reaper leviathan

SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
So some of you are aware of this creature that is in the works by now... some of you saw it on trello and can't figure out exactly how big it is...

I think you can get an idea if you go to trello look at the picture and then the shadow, it seems huge! Granted Leviathan implies that but still, glad to see it living up to its name

Now just add the bite animation.....

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited February 2015
    Would be cool if he could eat your seamoth. Some possible interesting gameplay mechanics:
    Reaper_Leviathan_in_game.jpg

1) You can hear the leviathan's call from a distance every once and a while, so if you're swimming around you'll want to get to safety fast.

2) You can evade him by 'silent running'. If you're in the seamoth out and about and hear his call, you quickly try to find a cave to hide in and shut off all power to your seamoth. If you're unlucky enough to get caught in open water when he arrives, he will chase and destroy your seamoth and you. This creates the trade off of tearing back to the cyclops to relative safety, or desperately looking for a local cave to temporarily take refuge in.

3) If they're no caves nearby, you have no choice but to rush back to your cyclops before he finds and destroys you.

4) If you're driving the cyclops around, and you hear his call, you have to go silent running and turn off all the power to your sub (engine goes dead, interior lights go off completely ushering your sub into darkness). You sit for a little bit quietly in your sub waiting for him to pass all the while he's giving an ominous/creepy calling sound.

5) If you just keep traveling to wherever you were going, he will attack your cyclops and cause damage. He gives up after a while since its too big for him, but it can be a death knell if you're in the deep and already damaged.

Maybe later on you can get a sonar upgrade for your seamoth/cyclops to avoid them or some kind of a defensive system to fight them.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    edited February 2015
    I hope this creature poses an actual threat to the cyclops and the like, seamoths and cyclops is too protective of the player

I like your ideas , even if we disagree sometimes xP
  • GarrawrGarrawr Ontario Join Date: 2015-02-25 Member: 201558Members
    Creepy looking, but I don't think it'll be a "main" creature to avoid like aeroripper suggests. Those claws on the front of its face look like it could do an awful lot of damage to your cyclops, though. Yikes.

I'm still waiting for the creature from the trailer...
    Now THAT thing I can see filling aeroripper's profile for a baddy to avoid.

• The_HawkThe_Hawk South Africa Join Date: 2015-02-12 Member: 201321Members
    holy crap that thing in the trailer is HUGE but i defntly reaper laviothon too :-O
    edited February 2015
    Idk, the guy in the trailer seems really curious lol
    Guy=
    Creature
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Looking at the design of the Reaper vs the one in the vid its safe to assume the creature in the vid is much larger, has different coloration and is all together a different creature. Thing looks like it would eat Reapers for lunch.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    as long as it doesn't look like a giant red stiffy as it swims, i'll be happy. I'll give stalkers a pass, but if the Leviathan moves around like a giant cardboard cutout, someone on the animation team needs more coffee.
    That or more hamsters to make the wheel spin faster :p
    Quoted from trello@reaper leviathan
    This is essentially a massive Stalker which can attack your sub also.

Massive, notice the word... It will be huge
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    The creature out of trailer is called sealord seaking or something. You'll see him on concept arts. I assume they are probably one of the most intelligent and largest creatures on subnautica world. I love Reefback but they are little bit too dumb
  • Terik92Terik92 Spain Join Date: 2015-02-05 Member: 201219Members
    Well, if you want to know how big is the reaper, one of the Dev shared in his twitter a funny animation of it eating our character. If the Reaper is really that big... I don't want to face him... Even inside the cyclop, XDDD

Lol, yup, sorry I didn't put that up I just was looking at the picture from the trello

If the anims don't quite fit the bill I'm sure they'll polish it
    MisterYoon wrote: »
    The creature out of trailer is called sealord seaking or something. You'll see him on concept arts. I assume they are probably one of the most intelligent and largest creatures on subnautica world. I love Reefback but they are little bit too dumb

I think they're being called Warpers, but I agree with the rest. Reefbacks need a slight navigational aid, but are otherwise fun gawkbait that I'm happy to have around. If only the water in the biome wasn't so murky.
    Gotta disagree with that assessment of that being a warper.

latest?cb=20141204184946

that is a warper (also development artwork)
    I can't wait for warpers just think about the potential ... Imagine a way to expand it to let the cyclops or seamoths through?????
    gate-to-gate transportation will be a hell of a lot better than blowing a six-pack of power cells and an hour travelling.
    Yes ..... I guess we will have to wait and see if the Seaking has any strange powers
  • The_HawkThe_Hawk South Africa Join Date: 2015-02-12 Member: 201321Members
    WHAAAA .........goes silent ........faints.......recovers

wow okay two separate creatures I knew nothing about the warpers

ps love the instant gobble ...just one bite and your hooked (tag line from a something fishy add)
    I agree, if that guy sees you then you should be in significant trouble
    Wow didn't notice that he's so big. I knew he's one large creature but that big? wow. He's as big as that Sealord
    Zourin wrote: »
    MisterYoon wrote: »

I think they're being called Warpers, but I agree with the rest. Reefbacks need a slight navigational aid, but are otherwise fun gawkbait that I'm happy to have around. If only the water in the biome wasn't so murky.

He's called Sea Emperor. Probably the name could be changed, but the initial name of the concept art picture of that creature is something like sea_emperor.jpg.

Warpers are the others, just like the picture above.
  • u2020bulletu2020bullet Novi Sad, Serbia Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201671Members
    Possible reference to Mass Effect's Reaper Leviathan?
    Oooh :3333 THAT would be cool lol-- I"d love to see a creature like the Leviathans from Mass Effect :D (ME favorite series)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Hmm, actually, no. We didn't even realize there was something called a Reaper Leviathan in Mass Effect. The name was just because he has those big scythe looking mandibles on the sides of his face.
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    Hmm, actually, no. We didn't even realize there was something called a Reaper Leviathan in Mass Effect. The name was just because he has those big scythe looking mandibles on the sides of his face.

It's not a Reaper Leviathan in mass Effect, some just call it that. Reapers are the machines, but the race is simply known as the Leviathans
    ^True, but I think he was referring to the Reaper Leviathans? Who knows...

Though really, a Krakenesque creature would make sense IMO
  • u2020bulletu2020bullet Novi Sad, Serbia Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201671Members
    In any case, i'm hoping it's gonna be huge and hidden in the deep darkness of the ocean, that way it'll be scarier once it attacks us from wherever it's hiding. :)
    Agreed it will be interesting to see where its home will be... In the picture it looks like the outskirts or shallows, but that is just speculation
  • GarrawrGarrawr Ontario Join Date: 2015-02-25 Member: 201558Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Lol, yup, sorry I didn't put that up I just was looking at the picture from the trello

If the anims don't quite fit the bill I'm sure they'll polish it

JIMMY CRICKET that is HUGE!

I didn't realize they were that big. I figured they were bigger than bone sharks, but not quite as big as reef backs... Now it seems like they could EAT reef backs... In one bite at that.

Yeah, definitely the same size if not a little bigger than the Sea Emperor from the trailer video I posted. The reaper and the emperor could probably be evenly matched if they were to fight. Eeeeeek
    MMM I think reefbacks will probably not be eaten in one bite so to speak

But it would be nice to see some interaction between the larger creatures