Some nice art work i came across

clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

Comments

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Nice, that is a great image.
  • tohrbogentohrbogen Join Date: 2012-06-22 Member: 153543Members
    Holy moly... I am kinda frightened of deep waters so i am looking forward to subnautica.. stuff like that ingame would be awesome and frightening at the same time :D
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I want to see something that big in subnautica! :)
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    That is precisely why I'm so afraid of (and fascinated with) the ocean. That's the kind of stuff my mind's eye sees when I look into the murky abyss. And even if it was friendly (ala whales and the like), it's the scale that is so terrifying. I'm going to go ahead and blame my love of H.P. Lovecraft for 90% of that fear.

That said, I would love if massive-scaled creatures were in Subnautica. Seems only fitting, and with the dropoff of visibility in the ocean it seems like you could cheat it pretty easily on the technical side of things without it looking like old-school fog trickery.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2014
    Man, that artwork is nice! Is that a Cory in disguise piece of work? :wink:

I would like to see creatures of that scale in game. They are so massive they would almost count as terrain, like the Giant in the desert in God of War or the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

Perhaps model a giant sea creature (1000m in length) lying dormant on the ocean floor out of terrain and add some moving parts (eye, fins, tentacles) to it to make it appear alive. It might have even been lying there for decades, become crusted with corals and stuff. It is alive but lives on a much larger timescale, like giant sea turtles times 100. It wouldn't move of course, but that's okay because it is so massive it just doesn't care for minor annoyances like the player.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2014
    We definitely would love to have some creature in the game that is at the kind of massive scale. The problem is just the amount of effort required to pull that kind of thing off, both on the art side and on the tech side, and whether or not we could get enough gameplay from it to make it all worthwhile. A game like SN is not about levels, where you advance through carefully constructed scenarios and fight final bosses such as a creature like that. Because it is open world exploration, we are more focused on systems that can have lots of gameplay value and can be reused a lot, rather then a massive creature that would really just be a one time experience for the player.

That isn't to say there won't be some pretty large creatures in the game, but we just have to really evaluate the cost vs reward of something like that, and most likely there won't be anything at the massive scale as the posted image in the game for release. Could be great for follow up content though.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    LumpN wrote: »
    Man, that artwork is nice! Is that a Cory in disguise piece of work? :wink:

I would like to see creatures of that scale in game. They are so massive they would almost count as terrain, like the Giant in the desert in God of War or the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

Perhaps model a giant sea creature (1000m in length) lying dormant on the ocean floor out of terrain and add some moving parts (eye, fins, tentacles) to it to make it appear alive. It might have even been lying there for decades, become crusted with corals and stuff. It is alive but lives on a much larger timescale, like giant sea turtles times 100. It wouldn't move of course, but that's okay because it is so massive it just doesn't care for minor annoyances like the player.

totally dig this idea!
  • TentaculeTentacule France Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190179Members
    Just beautiful this image !

cthulhu sleep in R'lyeh ! Hope i'll see him one day (or similar monster) in Subnautica. An old temple under the water.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Damn Shadow of the Colossus has already been mentioned. This thread reminds me of this guy:

shadow-of-the-colossus1.jpg

Some of the colossi are literally part of the landscape until disturbed, then the environment that they've become a part of crumbles and shifts as they reveal themselves.

brb replaying SoC.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Jekt wrote: »
    brb replaying SoC.
    That game is just epic. From start to finish.