Inspiration from the Paleozoic

moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    THe paleozoic creatures look almost nightmare inducing in some ways. So alien and so far away from our modern understanding of what "things" that are living look like.

Wonderful post.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Nice idea! Although, if you ask me, they should keep it plausible in a sci-fi sense. I really enjoy fiction that is based on real life dependancies, such as predator - pray relationships and all the traits that evolve from it. I love strange and alien fiction, but I love even more when I get an explaination why it evolved this way. The explaination can be strange and alien as well of course as long as it makes some kind of sense :-B

Palaeontological lecture incoming

Just some supplementary information:
    Most of the depicted specimens you picked go back to the early Cambrian. Some of them like Charnia and Dickinsonia (the feather shaped and flat, round animals from picture #5) go back even further, reaching into the Proterozoic. They where part of some of the earliest complex lifeforms, when there still were so many free niches that life just evolved without much selective pressure (kinda like a garden eden ). They were called the Ediacarian Fauna. They got extinct during either a singular catastrophic event or due to selective pressure of more advanced specimens with hard parts, like Hallucigenia in picture #4 or the placoderm fish (armoured fish) from #6 that evolved much later during the Permian period.

All the basic body plans that are still in existence emerged during the early Cambrian. All of evolutions early creations got extinct either during the Ediacarian/Cambrian or the Cambrian/Ordovician transition.

Here's a chart showing the Big 5 (mass extinction events) during the Phanerozoic. (The Ediacarian period ends where the Cambriam period begins and with it ends the Proterozoic [greek: before animals] and starts the Phanerozoic [apparent animal life] era)
    IMAGE006.JPG

Keep in mind that we are experiencing the 6th mass extinction presently, caused by man.

tl;dr
    Evolution rocks, the earth and life is older than 6000 years
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Sorry, nevermind. Pls delete.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shit looked cooler AND was bigger.
    Here's one from my home country:
    mosasaurus-hoffmanni-480x321.jpg

mosasaurus(1).jpg

Better then a ground skulk :)
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    I work in a fossil lab. Some of that stuff looks completely alien up close. Sharks with spines, trilobites with massive spines, everything with spines, Permian stuff is wild.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Great refs, thanks. Yeah, I've been looking at quite a bit of Paleozoic refs like these, myself. Crazy stuff.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig You want more refs? Im sure we could all could provide a ton of images to draw inspiration from :)

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you need pictures of fossils or mock-ups for ideas, I work in a fossil lab ranging from fish to dinosauria and work a booth at a massive Gem & Mineral Show every year.
    Zavaro wrote: »
    If you need pictures of fossils or mock-ups for ideas, I work in a fossil lab ranging from fish to dinosauria and work a booth at a massive Gem & Mineral Show every year.

Fish & dinosaurs + annual gem and mineral show? Any chance you're working at the palaeontolgical museum in Munich?

Sorry for off topic!
    edited November 2013
    Tucson, but we get a lot of Germans. For reference, here is a Lebanese sawfish from my boss. https://db.tt/Qmr0d1OU
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The deep blue is also a great documentary about see life:
    I couldn;t find an english version:

Developers please get a english version and watch it, you will be amazed. Fish that have lights like an attraction park etc.
  • zbott105zbott105 Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225902Members