Which Alien Vision (AV) do you use in-game?

GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
edited January 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Just a quick poll about what Alien Visions get used most in-game. Thanks for contributing.

In case you pick "None of above" please leave a comment with the name and the workshop link of the alien vision you use.

Links to the given AVs (some may be included into NS2+)

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2015
    Im using Uke's for a long time now. It gives me better perspective on where i am (texture blending with blue color).

The only thing i dislike is the bold outline on view model and a bevel on the screen. Other then that it's perfect!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    UKE's is pure eye candy; looks gorgeous and is functional.

The annoying bugs where it bevels the edges of the screen and zooms the viewmodel in somewhat are compensated for by its gorgeous colours. If those bugs weren't present it'd be 10/10
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Used to use UKE's which is excellent bit of kit, however slowly converted to Huze's minimal AV after reading a post that made me think having AV on all the time doesn't give you a chance to enjoy all the shiny shiny's
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I love both Uke's and Huze's but I use Huze's AV because I can adore some good textures on possible custom maps (for example ns2_hydra looks beautiful, you wouldn'd rly see that with Uke's)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I use UKEs because it gives me a different viewmode to the default av off vision, which already highlights marines etc. So with UKEs and the default vision i have two distinct and usefull viewmodes that i can choose from.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holy shizzle, didnt even know those other visions existed by twiliteblue and michaels existed! They look cool!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I wish there was an av like the old one except that it switches instantly like the new one rather than building up from near to far.

Personally, I rarely use av.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uke's for its stark color differences, i tried to use the huze's minimal but rooms with red emergency power or areas with yellowish reddish orange textures/lights blend in with the highlighting for me to much.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2015
    Huze's minimal, best compromise between visuals and usefulness imo.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    default..
    I know I know.. I just cant get used to the odd clashing colours which are standard custom AVs.

May perhaps invest in a self made one in the future.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    There's no option for "none," but, none.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    There's no option for "none," but, none.

by "none" do you mean defulat or just never use AV.

Cause if you never use AV...thats full beast-mode right there.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2015
    None of the above - I use the old gliss vision except with the help of samusdroid and other members to work in the current version of ns2 (his workshop version does not work)

If you want a copy I can transfer it to you, I just need an e-mail to send it to. It's personally my favorite/best AV to use.. I don't think anyone else has this but me :P
  • Warrior_of_katzWarrior_of_katz Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186762Members
    I use Huze's old Alien Vision, I love the old Alien Vision, and I can't use any other since I used that one for so long :3
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never used alien vision.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hivelord wrote: »
    Never used alien vision.

i don't much either
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well remember that the current iteration of the default view for aliens took it's design from Huze's minimal alien vision mod, with the orange outlines. (we almost had the red tint, too!)
    So even if you think you aren't using an alien vision.. you sort of are in a weird way. ;)

It's worth noting there are two distinct advantages to using alien vision (besides the default eyebleeding Fanta Vision) - listed in order of importance :
    1) Target contrast from the environment for better target acquisition and melee distance tracking
    2) Traversing geometry in pitch dark (when those rare 6 seconds happen to occur during a moment of combat)

The default vision does one of those and the default AV does one of those, but neither does both - unlike Huze's or Uke's.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Well remember that the current iteration of the default view for aliens took it's design from Huze's minimal alien vision mod, with the orange outlines. (we almost had the red tint, too!)
    So even if you think you aren't using an alien vision.. you sort of are in a weird way. ;)

It's worth noting there are two distinct advantages to using alien vision (besides the default eyebleeding Fanta Vision) - listed in order of importance :
    1) Target contrast from the environment for better target acquisition and melee distance tracking
    2) Traversing geometry in pitch dark (when those rare 6 seconds happen to occur during a moment of combat)

The default vision does one of those and the default AV does one of those, but neither does both - unlike Huze's or Uke's.

I'm still pretty upset there's an outline.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Contrast is paramount

Contrast is most needed when you are within melee range and your view is spinning hundreds of degrees in micro seconds, attempting to find and track that target, perfectly timing your mouse click.

But if you're that upset just make an av mod. ;)
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Is there a mod like Uke's AV that also has the same (default AV-like) orange-highlighted rines when AV is "off"?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid‌ I ll have what he is having! Can I add that as an option in the poll? I am going to have to try these out (especially yours SamusDroid).
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Contrast is paramount

Contrast is most needed when you are within melee range and your view is spinning hundreds of degrees in micro seconds, attempting to find and track that target, perfectly timing your mouse click.

But if you're that upset just make an av mod. ;)

Well an alien vision mod wouldn't remove the outline from non-alien vision
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Ironhorse I actually disagree.

The default one DOES have, although brightly, contrast on its orange view. Its not superb difference, but you can still see the beacon of light which is a marine, moving in the by comparison dark orange world.

Also outlines are the most I personally want in my 'normal' AV view, like in the current AV.
    Remember ns2s green view? I did. Do you know how well I was at tracking anything if it wasn't in that green view? I wasn't.

Having pure contrast makes it far easier to track targets yes, but it also makes you lazy and does not train you to spot targets which blend in more. Now why does this matter?
    Your marine is still shooting fast moving targets which can blend in to their environment.
    Ever since the AV changes I had to force myself to track targets more and more without contrast and more with movement and 'normal' colour. I can say my own aim and awareness around me improved significantly with it.
    Yes this also means at some times I mistake a marine for a fade and put a shotgun in my partner... But it also means I can track objects a lot better then I did when I played on a contrast view by default.

I know not all will have this experience. But I had it, and I shan't use a high contrast view ever again without it being off by default.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I've always used Huze's minimal AV where possible. I really like being able to see the textures and other effects normally while alien.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    "None of the above" -> I don't use alien vision.
    I use Fanta Vision in dark rooms.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    "None of the above" -> I don't use alien vision.
    I use Fanta Vision in dark rooms.

You can probably do that by turning up the gamma til it burns your eye balls, then fill 2 glasses with fanta and strap them on your head (in front of your eyes). Alternately you can skulk skull a 4L fanta and fill yourself upto your eye ball with that stuff.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited January 2015
    i am assuming you wanted to list roxxAV and roxxAV-B-G instead of duplicates...

i use the original, so i voted for the first one

you can find it here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=335690800

i love it so much i never turn it off and can never go back to having AV off or even go back to playing on marine team

47528AD4D1D904D19813B0B3AE3D249EDAA245D1
    EF69F4A2482F551C435B00D5DCAB7AD383FD003C