Build 10837: How To Get Started & Survive!

MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
Since the game is going to be released this Dec 16th, I thought I would create a very basic video on what you need to do to survive your first time out. I show you what you need to collect to cook fish, create a knife & create purified water. These three basic things are a must otherwise you will not survive very long.

This is for Normal Mode Only. Once more updates are released, and if anything has changed I will update it.

I know I will really enjoy the Hardcore mode.

Comments

• dottedfishdottedfish Germany Join Date: 2014-11-22 Member: 199755Members
    Very nice video :)

With that there's a solid amount of information and guidance out there to make sure new players will find their ways into the game nicely.

I added it to the beginners guide page on the Wiki already: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Started

Would be nice if you post updates here so I can update the embedded one :)
  • vadorvador Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23682Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi,

Awesome video thank you :)
    Does coral chunk works in build 10933 ? I used so many knifes on coral and after hit 3 times, nothing more happened... Am I alone with tat problem ?

(I send an ingame report).

Thank you :)
    Works for me in both game modes (Build 10933)

It takes 3 hits.

PS: you can hit the "trumpet" looking shells - they count as coral and grant 1 chunk per hit.

I ran into this bug as well in prior builds, couldn't really find out yet what causes it though.
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    edited December 2014
    vador wrote: »
    Hi,

Awesome video thank you :)
    Does coral chunk works in build 10933 ? I used so many knifes on coral and after hit 3 times, nothing more happened... Am I alone with tat problem ?

(I send an ingame report).

Thank you :)

It appears they have fixed that in this build.

They have been really working on this before the 16th. They have fixed the issue where we were having trouble with inventory items, along with harvesting, and the evil spinning when you tossed a flare. They seem to have all been fixed which is great news.

Your Welcome, and thanks for the kind words. :)
  • EccoEcco Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187612Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MycroftCanadaNSMycroftCanadaNS Halifax Join Date: 2014-11-01 Member: 199263Members
    Ecco wrote: »
    Thanks!

Your Welcome. :)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    hey does this game have FOV options? I like the video a lot, but that fov would get me motion sickness really quick. I'd have to wait until something like that is implemented before I could even play or else I'd get a lot of headaches.. super sensitive to that stuff
    Not as an option, maybe somewhere in the files. Out of curiosity: What FOV do you require?
    edited December 2014
    dottedfish wrote: »
    Not as an option, maybe somewhere in the files. Out of curiosity: What FOV do you require?

Can't really give you a number unless you give me a game to associate it with, some games 85-100 fov is fine, other games 120 fov is required. I'm not really sure what gets me sick, but I get motion sickness in normal life a lot as well. Same occurs in video games if the FOV is too low. I get sick as a passenger in cars, on planes, on boats and etc. Driving a car however I do not get sick, no idea why.
    edited December 2014
    Your not alone on this. Many people get sick due to the in your face fov which is still makes me wonder why dev's use the default of 50-55 (not sure what this games uses, but I would suspect it being close to those numbers).

A slider would be nice to have to change your fov though.
    Your not alone on this. Many people get sick due to the in your face fov which is still makes me wonder why dev's use the default of 50-55 (not sure what this games uses, but I would suspect it being close to those numbers).

A slider would be nice to have to change your fov though.

I believe it's for performance reasons, a wider FOV is more screen space to render? I could be wrong. But I do hope we get the option soon, ns2 had very large fov options which worked out great for me
    As this is not a competitive title at all I'd be wondering if those options won't get added at a later stage. For now SSAO is already a big performance hit so you may be right there. But I'm very positive it'll end up as an option or somehow adjustable in config files.
    dottedfish wrote: »
    As this is not a competitive title at all I'd be wondering if those options won't get added at a later stage. For now SSAO is already a big performance hit so you may be right there. But I'm very positive it'll end up as an option or somehow adjustable in config files.

The game doesn't need to be competitive for field of view! Heh, even in batman arkham asylum all the way to origins I modified my field of view in every single one, it made combat more awesome and made me not get sick like the default did.. I do wish it was officially supported but.. what can I say

I hope they add the option at some point in time :]
    Maybe I have expressed myself incorrectly. What I meant is that because it is not competitive it should be no problem to add FOV since it will not possibly result in an advantage to anyone. The only challenge I can think of are the diving mask as that would / should not just magically grow.

So I'm very positive we'll see that option sometime :)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2014
    Even if it is a competitive game a FOV slider is mandatory in any FPS game. It is not a matter of giving an advantage, every options has its cons and pros, nothing give you 100% advantages. It is a matter of giving the choice to players to be able to play. The FOV must be different according to the setup you use.
    Do you have a big/small screen ? Is it wide? Do you play far from it or very close ? How much is your peripheral vision? Do you get sick easily?

Each player has different settings.

A good lecture about that subject:

edited December 2014
    Thanks Regnareb for the video.

I normally work within the range of 90 to 95 if given the option.

There is another thing that I do find very annoying (not in this game since it doesn't exist) which is motion blur which is also another thing I have to disable since it makes me feel very sick. I do not understand why developers add motion blur into a game other than it's cool vs reality (motion blur doesn't exist, and is unnatural). Only shows how immature coders are when they start adding things into a game that only ends up making people sick.

Again thanks for the video.