Will all predators attack you on sight?

FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
I notice stalkers tend to go after you a lot at night, and not as much during the day but still do so at times.

This leads to the assumption that stalkers hunt at night.
Yet if they don't eat during the day, why do they attack you?

A reason I could come up with is that you're sitting around them too much and pestering them.
So they get mad and attack you.
However I notice that if you hit them with your knife a few times they leave you alone.

A more likely reason is that the game is unfinished and they just attack you whenever they feel like it.

The question is. Will all predators attack you on sight, or will there be docile ones that don't attack you unless you pester them too much?

Crashes make sense in the way they act, they don't attack you unless you get too close and threaten their territory.

Having all the predators attack you all the time wouldn't allow the player to just swim around relaxing and enjoying the sights. It would just be ALL COMBAT ALL THE TIME FOREVER.
Yes aliens, some probably would attack a diver on sight all the time every time, but not all of them.

A simple way to have players annoy predators is to have the predators swim around a nest or something that has loot the player wants.
And still have some of those predators spawn the way they do right now, just wherever, so that players can swim near them and look at them and explore without being attacked.

Comments

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    edited December 2014
    I still haven't gotten to that stuff yet so it's not on the Wiki but there are a few dev docs out there that show where this could be going.

The Attitude (in this case Hostile) is only one part of the puzzle. You can think of it as more of a character trait I've given to life-forms to convey their general behavior - I didn't know anything better to describe it at that time. Maybe I'll change that as we find out more.

What we do know is that they aim for having creatures respond to various attributes/conditions. E.g. are getting agitated / hungry which leads to the effects we see I would assume (waking up a hungry Stalker is not a good idea). But we're supposed to even be able to feed and "tame" them later on - this affects the "friendlyness" value. You can even extract DNA of the Rabbitray to buff your friendlyness which eventually could make taming easier.

You can read more about that here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KwwBLmK2SzxbdALszpXwwiJEHNUjMHt7ZpE4tdQ_Iuc/edit?pli=1
  • NairitNairit NJ, USA Join Date: 2014-11-10 Member: 199589Members
    Besides, if stalker can detect you - you are in its territory, so it will attack. ;)

Seriously though, yeah i do hope for more complex behavior from the creatures