What To Do After Skinmeshing

GLFattyTheGorgeGLFattyTheGorge Join Date: 2004-02-13 Member: 26511Members
<div class="IPBDescription">help</div> Ok so I skinmeshed my model and I have the textures but now how do I get the model into .mdl form with the textures?

Comments

• DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    we need to export the model in .smd format.

file -> export -> half life smd -> reference

but to compile the model (tools -> hl -> compile) we need to have a QC script, and some animations.

we can just use a simple "idle animation" of the model just sitting there, we do the same as we did with the reference smd, but just choose sequence... and name it idle.
  • GLFattyTheGorgeGLFattyTheGorge Join Date: 2004-02-13 Member: 26511Members
    nono I don't think you understand, it's a model that needs to be skinned, so I skinmeshed it, and I am asking now what do I do to put it in .mdl form.....
  • NSASil3ntdeathNSASil3ntdeath Join Date: 2004-01-16 Member: 25365Members
    you get the bmps, and color it....

i think ( im still kind of new)
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    ahh, depends on what you meshed your model with...

Milkshape - take the groups you meshed, and apply a meterial to that group.

Lithium Unwarp - export to .3ds, import to milkshape, and apply materials to the right groups.

and well, there's always the skinning itself... photoshop, paint, paintshop pro, the gimp are all nice graphic editors used for more skinning than you'd imagine.
    omg no one understands me lol....

I think you have to mesh the model, then save it as .ms3ds then open it in milkshape and save it as .mdl ?? that's my question. See I made a model, then I skinmeshed it, saved it but its in .ms3ds or whatever, and I need it in .mdl
    <!--QuoteBegin-Delarosa+Feb 16 2004, 09:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Delarosa @ Feb 16 2004, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ahh, depends on what you meshed your model with...

Milkshape - take the groups you meshed, and apply a meterial to that group.

Lithium Unwarp - export to .3ds, import to milkshape, and apply materials to the right groups.

and well, there's always the skinning itself... photoshop, paint, paintshop pro, the gimp are all nice graphic editors used for more skinning than you'd imagine. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok so I meshed it with lithunwrap, now how do I apply materials to the right groups??
    select the first group.
    move to the materials tab
    hit "new"... now where there is a <none> hit that and select the right bmp for the group you've got selected.
    and then down near "new" hit the "assign" button.

rinse and repete for the rest of your groups.

to make it a .mdl... you have to export a reference SMD, a sequence SMD, write a .QC Script, and COMPILE the model... only after that, will you get a .mdl

to be able to export to reference smd, you've gotta have a skeleton.
    every vertex in your model has to be assigned to a part of that skeleton.

to make a sequce smd, you have to have one or more frames in your "animation" and have it use the SAME skeleton as the reference smd.

there is (now) a tutorial thread in these forums that contains help about the QC file and how to read/use them.
    So I can't skin the model or put it in .mdl form till it's animated??
    make a one frame "idle" animation... it'll work, but won't be moving...
    edited February 2004
    This is really silly now, I just wanted to skin a model, but now I have to animate, compile, edit the SMD and QC files. I thought that was all a modelers job!

I have no clue what to do, and besides milkshape can't even save it as .mdl
    what model were you skinning, some of us can try to help out more...?
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    1) Create a mesh
    2) Skinmesh it (define the skinmaps)
    3) Create the skin
    4) Apply the skin to the mesh (short step; simply requires applying the appropriate materials)

At this point you have a textured mesh in Milkshape. To make a model out of it, you need to export a reference SMD and at least one animation SMD (can be a non-moving idle animation), create a QC file (the easiest way to do this is to edit the QC of an existing model), and compile the QC using studiomdl.exe.

If you're skinning an existing model, you can simply use HLMV to replace the texture with your own. But if it's an original model, you've got to do all the steps (or find someone to do the compiling bit for you). No one ever said modeling was easy. (;
    Thank you coil, somone is going to animate it, then I'll mesh in, then skin it, then somone will compile it.