Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 203 released

Comments

• deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    edited April 2012
    small error: pushing escape with the chat open not only exits the chat but brings up the menu too

edit:

oo and yay for f4!! now all we need is f1 and f2 to come back to join teams :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1921234:date=Apr 2 2012, 07:59 PM:name=deaglecrazy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deaglecrazy @ Apr 2 2012, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->small error: pushing escape with the chat open not only exits the chat but brings up the menu too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    known bug recently added. :)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921206:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:08 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 2 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->b) server room map? you mean the minimap of server room? i'm confused<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, sorry. Tram's Server Room is a huge mess on the minimap. I'll go put details in the map forum.

Great to hear the other issues are being looked at. Annotation added :)
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    A couple of things might not be specific to this patch exactly.

The weird sound that gets played when a Skulk bites an alien building/cyst or whatever is a little jarring I find.

Also the transition between shooting the rifle and not shooting the rifle is a bit twitchy at the moment, same with reloading then swapping to another gun and similar things, obviously these are minor compared to performance and finishing the game but if they're simple to fix it'd be nice.

Looking good anyway guys, starting to look a real game, will be amazing when the Exo gets put in :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1921249:date=Apr 2 2012, 08:45 PM:name=Jow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jow @ Apr 2 2012, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A couple of things might not be specific to this patch exactly.
    The weird sound that gets played when a Skulk bites an alien building/cyst or whatever is a little jarring I find.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i thought this too the first time i heard it. and then i tried to think of what something "Better" sounded like. It has to sound "invalid" or "incorrect" .. organically.
    i obviously couldn't imagine what it should sound like. lol.
  • MBSgrieverMBSgriever Join Date: 2005-06-11 Member: 53644Members, Constellation
    So you guys nerfed the gorge by taking bile bomb away, then nerfed the onos secondary attack. Now your nerfing the gorge again and theres still no mythical "goo wall."

Something I've been saying lately on any server I play on and most people tend to agree, "with every new patch this game becomes more like an alpha."
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anything the skulk is feeling beautiful.. !! movement responsiveness flows really great now with no sliding and it seems like wall jump speed boost got increased a bit? Or maybe it feels that way because its more bug free.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    The views of the editor spark still black, unusable. Wait as they once had to do.
    I hope they do not take months like last time.
    Excellent build anyway.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Yep, lets go to PAX and show a quarter of the USA a game, unfortunatly now Australasia cannot play, doesn't matter right? Indonesia only has 249 million people. Oh wait...
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    1 hide armor less isn't going to fix onos. Think of how gimp fade is on one hive, onos is still a joke. He's still going to be a stupidly powerful unit capable of appearing 7-10 minutes into the game. Exo is not going to come out 7-10 minutes into the game to counter that, the balance is still just bad. All people were asking for was early game nerfs to the onos, not end game nerfs. He still scales in no way with the number of Hives up which is a really poor decision- Even scaling the hide armor by 2 per hive might have been enough.

TL;DR of this patch: Fixed absolutely nothing balance-wise.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1921282:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:51 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Apr 3 2012, 07:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, lets go to PAX and show a quarter of the USA a game, unfortunatly now Australasia cannot play, doesn't matter right? Indonesia only has 249 million people. Oh wait...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not really the Dev's fault that there are no servers in your area. Server performance could be improved yes, but from what I hear it's difficult to get good internet connections on that part of the world. I'm sure someone will rise to take over Endar's legacy. As InvTempest and NS2servers.com shows, money is there to be made if you're willing to invest in the future.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1921315:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:07 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Apr 3 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not really the Dev's fault that there are no servers in your area. Server performance could be improved yes, but from what I hear it's difficult to get good internet connections on that part of the world. I'm sure someone will rise to take over Endar's legacy. As InvTempest and NS2servers.com shows, money is there to be made if you're willing to invest in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I just rented a server from the best game server company in Aus their servers run 64 player BF3 games smoothly..

Yet NS2 won't run smoothly with 10-12 players... The fault lies entirely with the game not the servers/hosts..
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921315:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:07 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Apr 3 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not really the Dev's fault that there are no servers in your area. Server performance could be improved yes, but from what I hear it's difficult to get good internet connections on that part of the world. I'm sure someone will rise to take over Endar's legacy. As InvTempest and NS2servers.com shows, money is there to be made if you're willing to invest in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hearing this is slightly concerning.

As you know, currently you need a beastly box and a good connection to host ns2. The situation thus is that we can get the former (using a desktop/custom built) but not the latter, or we can get the latter through a game server rental but not the former.

If your suggesting that a player high-spec server rental startup specifically for ns2 is an investment for the long term then I am left concerned at how long this implies we will be waiting for server optimisation. We are 3 months away from 1.0 launch and if UWE has any plans for commercial success its clear that server performance needs to increase dramatically. Player investment in high spec rental with a 3 month window is clearly not a viable option.

Its clear that hosting NS2 is currently an unacceptable single core hog if your goal is to connect the world through play. I always held the opinion that UWE was very aware of this and it was a top priority but after hearing that you believe a high-spec server rental is a long term investment my confidence is quite shaken.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921170:date=Apr 3 2012, 02:50 AM:name=Perestroika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Perestroika @ Apr 3 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uwe why u nerf gorge heal<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To make him more useless :P
    Maybe in the next build he can only run, you know like a rat run from a cat, the gorge run from marines, except the rat is way faster then a cat.
    Gorge cry for momentum.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Reduced Onos hide armor from 6 to 5.<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    What is 'hide armor'?

Edit:
    Finaly the Spark Launch pad is fixed!
    Also the Model re-openning

<!--quoteo(post=1921220:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:28 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Apr 3 2012, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enjoying the patch, killed many lifeforms this day. And with shotguns you can defend against oni now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Grenadlauncher is way more powerfull. ;)
    One onos takes 8 grenades + 35 bullets (weapon 3) and it's dead.
    And don't forget grenades have a splash damage.
    A shotgun takes about 11-14 hits and only one onos died, lol.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921328:date=Apr 3 2012, 03:56 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Apr 3 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is 'hide armor'?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hide armor reduces any incoming damage by a fixed amount. for the onos that means -5 now (-6 before). that means weapons which have low dmg output (but maybe high fire rate) will suffer the most from hide armor. in build 202 rifle damage (not upgraded) was reduced by 60% due to hide armor, now it is 50%. and since shotgun deal light damage and each pellet is threaned individually, hide armor and the general high armor amount of the onos make shotguns actually the weakest weapon against him.

edit: if you have more questions about damage calculations you can check "DamageTypes.lua". i wrote that file very easy to read, just start reading at line 287 'BuildDamageTypeRules()' and you see what i mean
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited April 2012
    Hmmm I think Max fixed my crashes at the second splash screen.

But when i join or create NS2 shows those art works then goes black after 10-20 seconds it crash again. Then crash report submit window is appearing.
    Here is the log

Date: 04/03/12
    Time: 11:37:26
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 203
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.9610)
    Connecting to server 178.239.163.86:27015
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/onos_step' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/sprint_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/sprint_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/sprint_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/sprint_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/backpedal_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/backpedal_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/backpedal_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/backpedal_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/crouch_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/crouch_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/crouch_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/crouch_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_left' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_right' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/common/distress_beacon' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/common/distress_beacon' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/bash' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/skulk/bite_hit_electronic' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/onos/gore_hit_electronic' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.animation_graph'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/marine/catalyst.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/marine/beacon_big.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/hydra/spike_aoe.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shift/teleport_end.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shift/teleport_start.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/onos/gore_hit_left.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/onos/gore_hit_right.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/laser.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shade/phantom/phantom_onos4.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shade/phantom/phantom_onos5.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shade/phantom/phantom_onos6.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/shift/echo_target.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/lerk/spore_trail_fadeout.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/materials/marine/bash.cinematic'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921258:date=Apr 3 2012, 06:20 AM:name=MBSgriever)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MBSgriever @ Apr 3 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you guys nerfed the gorge by taking bile bomb away, then nerfed the onos secondary attack. Now your nerfing the gorge again and theres still no mythical "goo wall."

Something I've been saying lately on any server I play on and most people tend to agree, "with every new patch this game becomes more like an alpha."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    u should (try to) play build 100 :)!
  • john_bjohn_b Join Date: 2011-03-10 Member: 85608Members
    I must be missing something. Where are all the changelogs posted?? It would be nice in the future to include the link to the changelog when you post these topics!
  • FlyD4wnFlyD4wn Join Date: 2010-04-22 Member: 71484Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921348:date=Apr 3 2012, 10:50 AM:name=john_b)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (john_b @ Apr 3 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must be missing something. Where are all the changelogs posted?? It would be nice in the future to include the link to the changelog when you post these topics!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps the front-page?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a>
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921337:date=Apr 3 2012, 10:21 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Apr 3 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hide armor reduces any incoming damage by a fixed amount. for the onos that means -5 now (-6 before). that means weapons which have low dmg output (but maybe high fire rate) will suffer the most from hide armor. in build 202 rifle damage (not upgraded) was reduced by 60% due to hide armor, now it is 50%. and since shotgun deal light damage and each pellet is threaned individually, hide armor and the general high armor amount of the onos make shotguns actually the weakest weapon against him.

edit: if you have more questions about damage calculations you can check "DamageTypes.lua". i wrote that file very easy to read, just start reading at line 287 'BuildDamageTypeRules()' and you see what i mean<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the reply, that explain a lot.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921348:date=Apr 3 2012, 10:50 AM:name=john_b)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (john_b @ Apr 3 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must be missing something. Where are all the changelogs posted?? It would be nice in the future to include the link to the changelog when you post these topics!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    visit the main page my friend
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    I'm a little disappointed about the gorge nerf too, I already felt his energy cost on heal was high enough. Now he's going to be even more useless, at least until his new stuff comes in, not to mention he'll probably have a harder time surviving, himself. This is also still hardly addresses the onos problem.

Rest of the changes look good, good luck at PAX and looking forward to the upcoming changes afterwards!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921315:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:07 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Apr 3 2012, 04:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As InvTempest and NS2servers.com shows, money is there to be made if you're willing to invest in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wow, really? even performance on inversion servers is getting choppy with the latest patches, are you going to tell us that we need ivy bridge servers next? that's so delusional.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    Even laggier than last patch, steady decline in performance in the last few patches, and even some friends who had less lag than me are now also getting intermittent freezes and hitching.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Healing energy cost was already too high for gorges! It made little difference when I sat atop a hive healing it while it was being shot.

The gorge is too slow to be a very good front line healer, plus you run out of energy quick and your team mates get impatient so they fly back to a hive for healing.

It takes a long time to heal up structures so it wasn't as if a gorge can hide behind a structure keeping it and itself alive under pressure.

Marines have macs, mines and nano shield to protect structures. If the gorge's healing abilities are to be nerfed then please let drifters act as healers for structures.

If the problem UWE want to solve is gorges making the onos too tough, then why not reduce the amount of health the onos receives from a gorge's healing?
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    Tram minimap is fubared.. it seems to have weird piping over marine spawn all on the right side... strange. Wasnt like that before.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    <i><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk" target="_blank">F4</a>! Huh! Yeah!
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing
    Uh-huh</i>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1921396:date=Apr 3 2012, 12:58 PM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Apr 3 2012, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk" target="_blank">F4</a>! Huh! Yeah!
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing
    Uh-huh</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tell that to the Onos coming to a town near you this summer!
  • AluqahAluqah Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73285Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Hi ! Pumpkin_Golem here

i am not seeing the marines animation at all, just the models moving around (kind of funny), could you fix it?

im running windows 7 64, core i5, gforce gtx 260