideas for in-development games, please spread the word to other users about this discussion so people can give their ideas! Can't wait to hear more ideas :) Also! Don't forget to mention my Subnautica Wildlife discussion as well in case anyone you talk to has any ideas for that.
  • Wolf2000Wolf2000 Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202116Members
    Maybe there can even be a hatchery (not sure if you can classify this as a tool or vehicle but I personally like the idea) where you can hatch and tame your own creatures (maybe even genetically modify them in the process) that can be used for various things. not sure how well it will hatch on but I personally would like this
    edited March 2015
    Funnily enough, eggs in the wild are being implemented soon
    @Wolf2000 definitely agree. There needs to be some mastery of the food supply.
  • VaknathiVaknathi Australia Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202345Members
    edited March 2015
    I've got plenty of ideas (don't we all), but two I'd really like to see are:

a) a desalination machine

I don't like the way water is produced in-game at present. I don't like to play the "realism" card, and I certainly don't expect realism in computer games, but making sea water drinkable by adding bleach (or any purifying chemical) just doesn't wash with me. It should at least require filtered water which you then purify. I also think the fabricator is overpowered at present, and I would like to see a more gradual acquisition of technology (as they are beginning to implement with the fragment analyser, hopefully it will be taken further). I would very much like to see a desalination plant that you install in your base, which could then produce batches of clean water and a small amount of salt. It could work off water collected, an ingredient, or, more simply, just off power supply, giving say, 4 bottles of water and 1 salt for a certain amount of power drain.

b) power supply not linked to chemical batteries

Wave turbines are just crying out to be implemented in Subnautica. Futuristic, science-oriented, underwater game - screams out for wave power. A simple turbine tethered to your base to supply base power. It would either need to be maintained, and/or as your base grows or you add more appliances, you need to build more turbines or upgrade the main turbine or the power will drain too quickly, resulting in appliances not working, loss of air, that sort of thing. For vehicles you could either use regular batteries/power cells, or, better, have rechargeable ones that you can charge at a station in base as well as recharging vehicles when docked. You would need to manage the power supply for your vehicles with some care, though you could always fall back on scrounging the materials for regular batteries/power cells if you got stuck.
  • ArbhallArbhall The Earth Join Date: 2015-04-03 Member: 202874Members
    I would love to see how deep that JIM Suit can dive, and the tool arm says all kinds of cool things about what its capable of.
    @Autochton I like the idea of different suits, not necessarily armour though. Why not a suit made from one type of animal that deters one type of animal from attacking or noticing, but in another area attracts predator. For example a Peeper skin suit lets you swim slightly faster, and deters Mace tails from spitting out their toxic soup from their butts. But go deeper into Sand Shark territory and you are a larger Peeper that they suddenly want really badly, take damage in that suit and you bleed peeper blood and attract more Sand Sharks.
    Really I just want one type of suit that allows you to be invisible to those Dick plants that shoot spines while Im harvesting resources in the red fields.
    The idea of a heavier suit of armour is intriguing as well, especially since the Crocs love metal, good armour but the Crocs come a running when they smell it nearby. They come and try to drop you in their nests or whatever.
    I like the speaker but I think a Chum type device would be more realistic and fun, go and harvest a bunch of prey animals and cook them up into a Chum and drop it where you want the beastie to go and it bleeds into the water for a while.
    Cool ideas though, thank you sir.
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    @Arbhall Those suit ideas to me sounds more like effects of DNA transfusion, honestly. But they do sound like useful ways to apply that. I definitely like the whole "win some, lose some" aspect you have in there with the animal traits having advantages and disadvantages depending on where you are and what you're doing.

I don't know about chum. It's one of those things that doesn't really seem to fit super-well with the game's style, to me - leaving big slicks of blood in the water.