co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Yes we made it! Great job everyone, especially DarkSeraph for putting all the pieces together :)
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    The following portals need to have the texture redone for the final 2... nope 3 rooms. @Rudy.cz did them originally and I'm not sure how:
    k1
    k2
    l2 - L not i
    h2
    g2
    f1
    j1

I just took screenshots and end edited them. Do you need to finish the rest of the portals?

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited October 2013
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    The following portals need to have the texture redone for the final 2... nope 3 rooms. @Rudy.cz did them originally and I'm not sure how:
    k1
    k2
    l2 - L not i
    h2
    g2
    f1
    j1

I just took screenshots and end edited them. Do you need to finish the rest of the portals?

I think most of those can be changed, however WhiteDevil might still change crystal caves? Still if you set them now it would be pretty obvious it was crystal caves, even if the layout changes.

So I'm not sure if we should finish the rest of the portals now, or wait to see if WhiteDevil updates. Either way - yes the rest of the portals need to be finished sooner or later.

Lastly, you're absolutely right: everyone did a great job! I'm really happy with the way the map has turned out. I hope lots of people have a lot of fun playing on it!
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @DarkSeraph sure, I'll add back the rooms which was cut out because I thought they would make it too big.
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    @DarkSeraph sure, I'll add back the rooms which was cut out because I thought they would make it too big.

Thanks man - hopefully it's not too much of a pain? Walking time between portals as marine should take around 6 seconds - it doesn't have to be precise, just close enough that when you go through one portal you aren't immediately facing another. I would have happily checked out the earlier version, sorry you scrapped it!

I think you can use the live map - I believe I'm done making changes. Or I can just copy over again? Whatever works for you.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    We had a play on this today - what a blast!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    WOW this came together nice! Am I wrong, or can you see a distorted image of whats on the other side of the portal?

I cant wait to play this!
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome job guys! congratulations! : D
  • SkyPirateSkyPirate Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146845Members
    I wish i could map, but i have no idea how to. Its good to see the devs embracing combat mod
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    looks really awesome!
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    UWE needs to buy you out and make you an official mapper along with combat an official gamemode, in otherwords, great job!

The circus tent looks like borderlands, anyone else notice that?
    Sewlek wrote: »
    looks really awesome!

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The circus is scary.
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    UWE needs to buy you out and make you an official mapper along with combat an official gamemode, in otherwords, great job!

I would agree that several people that have helped have some serious ability! Luckily for you some are already engaged in creating a full ns2 map. I personally do not have the skills to even hold a candle to the work of Flaterectomy or many others.
    The circus is scary.

Check out the working cannon! Rudy did a great job.
    SkyPirate wrote: »
    I wish i could map, but i have no idea how to. Its good to see the devs embracing combat mod

This forum is all about helping people learn to map. Browse around, learn how to use the Spark Editor, ask around when you aren't sure how to do something. There are a lot of tutorial vids around as well and lots of people willing to help. I believe F0rdPrefect just went through this so you might be able to ask him for tips. Not knowing how to map isn't a reason to not do it!

devs don't care about combat mod directly ;) but they are always pleased when people use their tools to create awesome things!
    Benson wrote: »
    WOW this came together nice! Am I wrong, or can you see a distorted image of whats on the other side of the portal?

Yes, it's a bit of a trick as you aren't actually seeing through to the other room, but thanks to Howser's work on the effects & Rudy's help the portals look amazing!!

Thanks for all the support. Hopefully we'll see it on servers soon!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There are a lot of tutorial vids around as well and lots of people willing to help. I believe F0rdPrefect just went through this so you might be able to ask him for tips. Not knowing how to map isn't a reason to not do it!

Hey, you are up to date ;)

Yes, just ask the questions you have. Create a new thread or send me a PM!
    Hehe, could we call this a Crowd-developed map? :-)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Hehe, could we call this a Crowd-developed map? :-)
    Crowd-Crafted ;)

Great job to all the guys that contributed to this, looks wild and fantastic!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Spark-collective-crafted?! I really cant wait to play this. I've missed silly combat mode matches :P
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This looks great! Nice work!

Was this any quicker to make than individually mapping? If so, is it worth considering working on a few normal mode maps collaboratively? Obviously, you'd need to agree a layout that would work first but I figure it might be a quick way of getting lots of new maps in the game.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Was this any quicker to make than individually mapping? If so, is it worth considering working on a few normal mode maps collaboratively? Obviously, you'd need to agree a layout that would work first but I figure it might be a quick way of getting lots of new maps in the game.

It has been done already, please see ns2_jambi

In this instance this was not faster than individual mapping - this is because several people dropped out after a couple months, and then we had to wait for someone to get out of the hospital! The point is life happens and there will always be delays when creating a community sourced map.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good lord, I want to play this...
    There are the updated portal images. Also there is slight bug in Gravity hub. The central portal model is A1 instead of A2.
    There are the updated portal images. Also there is slight bug in Gravity hub. The central portal model is A1 instead of A2.

Thank you so much! The map has been updated!
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crystal caves is getting closer to being finished, I've now made the cave out of my rock models.

turds6.JPG

Additionally I made a custom shader which allow my crystals to glow with a texture instead of using gazillion small lights to have the same effect. It's not as pretty as earlier but I'm still tweaking the glow texture to look better.
    Kinda funny that UWE doesn't use emissive glow on their light props since it's really easy to just tweak the glow intensity on the shader. Performance maybe? dunno.
    crystals8.jpg
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    Additionally I made a custom shader which allow my crystals to glow with a texture instead of using gazillion small lights to have the same effect. It's not as pretty as earlier but I'm still tweaking the glow texture to look better.
    Kinda funny that UWE doesn't use emissive glow on their light props since it's really easy to just tweak the glow intensity on the shader. Performance maybe? dunno.

I'd like to know more about this...
    Should we drop a name? :D
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Was playing with a bunch of guys on this earlier today found a small exploitable issue.
    As a marine heading to aliens spawn in the gorge tunnel room you can hide behind the portal by holding back. I think you need to pass through it first then back again to achive the bug. Might want to extend the portal field right up to the wall or even through it.
    Looking great @WhiteDevil !

@WorthyRival Good point, I've expanded the teleports in Gorge Tunnel.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I was thinking would anyone else like to do another community map project? A tug of war map would be a lot of fun to make. Though I would like to try a different approach to the team effort. Maybe assigning people roles rather than areas. Level-designers, env artists (props and textures), coders (if we need to alter how the game mechanics work), level-dressers (apply props and lighting).

As for co_portals: I have really enjoyed playing the last few games on it but I think there is a few problems that can be easily addressed:
    The run time from marine start to the Portals is far too long. You need to open up the blocked entrances facing towards the portals.
    Also gravity doesn't work. People seem to avoid it. While I like the design of the room the zero gravity effect is too buggy. keeping the effect is fine the placement of the portals needs to be revised.
    Gorges tunnel-. I like the style but right now its quite hard to fight in for both teams. There's no real cover and its visually very intense.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Also, I played this one the other day, and unfortunately, most of the matches quickly devolved into a marine turtle where aliens camp the area just to the right of marine spawn, right outside the portal (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name at this time), and Gravity is a pain in the butt for both teams, so it's typically avoided.

It's a nice area though, just turn off the zero gravity effect, make it seem like the gravity generator is undergoing maintenance or something... and then add in a real portal for marines, not the one where you have to awkwardly float to the middle of that area just to get to marine start.