Advanced Weapons and FPS Drops

BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Does anyone else have a their game slow down when facing GLs or Flamethrowers?

Is it possible to do something about the framerate killing weapons from the advanced armory?

Like the option to disable flame textures from the flamethrower or reducing the particle effects from the GL?

I'm just tired of hitching/rubberbanding in lategame because 3+ people decided to get flamethrowers/GLs and spam them down hallways or all over the walls.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be a bottleneck on your GPU.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    NS2+ removes almost all of the massive FPS dropping effects that you can see here on my GTX580 with i5 @ 4.7 GHZ:

Losing about one hundred frames per second because of a single weapon is pretty unacceptable - I would agree.

NS2+ massively improves that though.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bilebombing clog wall has the most impact on my fps. about x3 drop (don't ask why I'm bombing clogs).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    xen32 wrote: »
    Bilebombing clog wall has the most impact on my fps. about x3 drop (don't ask why I'm bombing clogs).

Dude what the hell are you doing with your clogs? What else do you do with them?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Locklear wrote: »
    NS2+ removes almost all of the massive FPS dropping effects that you can see here on my GTX580 with i5 @ 4.7 GHZ:

Losing about one hundred frames per second because of a single weapon is pretty unacceptable - I would agree.

Wait it fixes some fps drops too? How?

I thought it was just a minimalist hud mod.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited April 2014
    Does anyone else have a their game slow down when facing GLs or Flamethrowers?

Is it possible to do something about the framerate killing weapons from the advanced armory?

Like the option to disable flame textures from the flamethrower or reducing the particle effects from the GL?

I'm just tired of hitching/rubberbanding in lategame because 3+ people decided to get flamethrowers/GLs and spam them down hallways or all over the walls.

I always look away or go to another part of the map when it gets bad, lol. Same thing with the Shade ink cloud. They should just rename it to:

Shade FPS drop cloud
    Excrete a thick cloud of ink to nullify Marines ability to aim properly, while disorienting their mouse tracking.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »

Wait it fixes some fps drops too? How?

I thought it was just a minimalist hud mod.
    Ns2+ is like duct tape of ns2. It fixes everything when applied.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Source please.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just want to know how.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    Rather than asking for source, why not pop along to the thread for NS2+ and actually read what the mod is capable of doing....
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Source please.

What he said. If you can't find a link. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129560/ns2-the-mod-previously-known-as-custom-hud/p1
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Source please.

Lol, I linked Mendasp this video months ago and he did massive reductions to the particle effects through the Minimal Particles feature of the mod.

Just go read the NS2+ thread in Competitive Play.