Island?

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
https://trello.com/c/LIgENB1C/3526-new-islands

It seems like devs are adding island on game. I trust UWE with my heart, and i believe it will look awesome, but would it fit the thema of the game?

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I love the idea of occasional small islands to explore. I need to enjoy a Piña colada and admire the sunset every once and a while.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    If it's a small island where bases CANNOT be made to replace the underwater bases and cyclops, I'm all for them
  • KaiserfrontKaiserfront Germany Join Date: 2015-01-21 Member: 200978Members
    A small tropical island with some animals and a fresh water source would be nice to get some resources. But it could also be a forward base for exploring and a landmark for orientation.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    There are pictures of floating islands in the concept art, with huge underwater areas to explore. If this is it, only a small bit at the top was above water -- more for aesthetics than anything else.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Racer1 wrote: »
    There are pictures of floating islands in the concept art, with huge underwater areas to explore. If this is it, only a small bit at the top was above water -- more for aesthetics than anything else.
    That image is showing just one small area of a pretty good sized island. And this island is just the first one of a grouping of islands that are planned.
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    I ran into an island today. I had to get pretty close to the mother ship to even explore it. It made me wonder if it's always been there or is a part of some recent experimental build.

My vision got ridiculously fuzzy so I couldn't stay long, and it wasn't that big anyway, but it sure was a surprise.
  • tomashpotatotomashpotato Join Date: 2015-01-27 Member: 201085Members
    Also found an island. Used the terraformer tool to climb onto it, only to find access round the back! Made my way to the top of it and admired all the constructors I had lost at sea lol.
    Then decided on spawning an observatory, seamoth, and other tools to check out the plant life etc. None is available to pick or interact with yet.
    Note to self if you build a cyclops with the constructor don't take it further down than 200m because alarms will sound and the world starts to end! I tried using welder to patch holes that filled the sub with water but didn't work :(. I then tried to re - inforce hull but that made the ship heavy and it sunk and dug a hole. Every time I made a new one it would sink because it copied the last one I made grrrr. Bloody love this game ai :)
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure what spawn/item command line code is for hull reinforcement. But yeah I've learned that the hard way too.

What I'm really hoping for soon is a way to increase draw distance, so you can see stuff in the distance and head for them rather than just have one appear suddenly.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Really? Where is the island exactly?
  • Isaac_Clark1996Isaac_Clark1996 Germany Join Date: 2015-01-13 Member: 200818Members
    Well there was an island in earlier builds but i was surprised when i went to it after a longer time and now it is populatet with trees and plants :D
    I haven't found an island since the one and only time I found it. Is there a general direction to reach it?
  • Isaac_Clark1996Isaac_Clark1996 Germany Join Date: 2015-01-13 Member: 200818Members
    edited February 2015
    There is a general direction to go. Everytime i search for it i drive the seamoth behind the wrecked ship but slightly to the left of its point of view. then i drive straight in the opposite direction of the direction the spaceship is looking. After some time you will find the island.
    06B73CF5A1CBA6C4EBB37A3DC13A381479C5A7B5
    Picture is not made by me it was postet on the steam community but it helped alot finding the island.