Energy management, research, and upgrades (google doc)

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
I originally started this as a post, but it grew really fast. I made a google doc with a lot of ideas on how to implement energy management in the game, along with research and upgrades. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uo2UFN0MeHFPSjyvUHshPfVKif6JJfzmItgA_s5Nst0/edit

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Anybody think swapping batteries out occasionally might be a pain? I like the idea of energy management personally, but it will have to be tweaked to keep it fun.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Yep. Didn't say it but the doc is so in depth it may just change the entire game just by implementing those ideas. Its like the game is going to be an electrical engineer simulator
  • ptronptron On an Island Join Date: 2015-01-12 Member: 200795Members
    Considering that Subnautica is in development stage it makes perfect sense to layout suggestion specifications. Not only does this make life easier for the developers should they decide to implement a suggestion but leads to orderly, compact, and elegant code.

Good specifications are the lifeblood and guiding message of a properly managed project. The more the better. Input and output specifications enable clear communication between modules, functions, that are written by separate people. Without them it is chaos, never ending bugs, and trips to memory wacky land.

Now, if the reader or developers don't like, or can't deal with reams of specifications then it is already too late to save Subnautica because it could be mired in a huge mass of spaghetti code that will never be unraveled in a productive and economically feasible manner.
  • VahnkiljoyVahnkiljoy Texas Join Date: 2015-01-11 Member: 200765Members
    Honestly, I'm going to have to say, no, all of that battery swapping and management sounds tedious and, NOT FUN, do you play survival? Going by the suggestions it doesn't seem that way, it's already a major hassle balancing keeping air, tools AND food/water and keeping ANY free space to gather ANYTHING ELSE. Having to worry about batteries would be over the top if you ask me.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Vahnkiljoy wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm going to have to say, no, all of that battery swapping and management sounds tedious and, NOT FUN, do you play survival? Going by the suggestions it doesn't seem that way, it's already a major hassle balancing keeping air, tools AND food/water and keeping ANY free space to gather ANYTHING ELSE. Having to worry about batteries would be over the top if you ask me.

It's fairly easy to manage food and water (keep airfish in storage for an endless supply of water), and once and a while catch a bunch of peepers and salt. I use the stasis rifle to catch lots of them at once. I agree with you on the oxygen usage, as I don't find that a fun mechanic with its current implementation. I can't explore the deeper waters effectively at all unless I surface with the seamoth a lot.

As for the battery situation, something like the suggested implementation would have to be prototyped to see if it actually was fun or not, and if it did work, tweak the battery times accordingly. Even if something like energy supply (as a resource alongside oxygen, food and water but used for items and vehicles).
    Yep. Didn't say it but the doc is so in depth it may just change the entire game just by implementing those ideas. Its like the game is going to be an electrical engineer simulator

hehe, I would like to see some of energy management make it into the cyclops though, at a minimum. The idea of customizing your items and vehicles through research could be interesting, regardless.
    Well yes I agree, but I was thinking more along the lines of star trek where power is managed by givin buffs to speed, research efficiency, or armor, etc

Sorry I can't be more specific and give details, just think all that would be overwhelming, turn a lot of people off immediately, and or change the game too much

Though I agree power shouldn't be easy to deal with, it shouldn't necessarily be complex
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So I like the idea of batteries used for equipment (flashlight, beacons, sea glide, stasis rifle, etc.), and the idea of a battery charger. I also like that batteries should be harder to construct and not disposable.

I think that larger vehicles like the seamoth and the cyclops should be exempt from battery requirements. The seamoth with a self-recharging battery is a good enough limitation (maybe solar charged so that if you run out at night you have to survive till morning?)

The Cyclops I feel is large enough to generate its own power, and having to deal with replacing batteries in your main "home" area would detract from the fun of the game. (also, its big enough to have its own power generation system)

If base building does become a thing, I don't think XL Batteries are not the best way to handle them. Since its creating a structure complex, there should just be a Power Generator that runs the complex. Each Power Generator would produce x units of power, each type of room requires x units to run. (more generators for more/advanced rooms)

Example:

Power Generator produces 5 units of power

Rooms - Power Use:
    Life Support - 2 units
    Cafeteria (Food/Water Dispenser) - 2 units
    Aquarium - 1 unit
    Research lab - 3 units
  • SpiffMoonWalkerSpiffMoonWalker Canada Join Date: 2015-02-01 Member: 201154Members
    edited February 2015
    I like the idea of having to build adequate power generating facilities for your base. It doesn't have to be batteries, it could just be generators powered by the ocean current, with a one time cost to build each one required, and energy requirements being based on the rooms and equipment in the base. Really, I would love it if the base construction aspect were a bit open-ended. You build the utility room as big as you think you'll need then fit whatever you have to in it (or build another one or a bigger one when needed). I wonder though if we're drifting towards a different sort of game than what the devs have in mind...

As for vehicle power, flashlights, etc. I think a degree of abstraction is required for gameplay purposes. Just build the batteries once and take it as granted that the batteries are re-chargeable and the few real minutes into which your game-day is compressed include some off-screen chores like battery charging. (Battery charging using what? ok, the ocean current-powered generators I guess).
    ^Liking Moon's suggestion a lot