Walking backwards

Comments

• assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    You know whatd be real cool is if one of the devs just come in and say
    "walking backwards will stay how it is, period" - then close lock and delete this sh*t thread

too much bs is being said here. skulks running backwards, shorter legss, real life running, soccer players. god i dont even know wtf the argument is about anymore
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907555:date=Feb 27 2012, 01:51 PM:name=sam8uca)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sam8uca @ Feb 27 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also agree with th OP, backwards should be at normal Marine speed, the penalty should be to accuracy.
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1907562:date=Feb 27 2012, 02:05 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Feb 27 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Normal (or almost normal) speed when walking backwards, but make weapons really inaccurate when shooting while moving backwards.
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>+1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> to OP<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is an very interesting idea, I'm curious how it would play out. Worth a shot to try for 1 patch..
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907829:date=Feb 28 2012, 01:57 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Feb 28 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know whatd be real cool is if one of the devs just come in and say
    "walking backwards will stay how it is, period" - then close lock and delete this sh*t thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As a german I can say: Oppressing the freedom of opinion was always a great success... NOT!

Just because there are others who don't want to understand does not mean that they should not be able to voice their opinion.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    Tell me what good the opinions do when it never happens.
    A car doesnt reverse faster than it can drive forward.
    People cant run backwards faster than they can run forward, lets not forget he's carrying about 30~40 kg of equipment and armor on him.

With all fairness if anyone was in battle with aliens and tried to run backwards in panic they would fall over.

But you know, ###### reality, its a video game!~! yeah
    LEts all sprint backwards too thbats a cooll feature, also crouch run backwards so we can be on the same fov as a skulk. OH and proning, we need the ability to lie down dont ask me why, then while prone let us crawl backwards at the same speed as our running backwards for the sake of it not needing to make sense

just remove the gravity aswell so we can jump high without jetpacks, that way we can just jump backwards so we dont even need to run! i dont know why a 4 page thread hasnt been made about that one!

theres my opinion, how good does freedom of speech work out for you now.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Better than for you, I would say. But this lies in the eyes of others who read your text.
    Never mind. As I said, I agree that the idea of the op is nonsense, and I have done my best to explain why.
    There isn't more I can do.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Terrible idea. Marines need to choose to flee or fight, walking backwards at normal speed while shooting gives a large advantage against the advancing aliens.

And weapons don't really have accuracy in NS, they are all pretty much perfect when compared with CS. Most weapons don't have accuracy at all - shotguns, grenade launchers, flamers etc. Therefore reducing accuracy when walking backwards is a bad idea too.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Reducing accuracy is a bad idea.

Sorry but reducing accuracy is even harder to explain to someone who just started playing.

This is not a realism argument... we are fighting aliens people.
    This is a balance argument.

Instead of suggesting that people go outside and run backwards...
    Go into Quake3 or something basic and reliable.
    One player gets to use a machine gun or shotgun.
    One player can only use the melee weapon.

The player with the gun will run backwards shooting at the melee weapon....every time he encounters him (unless he is stupid)
    dead dead dead

The slight discrepancy between marine and skulk speed is negligible.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    MMORPG kiting comes to mind when you explain it like that :D
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907831:date=Feb 28 2012, 01:24 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Feb 28 2012, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is an very interesting idea, I'm curious how it would play out. Worth a shot to try for 1 patch..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a very bad idea because it would actually help marines. They would stand still until the skulks get close, then run backwards to turn their rifle into a shotgun.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907845:date=Feb 28 2012, 02:24 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Feb 28 2012, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And weapons don't really have accuracy in NS, they are all pretty much perfect when compared with CS. Most weapons don't have accuracy at all - shotguns, grenade launchers, flamers etc. Therefore reducing accuracy when walking backwards is a bad idea too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea I don't like the introduction of that either, looks like the slope towards CoD\MW is a slippery one indeed.

NS1 allowed some sideways-jump acrobatics to back-track while still retaining some kind of offensive-ability for the marine, perhaps something to consider. The whole 180-turn and run away from the alien feels very much unlike NS.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907776:date=Feb 28 2012, 12:46 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Feb 28 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm finding myself agreeing with elodea (which is a surprise), if it is such a problem for everyone, why is there a thread only coming up now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112063&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...112063&st=0</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112517&start=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...517&start=0</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115527&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...115527&st=0</a>
    This is not the first time this has been debated.

Also people keep neglecting how this speed reduction affects marine v fade balance. I'd rather marines have full backwards speed movement and then balance marine v skulk by either increasing skulk speed or giving them leap from the beginning.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    I just started playing yesterday (never played NS1) and I too got that feeling of "is it broke?" when I moved around a bit. Being able to move backwards at fair speed is something you just get so used to in FPS that it feels unnatural when it's changed. Balance problems aside, I'm pretty confident that this feature will turn a lot of people off to the game.

I also found it a bit strange that you could sprint forwards for as long as you want, while feeling crippled just taking a few steps backwards.

Wouldn't a stamina meter for the marines make sense? The backwards walking speed could be the same, but if there was a way to expend stamina to "sprint" or dodge backwards for a very short while I'm sure it wouldn't feel so restrictive. Also getting hit could expend stamina or for example getting hit with a parasite could permanently reduce a marines stamina.
  • 1v4n1v4n Join Date: 2011-08-23 Member: 118143Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907916:date=Feb 28 2012, 09:22 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 28 2012, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also people keep neglecting how this speed reduction affects marine v fade balance. I'd rather marines have full backwards speed movement and then balance marine v skulk by either increasing skulk speed or giving them leap from the beginning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    These replies here are ranged from good to .. omg.

Ok. Not looking at other games, or reality, not looking at anything else but NS2:
    This group of space marines can sprint for a long time and walk forward & side to side just fine. They can do welding and building, fly jetpacks, command squads and use a wide range of weapons. They just can't walk backwards faster than a turtle.

Apart from the 'balance' argument, can you at least agree that the backwards walk nerf is silly? The devs can try to speed it up some percent. The game is still evolving and balance can be restored in some other part.

Balance makes boring anyway.
  • John BlackthorneJohn Blackthorne Join Date: 2012-02-23 Member: 147245Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907936:date=Feb 28 2012, 03:31 PM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Feb 28 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->These replies here are ranged from good to .. omg.

Ok. Not looking at other games, or reality, not looking at anything else but NS2:
    This group of space marines can sprint for a long time and walk forward & side to side just fine. They can do welding and building, fly jetpacks, command squads and use a wide range of weapons. They just can't walk backwards faster than a turtle.

Apart from the 'balance' argument, can you at least agree that the backwards walk nerf is silly? The devs can try to speed it up some percent. The game is still evolving and balance can be restored in some other part.

Balance makes boring anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Finally someone who understands how balance is overrated and makes most games very dull. There needs to be as much as a difference between the Frontiersmen & the Kharaa as UWE can make otherwise why not change the game so only Kharaa VS Kharaa and Frontiersmen VS Frontiersmen, that would balance the game

Too many games that come out strive for balance and lose their unique skills/aesthetics/ play style etc.. per faction/ race etc ... I don't want to see Natural Selection 2 turn into that.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited February 2012
    Everyone in this thread that is seriously implying that balance is a boring or otherwise unnecessary part of gameplay can spend every NS game from now on playing the fly. The fly will be a new unit on both teams that adds a unique new playstyle: it moves slower than a backwards-walking marine, has no ranged weapons, can't see more than 5 feet beyond itself (everything farther is a black void), has 1 health, and its only ability is a slow-firing melee attack that does 1 light damage.

If balance doesn't matter, you guys should have no problem at all spending the rest of your Natural Selection career playing this innovative and under-played new class. Should you in fact decide that dying repeatedly to enemies you can not see or harm isn't enjoyable, feel free to come back to the thread and admit that you'd like a fair chance to kill your opponent.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    That's ignorant Tech.

What i ment, and i asume John aswell, is that when you strife for COMPLETE balance you're going to make a dull game. Sure it works, but it's going to be boring soon. Dynamics is what keeps it interesting and challenging.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited February 2012
    It's ignorant to want as fair a playing field as possible?

What's ignorant is assuming that dynamic gameplay can't be balanced. As long as you give each side an equal chance (or equal capability of effect) of influence on the dynamic environment, you can make things as varied as they want.

Skulks walking slowly isn't balance. Marines walking quickly isn't balance. Guns aren't balance. Marines being able to reliably and easily backtrack-and-fire to kill lifeforms that cost as much as they do (skulks) is balance.

You can make skulks weak at range, but you have to make them good up close. You can make them worse in a fight (by removing carapace) if you make them better at ambushing (camouflage). You can make them worse in both if you give them potential (money to go Onos much later in the game). That's balanced. Leaving marines capable at range, and straight increasing their ability to keep targets at range, without impacting that capability is not balanced; it leaves the marines in an advantageous situation longer, increasing their general advantage in any form of combat.

And let's not even get into how limited your ability to dodge while attacking is when you're trying to keep up with a fast-moving target.
  • criogenicscriogenics Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12248Members, Constellation
    Half the skill of playing marines is the "circle strafing" and juking you have to do because you can't shoot and retreat backwards at the same time. If you remove that, you're going to see a lot more boring marine gameplay and even more OP marines once the FPS issues are fixed.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    There are too many metaphors in this thread.
  • John BlackthorneJohn Blackthorne Join Date: 2012-02-23 Member: 147245Members
    edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure this thread has gone beyond the original topic and is now about over all game design.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    edited February 2012
    The fact that walking backwards feels wrong is enough of an argument for one side I think. How a game feels is important.
    The problem with marines running out of bite range on contact is also an issue.

so, lets think, solutions!

Leap is a good counter. You could have that earlier in the game.
    Maybe increase skulk health to compensate for the extra marine mobility?
    You could give skulks a sprint ability to close the distance faster.
    Give the gorge an ability to slow marines down in general. This would compound benefit during team play.

My point is: <b>"there are lots of ways to fix this that are fun and or interesting!" </b>

Video games are not as easy to navigate as real life-- backing up is an important maneuver even outside of combat, and the backwards motion in this game is so inefficient that it cannot be used by any reasonable player.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908087:date=Feb 28 2012, 10:49 PM:name=sumguy720)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sumguy720 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact that walking backwards feels wrong is enough of an argument for one side I think. How a game feels is important.
    The problem with marines running out of bite range on contact is also an issue.

so, lets think, solutions!

Leap is a good counter. You could have that earlier in the game.
    Maybe increase skulk health to compensate for the extra marine mobility?
    You could give skulks a sprint ability to close the distance faster.
    Give the gorge an ability to slow marines down in general. This would compound benefit during team play.

My point is: <b>"there are lots of ways to fix this that are fun and or interesting!" </b>

Video games are not as easy to navigate as real life-- backing up is an important maneuver even outside of combat, and the backwards motion in this game is so inefficient that it cannot be used by any reasonable player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

---for the record, I have not, and do not intend to read the entire thread.

Leave the back peddling alone. it is fine, it is unique, and it servers a purpose.

You have failed to mention how the changes to back peddling are going to affect more than the skulk, they will effect every alien life form. The ammount of balance changes required would be a hilariously large number.

But if you insist upon this, I would suggest that you modify you files. I think the movement speed are scalar numbers (I may very well be wrong) and should be easy to change once you find them (i.e. change "backwards_speed = 1" to "= 5" or whatever). Then post the mods you made and I will join you in a modded server. You can be ANY alien life form, with ANY tech. I will be an un-upgraded marine. Then you will learn the folly of this idea.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2012
    It most certainly is a nerf, and a damn necessary one at that! Marines are hard enough to kill as is with them jack rabbiting all over the place, god gave you guns USE THEM marines are supposed to be neither good nor mobile up close. Also stop bringing realism into a game about shooting aliens in space. Personally I never found not being able to back up as a marine much of a problem (I hardly notice it).
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    The backwards walking speed is fine, just like it was in NS1. However the backwards Jetpack movement should really be changed...
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited February 2012
    Most of the people for backwards walking speed increases seem to be rationalizing it with self preservation. That's just ... not how this game works.

Marines are simply not supposed to be by themselves. Of course it happens and the price you pay of being alone is to wait in the respawn que.

I personally have gotten used to turning around and sprinting into the arms of my fellow comrades if I find myself in an alone situation and find turning not hard to do. If no one is close, then I fight it out.

But if it's 1vs1 against me and a full health kharaa, I'm gonna just hope someone comes along to finish it off or I delayed it enough from chomping that lone extractor before help arrives.

If you want to increase the speed of going backwards, fine with me, but if you want my support you gotta explain it in a way where it doesn't involve a lone marine looking out for his own skin while he goes stomping around in his big black nanite boots of loneliness.
  • scottyscotty Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908092:date=Feb 29 2012, 05:06 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Feb 29 2012, 05:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if you insist upon this, I would suggest that you modify you files. I think the movement speed are scalar numbers (I may very well be wrong) and should be easy to change once you find them (i.e. change "backwards_speed = 1" to "= 5" or whatever). Then post the mods you made and I will join you in a modded server. You can be ANY alien life form, with ANY tech. I will be an un-upgraded marine. Then you will learn the folly of this idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly this will not happen. Because everyone, who want full speed backpedaling for marines, only play marines.
    They have no idea how difficult it is to hunt them down as alien.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited February 2012
    It's quite simple really: You either have your back turned towards the enemy thus not being able to shoot it but have the advantage of speed (not as fast as a skulk, but enough to clear the room or get to a fellow marine etc.) or you walk slowly backwards but have the advantage of shooting. It's a simple formula and it's been working so far.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...Because everyone, who want full speed backpedaling for marines, only play marines.
    They have no idea how difficult it is to hunt them down as alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was a very correct statement. People playing skulks know how effective a marine is when facing him head on.

I remember similar discussions earlier in the builds, maybe ~10 builds ago, and it was dealt by increasing marine reload speed by 25%.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    only nerf backward speed whilst firing

problem solved