NS2 failed to allocate ###### bytes and will now terminate.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @mb42 please see my post above?
  • TheMuadDibTheMuadDib Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187685Members
    Now I got a new error message during the crash after 5-10 minutes: Fatal error. Only the outline of the error message was shown, but I did make a crash report with TechSupport.exe while the game was still active (in crashed state)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Can you both try running with low textures and Texture Streaming enabled?
    Need to hear results regarding these settings please.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    streaming on, everything else low including textures. w/ both dx9 and dx11, error saying failed to allocate 204800 bytes. I'll post again if I get a diff number.
  • MB42MB42 Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187923Members
    edited September 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @mb42 please see my post above?

Sry IronHorse, I missed your earlier post. Will do.
  • PattyDaPlayerPattyDaPlayer Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187346Members
    All settings low, texture streaming on. Game crashes with byte error of 43904056

Again IronHorse I am following your instructions to get a minidump yet when I run techsupport.exe and leave the crashed ns2 on it doesn't generate the dump. Am I missing something?
  • mechlordxmechlordx Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187821Members
    edited September 2013
    @pattydaplayer No, you're not. This crash doesn't seem to be able to get captured in a minidump for some dumb frustrating reason. :)

@mechlordx thanks

The devs are on it still, looks to be like fragmented memory, not a memory leak.
    Will keep you all updated here.
  • robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Well, today I delete everything:
    1. I deleted the game from steam
    2. I deleted WHOLE ~\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 folder (it was in roaming folder)
    3. I deleted ~\Steam\userdata\...\4920 (user data)
    4. I unsubscribed from anything related to the game, even removed my fav. mode from favorites

Got everything to low in graphics and enabled streaming...
    Crashes after 15 mins or so (bit better than before)
  • mechlordxmechlordx Join Date: 2013-09-05 Member: 187821Members
    Don't you mean some dump frustrating reason

I'll be here all week folks.

*Stares intently at thread waiting for answer to play favorite game*
  • AddedAdded Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184098Members
    Am also getting this error, but it seems like it's a common issue so I'll wait for a fix. :P
  • robinhood752robinhood752 Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187379Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Lags less now, but still more than once a game
    Oh, I reduced resolution as well
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    24187448 bytes, pretty big dump this time - had to upload it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4ftr43boyh09ht/tech_supportdx11allocatefail.zip

Hope that works/helps!
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    edited September 2013
    Just thought i would add that before Reinforcment i do not remember a single crash or hang and i have been playing since release. After reinforcement i was crashing out with all different errors in my log relating to memory leaks, call stacks, failed to load, could not find, missing blah blah ect, but not this latest "failed to allocate".
    The failed to allocate has popped up in a window each time i have crashed to desktop in this latest build 255 only, not before.
    Maybe it helps, not sure how relavent it is.
  • AddedAdded Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184098Members
    edited September 2013
    I believe everyone here is in the same situation as you, @majorpain; the patch brought a LOT of bugs which are being worked on by the dev team as we speak. It's widely agreed it should have been QA'd properly before it was sent out but I guess they were working to a schedule.
    I am trying to be as clear as possible relating to the error, i have not seen it being mentioned that it is specific to build 255.
    Its good to know its being investigated, i am confident it will be sorted out, hope the chaps over in Oz are on the Red Bulls and working through the night to get my game working lol.
    For future reference though, i would have appreciated the option to play the old build in the interim untill this build is stable. I understand small dev so limited people to test a build thats why they released as they did but given how much of the engine was changed and the issues its caused after a few days of this testing you would have expected them to offer up the option to play the old stable build if you were having issues.
    Error: NS2 failed to allocate 204800 bytes and will now terminate.
    Error: 571 memory leaks in 'AnimationGraph' (123228 bytes)

Last 2 lines of log after crash again.
  • BazZzBazZz Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109614Members
    edited September 2013
    Hey guys, same here, crashing each game after 5-10 minutes. Resulting in the error:

This started sometime after a major patch for me :(

Ever since then the game is unplayable for me
  • LeopardLeopard Join Date: 2013-08-25 Member: 187078Members
    Had the error:

Error: NS2 failed to allocate 14400000 bytes and will now terminate.

I didn't close NS2 right away, and got another error after a bit:

Last lines of the log:

Error: 677 memory leaks in 'AnimationGraph' (136980 bytes)
    Error: 282793 memory leaks in 'Model' (260655556 bytes)

Specs: Windows XP 32-bits, 4GB RAM (3GB usable). Using DX9, Textures: Low, Texture Streaming: On.
    Created one more dump during a crash with the attached error message box
    I change the "Streaming textures" to on, now I could play longer (~20 mins) before I got a different error: "Files don't match with server, possible upgrade happened". But no crash so far...
    Thanks everyone. Especially @2cough for that minidump .. forwarded to devs to debug.
    Issue is well aware still, and they are on it. No updates as of right now. Will keep you all posted.
    Thanks again for the info.
  • MB42MB42 Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187923Members
    edited September 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @pattydaplayer No, you're not. This crash doesn't seem to be able to get captured in a minidump for some dumb frustrating reason. :)

@mechlordx thanks

The devs are on it still, looks to be like fragmented memory, not a memory leak.
    Will keep you all updated here.

Just to second pattydaplayer, I am unable to generate the minidump file as well. I can run the techsupport.exe no problem but there is no minidump type of file. The zip is only half the size of 2coughs file, so I presume that I am missing the dump.

@mb42 this memory crash is highly elusive and does not wish to be caught by the minidump process.. have no idea why. Typically its a simple and quick way for us to find the culprit behind crashes. Very frustrating that it fails us in this instance. X(
    @Ironhorse thx for the updates and interaction, helps us to not feel forgotten! *gratitude* :D Also downloading dropbox took me a while, and that file took forever to upload, so I'm glad it's not been for naught!

If this is helpful at all, I find that I'm able to play combat for quite some time before a crash, if at all, sometimes like 4 - 5 rounds. However vanilla is just not havin the same luck.
  • LuciferkeLuciferke Join Date: 2013-09-07 Member: 187938Members
    edited September 2013
    Brought This Game 2 weeks ago. Can not play with this. Reinstalled Windows 7, Nuked about 10 times and still can't play.
    Memory allocation error now, before crash about 5-10 min gameplay.

Here is my dump:

At the end of dump, why is it using D: drive?
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    i have same problem, windows cant allocate , in my case 49****** bytes will now terminate

textures low , streaming on
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Why.... NS2 have to crash every time ít got update :(
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Luciferke wrote: »
    Brought This Game 2 weeks ago. Can not play with this. Reinstalled Windows 7, Nuked about 10 times and still can't play.
    Memory allocation error now, before crash about 5-10 min gameplay.

Here is my dump:

At the end of dump, why is it using D: drive?

The error about failing to load something off a D: drive is a very minor asset error (and is known). It isn't related to the crash.

It appears techsupport.exe did not capture the memory dump. :( The next time this happens try to run techsupport.exe again and make sure that NS2.exe is still running when you do. Even then it seems that techsupport.exe is failing to capture the memory dump in some cases so it's a bit of a crap shoot right now.