Diablo III Launch Date

Comments

• LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    You cheater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936251:date=May 14 2012, 05:36 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ May 14 2012, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome, the place I pre-ordered my US key from has given me an EU one instead. Never has a better mistake been made, I can now play in 20 minutes instead of 10 hours :D!

And then when US comes out I can switch back to somewhere with decent ping :>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not exactly...

1) If you have a US BNet account, you will likely not be able to play on the EU servers at launch.
    2) Characters are region locked.
    3) If you do end up with an EU BNet account, you will not be able to use the US RMAH.

Also, a note on monks:

They were initially supposed to be straight fists and feet, however the design of them changed, but the animations were not. There was a post a little while back about it. They intend to incorporate weapons where it makes sense in the animations.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Shocking news! Games company underestimates demand at launch. Servers unresponsive! This and more interesting articles can be found at totallycalledit.com
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936258:date=May 14 2012, 11:10 PM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ May 14 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shocking news! Games company underestimates demand at launch. Servers unresponsive! This and more interesting articles can be found at totallycalledit.com<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it's impossible? Maybe even the vast resources of Blizzard failed to meet the demands upon the authoring server?

Hah, just kidding, this kind of ###### just builds hype between those who squeeze in those who do not.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936236:date=May 14 2012, 09:49 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ May 14 2012, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm curious, in the German version do they have regional accents for the appropriate characters?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. My friend went with a different approach. Since Germany has a very rich voice over culture, since you know, we dub pretty much everything, he simple took voices of famous people that imply a regional accent... like for example he took the german voice of antonio banderas for an arabic kinda guy etc. It works really well.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1936255:date=May 15 2012, 08:00 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ May 15 2012, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not exactly...

1) If you have a US BNet account, you will likely not be able to play on the EU servers at launch.
    2) Characters are region locked.
    3) If you do end up with an EU BNet account, you will not be able to use the US RMAH.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Although I ordered a US key, I was delivered with an EU one so I would be able to play on them now if they were actually working.
    2)Yeah kinda sucks, will play an alt character until region free and US unlocks.
    3)Don't care :)
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    The whole "40 second delay per connection attempt" seems like complete bull######. Spamming like hell has gotten my friend in already. Unless it's hidden and only allows one attempt to go through every 40sec.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I was nice knowing you guys, see you in one year I guess? :P
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Called in sick today. Realised half an hour later that D3 comes out today.

No intention of playing D3. Haven't pre-ordered. Didn't finish D2.

--Scythe--
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936276:date=May 14 2012, 06:12 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ May 14 2012, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Called in sick today. Realised half an hour later that D3 comes out today.

No intention of playing D3. Haven't pre-ordered. Didn't finish D2.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You tell them your clothes were broke and you didn't have enough gold for repairs?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936226:date=May 14 2012, 09:11 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ May 14 2012, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/79y2i3qjtJc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/79y2i3qjtJc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know, it sounds good but it's hard to tell when it's not a language you know really well...
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    haha german is silly
    edited May 2012
    So I guess the EU launch was a mess...and Asia was a disaster (servers).

Here's hoping us American's are the lucky ones -- maybe wishful thinking?

The clock is ticking and the time is near.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Golly-gosh. Hey remember when the stress-test was a complete mess and nobody was worried because surely all of that would be fixed before release? Man, who could have seen this coming!
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    Anyone got a guest pass? I'm not buying it before I've comleted my finals, but I'd still like to dip my toes into the water so to speak.
    Yeah I bummed one off a friend. In my case it's more a matter of price. 60€ is <i>steep</i> when Torchlight 2 (pre-purchase) is 19€ on Steam right now. If D3 were half the price I'd snap it up without hesitation.
    But who knows, maybe an "extended stress test weekend" can convince me otherwise.
    These servers.... ASDSKJDSKSDJKJDSKAJD!!!!!!!!
    edited May 2012
    They're pretty bad. Which servers are you on? I'm on the EU servers and I can't log in at all. Granted I've only been trying for a short while, but it's kinda bad. If I had paid for this rather than just getting a guest pass, I would be upset.
    When Asscreed 2 had the same problem I got a free game out of it. Will Blizzard do anything to make amends for their paying customers, or will they adopt a "tough ######, deal with it" attitude?

Edit: Also, I wonder if, as a freeloader, I am being given lower priority. Not that I can complain if that's the case.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    To be honest, I didn't really intend on buying DIII. I've already got plenty to play and whatnot so if I was going to buy it, it'd probably be a lot later down the line...

~looks in emails~

Ooh! a free copy of Diablo III collector's edition? I have awesome friends :3
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    Anyone want a guest pass?
    I did manage to log in eventually. The latency is pretty high at the moment. At least I hope it's just at the moment. For instance, there's a notable delay between swinging my wand (or sword or axe or whatever implement is firing magic at the time) and firing a magic bolt.

I am honestly a bit surprised at all this. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I mean, they ran a stress test a while back, which was open to <i>everybody</i>. They can hardly claim that the demand caught them by surprise, nor that they didn't know what kind of server loads large groups of people would cause. Why weren't they prepared for this? It's bizarrely unprofessional.
    It's not even like they have to play that delicate juggling act that MMOs have to do. MMOs can't put up too few servers, or they'll be crippled by too many players trying to play all at once. But if they put too many up, they risk ending up with too few players spread thinly across too many servers after the post-launch slump hits. Diablo 3 doesn't have that problem, since it only has regions, not individual servers. It should be possible for them to add or remove hardware as demand necessitates without the users even noticing. And with that in mind, they should have been prepared for high demand at launch, since they could just scale back later. I'll say it again: Unprofessional.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936434:date=May 15 2012, 04:51 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 15 2012, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone want a guest pass?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd really appreciate it

2 if at all possible, a friend of mine would also like to try. If not, 1 is fine.
    I guess we should have expected this.

They obviously never learned from the WoW launch.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936435:date=May 15 2012, 11:05 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 15 2012, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did manage to log in eventually. The latency is pretty high at the moment. At least I hope it's just at the moment. For instance, there's a notable delay between swinging my wand (or sword or axe or whatever implement is firing magic at the time) and firing a magic bolt.

I am honestly a bit surprised at all this. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I mean, they ran a stress test a while back, which was open to <i>everybody</i>. They can hardly claim that the demand caught them by surprise, nor that they didn't know what kind of server loads large groups of people would cause. Why weren't they prepared for this? It's bizarrely unprofessional.
    It's not even like they have to play that delicate juggling act that MMOs have to do. MMOs can't put up too few servers, or they'll be crippled by too many players trying to play all at once. But if they put too many up, they risk ending up with too few players spread thinly across too many servers after the post-launch slump hits. Diablo 3 doesn't have that problem, since it only has regions, not individual servers. It should be possible for them to add or remove hardware as demand necessitates without the users even noticing. And with that in mind, they should have been prepared for high demand at launch, since they could just scale back later. I'll say it again: Unprofessional.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know nothing about the internets or computers but in a huge scale project like this, wouldn't any bottleneck make the entire thing come crashing down? So maybe it's even things they weren't in control of or had no clue that would act up under such immense stress. I was also really annoyed at not being able to log in but I can understand it's not easy to keep the server running.

Anyway I just finished act one and the boss at the end is AMAZING :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1936440:date=May 15 2012, 10:19 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ May 15 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd really appreciate it

2 if at all possible, a friend of mine would also like to try. If not, 1 is fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    PM'd both I had.
    <!--quoteo(post=1936452:date=May 15 2012, 11:21 PM:name=pallie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pallie @ May 15 2012, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyway I just finished act one and the boss at the end is AMAZING :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He was a god damn pushover imo, just like everyone else so far (just finished act 1). I've only been close to die when i sprint inside a crowd of 30 enemies and the lag doesn't trigger my knock-everyone-half-a-world-away straight off. The environmental dangers do more damage than the actual boss, at least his normal attacks, but the charged ones were so damn slow I don't see how anyone half-aware could get hit by them.

I'm having fun and there's plenty of stuff to try and explore but nothing is challenging yet, but then again, act 1.

Edit: I realize now what you were getting at, my head is a bit mushy after playing non-stop for 6 hours.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936461:date=May 15 2012, 06:59 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 15 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PM'd both I had.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You have my eternal gratitude
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936434:date=May 15 2012, 08:51 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 15 2012, 08:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone want a guest pass?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aww, you missed my post 3 post before :/

If anyone is feeling generous, I could still use a key.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936476:date=May 16 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Epidemic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Epidemic @ May 16 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aww, you missed my post 3 post before :/

If anyone is feeling generous, I could still use a key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a thing called "starter edition" apparently, it allows you to do the same thing as a guest pass but only up to 30 days after launch (Act 1, level 13). No need to grovel for anyone else now!

Edit: See post below, missed out on that crucial part as I skimmed the text :/
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Nope.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Note: The Diablo III Starter Edition will not be available without a Guest Pass until further notice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

--Scythe--