Factions Mod by Sewlek

It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow

Hey NS2er's

Here is a trailer for the Community Natural Selection 2 Mod called Factions developed by Sewlek himself.

The game has two teams facing off to play in a number of game modes ranging from Domination, Payload, and Assault.

Each team can select up to 4 Classes:

The Assault, that specializes in dealing and taking damage
The Medic, who can restore health or just as easily poison enemies.
The Robotic, who can build defences or healing stations
and the Recon who can be sneaky to sabotage defences, or assassinate targets from afar or close up.

The real fun is customizing your class, you have Tons of weapons, abilities and implants to make any combination you want. But you may want to also think about the other team's setup so you can counter it quickly.

Get it on the Steam Workshop at:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=factions&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=4920&browsesort=trend

Comments

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Looks pretty promising :)
  • SounDWavE1SounDWavE1 Join Date: 2005-02-06 Member: 40096Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    from the looks of this it will be great fun :)
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    This needs to be advertised on the main page of the game for all to see. Looks neat though.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I played a little of this yesterday with ISE; it's SUPER fun! :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I checked this out on an empty server yesterday.

Looks like it has lots of potential. There so much loadout you can equip. My favorite are the engineer and the assassin, although I didn't figure out yet how jump stealth and the skillpoint system work, or the implants.
    Feels strange not having to reload, and having one bar for everything.

I think we see something big incoming here.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    At first, it's definitely a fish out of water feel, but give your self some time to look at everything and experiment! Find a build that works best for you. Super strong in a few aspects? or Well Rounded? The choice is yours. The game objectives are very simple and differ between maps, so it's all about execution!

Your ammo is determined by ENERGY, which is consumed when you attack with weapons, use gadgets, use jet pack. Also every glass has a unique "ultimate" ability when you press F, which is on a REALLY long cooldown, try it out when you get the chance >:D

My favourite build is a Poison Medic Build, and Heavy Turret Build Robotic, lots of fun discovering the meta game and discussion to be had amongst players for what they feel is the best play.

I would like to maybe get a bunch of folks together to fill the server, and just brawl one out!.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Nice mod, you can see a lot of thought and work has gone into it already, feels like a proper mod with all the changes to the hud and weapons/powerups, though it's a shame this didn't appear months ago because i doubt it will get played much now judging by other mods. :(
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Dat Global Agenda style HUD. :D

I'll have to give this a go.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    cant wait to try this one out! Looks really good
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Played 4x4, was AWESOME.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Dat Global Agenda style HUD. :D

I'll have to give this a go.

Given that Sewlek played Global Agenda over 1400 hours according to Steam… >.>

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    this sort of mod is very fun.

i can remember old warcraft3 mod to counterstrike 1.6 - soooo addictive, running around with your abilities like maxed out undead speed/jump boost and regenerating health :)
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Played a couple hours in it, really fun. With a bit more time and features, I have no doubt that I will enjoy this much more than vanilla NS2 (already kind of do, always been a sucker for class based games)
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    Got some questions, first is there locational damage? Second, does everyone have JP? And third, are there any plans to have larger maps/custom maps? I played for a bit and really liked it, looking forward to it progressing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This mod is great. Sewlek has built the mod himself from the ground up in 7 weeks and is amazing work. This guy is a programming machine :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    At first, it's definitely a fish out of water feel, but give your self some time to look at everything and experiment! Find a build that works best for you. Super strong in a few aspects? or Well Rounded? The choice is yours. The game objectives are very simple and differ between maps, so it's all about execution!

Your ammo is determined by ENERGY, which is consumed when you attack with weapons, use gadgets, use jet pack. Also every glass has a unique "ultimate" ability when you press F, which is on a REALLY long cooldown, try it out when you get the chance >:D

My favourite build is a Poison Medic Build, and Heavy Turret Build Robotic, lots of fun discovering the meta game and discussion to be had amongst players for what they feel is the best play.

I would like to maybe get a bunch of folks together to fill the server, and just brawl one out!.

How does this skillpoint system work? The more points I use for it, the stronger the ability?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmmm thinking of TF2 ?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Hmmmm thinking of TF2 ?

As i said before we should rename it Natural Fortress 2 :D

@FordPrefect Don't know if that has changed but skill points are meant for that you can set your class up as you prefer to play it. Basically the points increase the effect of the skilled ability a bit.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited October 2013
    From the video it looks a bit like Dystopia mod for hl2
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are some nuances to Factions... It could certantly use some tooltips, or something to help new players get into the swing of it quickly, but until then....I could make a quick video into specifics about this mod, would it be helpful for you guys incase it wasn't clear enough yet?

Keep in mind I got a big Tactical Operations Collaboration video coming out, and I need to put some time into it ;)
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Getting some problems where the server kicks a portion of the players out at random times and saying their game files dont match. Also I've had a problem where my hud locked up and my console blew up in lua errors after setting up my class.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have to be honest, when I watched the trailer for this I didn't think it would be anything extraordinary. But after playing it, I have to say, this mod is F-U-N.

Luckily, I was streaming, you can find the VOD here: http://www.twitch.tv/ns2soz/b/475368205
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Getting some problems where the server kicks a portion of the players out at random times and saying their game files dont match. Also I've had a problem where my hud locked up and my console blew up in lua errors after setting up my class.
    My VOD actually contains this game in question (I think :o?) where people were being kicked randomly by the server.

It appears I was the source of at least 2 of the 3 server dumps: I was using the Magma Lance (I think that's what it's called :o?) for the Assault class, and both times, as soon as I landed a killing blow on someone, the server would just kick everyone. The third time it happened occurred when when I (I think?) killed someone with the sniper rifle. But Golden and I, as well as numerous other people, had gotten heaps of kills with the rifle prior to this without any problems. Although, there were a lot of explosive/flame weapons being used at the time, so I (and some others) are conjecturing that that may be the source of the kicks.

The first crash sequence begins at 13:50 (magma lance kill). The second occurrence begins at 19:00 (magma lance kill). There's actually a 3rd crash at 43:55, not sure what caused that one. The fourth kill-crash sequence begins at 46:55 (sniper rifle kill).

Hopefully this can help you squash this error, because the mod is really fun! A++++ would play again :D
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Oh yeah, the mod is pretty fun so far. All I wana do is smash someone with the giant hammer! :D
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    If I could get it working on my server, I would be playing it! It looks like fun!
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really awesome mod. I think sewlek found a way to make his game design style? of timers, cds, and the like really work.

Also manages to hit that holy grail of truly interesting balance between 'overepowered' abilities. You always feel op, yet the metagame seems to work out to be decently balanced (except the godahm rockets / forefield lol).

Competitive 2v2, 3v3 and around there will be actually fun to watch, unlike ns2 (unfortunately?)
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    Seems exactly like Dystopia which was brought back to life by the devs after 2-3 years without any updates recently. this means Factions will either be fantastic, or an extremely frustrating gametype. I am interested to see how it ends up.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Really enjoyed it last time I played.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    After playing it, its basically 100% Global Agenda on Spark engine. (HUD, Implants, energy based, etc...) Pretty fun minus the bug here and there.
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Are there any servers that are playing this? looks fun!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I managed to fix the UI bug today