Map Copy Protection?

124»

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    As a Drama queen I'm looking forward to the ns2 mapping forum, if the maps are all open source.
  • GrandMoffVixenGrandMoffVixen Join Date: 2007-04-30 Member: 60765Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1740820:date=Nov 27 2009, 08:52 AM:name=hugh3sy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hugh3sy @ Nov 27 2009, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest i have ripped so many maps to learn there secrets. Its selfish individuals who want copy rights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is nothing wrong with wanting rights to something someone has made.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1741229:date=Nov 28 2009, 08:56 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteZero @ Nov 28 2009, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because people are under the delusion that in order to have a strong mapping community, <b>every</b> map <b>must be open source</b>! Because apparently just having many, if not most, of the maps open is good enough for new mappers to have material to learn from. No, they <b>must have every map open source</b>!
    In communist NS2 Community, maps create you!

Basically, it's ridiculous and completely incomprehensible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Know one cares if you decide to not make maps for NS2 because their is no selfish copy protection, and that your portfolio doesn't get padded with NS2 maps. In fact all we want to do is to play some basic blocky untextured siege maps and have a good time. And if someone makes a textured siege map then we will enjoy it just the same. And if someone copies sections of another map, or the entire ready room or hive... do we care if he doesn't list sources? Nope.

In fact any form of copy protection would be going against the way mods will be made for the game... i.e. un-compiled (or extremely easily decompiled) lua code. And the benefit will be people can learn from other peoples mods... which in turn will result in more mods.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1740816:date=Nov 27 2009, 02:36 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteZero @ Nov 27 2009, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1740816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sense Spark Maps don't need to be compiled, what kind of security will be implemented to prevent people from ripping off your hard work on a map? Will maps be actually compiled, just only when completed and distributed? Will there be some sort of encryption implemented? Anything?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

mimimimimimiiiiiiiiiiiiiii i dont want to share mimimimimimimiiiiiiiiii

i want to keep my skills secret and no one should learn from me!! all should do the same hard work like me...

wtf, thats not how development works these days, uwe gives you a free editor and you want to protect your work you do with it? lol ppl from the us are SO.... different
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well, I think we have let this go on long enough. As Max answered so many pages ago:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's data in the level file that the editor needs but the game doesn't. I imagine we'll be releasing a tool (or maybe someone else will make one!) that will strip that data out so you can distribute your map without it easily being opened in the editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that clears it up well enough for now. I am locking this just so people actually see and read that answer since it seems most of you have not.
This discussion has been closed.