I figurd something out for all you mappers

Troy_RageTroy_Rage Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1530Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Its kinda long</div>alright, i know im new, and please dont flame me for my opinions like those basterdardos on the firearms forums

In all of the NS screenshots i've seen, the textures and such look super good. and the detail well, i havent seen alot of screenshots with detail in the maps but i havent looked at meny shots, I have the idea of just go along with ur textures. if there looks like part of the texture should go into the wall, then do it, if it looks like the textrue comes out a little, then do it. These are pritty simple skills. Id say im an ok mapper but i have much to learn but if you just make things detailed a little, that crapy hallway that just takes you from point A to point B might turn into a nice decor for you map and well i guess people like that stuff so build a detailed door, make a detailed crate, its easy and if people see this, i think theyd like the map more

Comments

• NiM_StudiosNiM_Studios Join Date: 2002-08-08 Member: 1115Members
    Yes you're right, I find myself doing that sometimes, but don't over-do it. It raises your r_speeds too.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Yes, that's a good point, but what you need to understand, is that every time you do that, r_speeds go up.  A map full of these little sticky-out bits would have a lot of r_speed problems.

All the official maps, and many others follow this to a certain extent, but you cannot have this all over the map.

Saying that, Nothing does have quite alot of this.
  • FamFam Diaper-Wearing Dog On A Ball Join Date: 2002-02-17 Member: 222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin--Insane+Oct. 19 2002,16:24--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (Insane @ Oct. 19 2002,16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes, that's a good point, but what you need to understand, is that every time you do that, r_speeds go up.  A map full of these little sticky-out bits would have a lot of r_speed problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also, they can make wall-climbing rather difficult. For such a small gain, sometimes its better to just use the texture for detail.
  • Troy_RageTroy_Rage Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1530Members
    maybie thats why when i put my super detailed plutonium rod core in it wouldent compile
  • HanzGruberHanzGruber Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 47Members
    brush detail is severly over-rated when compared to textures... sure, in a mod like cs or dod where the textures aren't overly detailed - then you need more brushes to do the job...but ns has such sexy textures that you'd be crazy to waste brushes on little knobs and so forth..
  • TzarconTzarcon Join Date: 2002-02-28 Member: 259Members
    yeah, alot of mappers do that, as thats what alot of the textures are made to do.

You'd be suprised at how mature the community is here. You'll almost never get flammed, it rarely happens, and when it does happen it is removed from the forums. Most other communities are filled with stupid idiots who flame each other.
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Join Date: 2002-04-30 Member: 552Members, Constellation
    R_speed limits aside, there are also diferent limits that a mapper must work within, like planes, stuff like that.

But yeah, like Hanz said, the textures in NS are quite sexy, and you don't need a ton of brushwork to spice em up.
    hmm yea, at the firearms forum all they do is flame and all the newbies that come start seconde guessing the people with a hell lot more posts then them, thanks for letting me in, i was the persion who got flamed the most and can you guess who? RR

anyways, yea i love the textures but will that be all of them? all i ask for is some more lights and some not dirty of broken glass textures, and i was thinking of building some ships and posting them somewere for you peeps to download and put in your maps or something for some fighter bays or something, but anyone got any ideas for some ship modules? id just make them outa brushes and probly a few entities
  • Res1Res1 Join Date: 2002-08-18 Member: 1187Members
    how old are you troy? just curious
  • CrouchingHamsterCrouchingHamster Join Date: 2002-08-17 Member: 1181Members
    I believe Hanz has made a pile of extra textures and theres nothing to stop you making your own, as long as it still looks a bit sci-fi....
    im 14, 15 in january
  • ChipsChips Join Date: 2002-07-16 Member: 958Members
    Streams of conciousness make baby jesus' brain turn to mush.

Good idea but I suspect alot of mappers know that already instinctivly. Thanks anyway.
    /me turns 15 on 20th feb
    uhh. k, anyways just but some detail in ur maps and it makes me happy... and i play games more then map, and it will make other people enjoy the map for some reason cuz people even like toilits with crap in them that flush, or trains or cars. cuz were still all 3 year old inside. GET THEM OUT GET THEM OUT!.. but seriusly ive goten in a car once in CS and started running people down, it was great
  • GobyWanGobyWan Join Date: 2002-02-22 Member: 234Members
    Incoherent sentences make ME cry. Imagine how Baby Jesus feels.

Maps will seriously hurt an older system like mine if they become too detailed in that respect. The HL engine also cannot handle too many polygons, and neither can the compile tools. Simply put, it's too much work for not enough difference and too much of a performance hit. This is best suited to UT2K3, where everything is a model and you can have tons of detail.
    really? what do you own? a can?

im getting one of thouse comps that run so fast they must be cooled by liquid nitrogen

EDIT: and i think the HL engine will be updated with NS
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    not possible. the HL engine is never updated by anybody but valve. (without the multi-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars license to the code.)