slow texture loading/loading screen exited prematurely after 240 (got worse with 243)

hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
This is about the texture loading/precaching when loading a map.
Trying to describe the timeline of events.
Texture quality is on max.

Before 240 (everything is fine):
- loading screen
- precaching .. 0% - 100%
- be in game (with high res textures)

In 240/241/242 (something is bugged):
- loading screen
- precaching 0%
- precaching stops at some percentage (varies), e.g. 60%
- game "freezes" (the rotating loading indicator stops, nothing is moving) for a few (5-10) seconds
- be in game with low res textures
- after about a second (no longer), high res textures are loaded

In 243 (it got worse):
- loading screen
- precaching 0%
- precaching reaches some percentage, like 37% (varies)
- game "freezes" for a second
- be in game with low res textures
- it takes 10+ seconds until the high res textures are loaded

Basically, it seems the loading screen is exited prematurely since 240, and it got worse with 243.

What kind of logs etc would I need to post to help? It happens every time when I start the game/load a map (i think) so it's reproducable as you wish.

Comments

• rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Before joining a server, set loadtimes to 'true' and do p_logall. Both the regular log and the plog are located in AppData > Roaming > Natural Selection 2.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Ok, this is interesting and might be related to the Visual C++ runtime error.

The option p_logall will consistently crash NS2. 100% reproducable for me.

Here's my timeline of attempts. Every time i started NS2 newly, entered console commands (loadtimes true, p_logall) and connected to a random non modded server (UWE official) while the server list was still loading (I don't think the latter matters)

1. game crashes "after the loading screen" with the visual c++ runtime error message dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/runtimeerror.jpg and then the usual "NS2.exe has stopped working" windows message
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/log.txt
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/client-0322-221948.plog

Sorry, I cannot provide dump files, these are too big (600mb) for my shitty upload.

2-4. game crashes after loading without visual c++ runtime message, only the windows message
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/log%20(2).txt
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/client-0322-222448%20(2).plog
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/log%20(3).txt
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/client-0322-222749%20(3).plog
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/log%20(4).txt
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/client-0322-223325%20(4).plog

restarted pc and no more logs from now, it repeats

5. game crashes with visual c++ message

6. without "loadtimes true" and "p_logall" the game works (the issue in the OP persists though)

7. "loadtimes true" only: works too

8. "p_logall" only: game crashes

Here's my dxdiag if you need it. PC is fairly standard, but I have an SSD.
    dl.dropbox.com/u/155555273/DxDiag.txt

Random bits of information:
    - i saw a lot of memory leak errors in console yesterday, others have posted this too
    - i have a german keyboard, the console button (left of "1") will create the ^ symbol to be put over other letters, like ê. this might f##k up input somehow.

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Could you load into a map, type "r_stats" in the console, then post a screenshot? It should show a bunch of stats on the top left of the screen.
    edited March 2013
    4 screenies:

First 4: r_stats typed in menu, joined a server, instantly mashed screenshot button until textures are fully loaded, turned around for 4th screenshot
    Fifth: restarted game, went into server and Generator room, typed r_stats, made screenshot

extra info:
    - the time between being in game and having full texture quality was only a few seconds today, shorter than "usual". precaching mostly stopped at 99%, then the loading screen "froze" for a few seconds before you were in game
    - p_logall (entered into console while in menu) still crashes the game at the end of the precaching percentage counter (sometimes with the visual c++ message, sometimes without it)

good luck with finding that bug (the visual c++ crash i mean) :)
    if you need more stuff to help, say so
    i could upload a dump file for a crash, but it will take really long (80kB/s upload)
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited March 2013
    @hozz

The "freeze" after pre-caching is reflections being calculated (our bad for not giving better feedback here).

You are running low on texture memory, which is probably causing your issues. Try two things:
    1) Disable reflections - this should free up some texture memory.
    2) Turn texture quality to MEDIUM.

Try them one at a time, and if it stabilizes things, great! Otherwise, try both, or even try lowering texture quality to LOW.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    edited March 2013
    my screens black out for me, during loading, but game runs smoother than ever once the 10-15 second black screen ends. Game is installed on a crucial m4, don't know if that has anything to do with it. It doesn't really effect me, just kind of odd tbh.
    @steverock
    Thanks for the clarification. I can play the game 100% fine (and have a 2GB card :O ), that was never the problem. Will play a round with gfx settings and see.

I mainly posted this because:
    • Well, it is a bug, and it appeared after 240. before that, everything was fine. So I just though I could mention it here.
    • It got worse with 243, which also saw the new crash on map load/virtual c++ error message bug.. both issues "at the end of the loading screen".
      I can still consistently get NS2 to crash with this bug when I'm using the p_logall console option.