Ns_tumult layout

Angel_KillAngel_Kill Join Date: 2002-10-04 Member: 1423Members
<div class="IPBDescription">..please look....</div>Here's the layout to ns_tumult.....

Basically it's a research facility.  It houses hydroponic bays, aquariums, and alien egg holders.  A disaster struck when an egg in stasis hatched.  Infestation began, taking over the workers.  A crew of marines has been sent in to terminate all non-human life.

...i tried to think of different scenarios that could take place while creating the layout...feedback welcome...i ask that you don't just berate it to death, but provide constructive crticisim to enable me to form a worthwhile, playable, and most of all, fun map.....thanks....

<a href="http://www30.brinkster.com/beautifulugly/layout.html" target="_blank">ns_tumult Layout</a>

Comments

• coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hmm.  quite a few problems here.

1) Having the drop zone removed from the MS like that is going to make it a little confusing for the marines, having to *backtrack* to reach their base.  And if they go the other way, well, god help them.

2) Giving the marines two protected nodes in their start is going to really hurt the aliens.

3) The top right half of the map has no normal connections to the lower half; only alien vents.  That means only jetpack-equipped marines will be able to get to that hive.

4) The other two hives only have one entrance each, and marines can be denied entrance to *both* by protecting a single doorway.

5) The hives are too close to each other as compared to their distance from the marine start; aliens can run between hives easily while the marines have a *long* walk.

6) All the resources not in a spawn point are easily taken and held by the aliens.

7) This long corridor will have horrific r_speeds due to the very long-range visibility.

In general, your map needs more and better connectivity.  Multiple non-alien-only paths to *every* spawn point (3 hives and MS), and more substance in the center of the map.  Try to give both teams an equal chance to grab resource nodes; one good way to do it is a node in each spawn area, and 3-5 more spaced evenly through the center of the map.  Currently, this map will involve severe turtling on both sides until the aliens reach 3 hives, at which point they will crush the marines (regardless of the fact that the marines may well have full tech by that point).
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
  • Jeb_RadecJeb_Radec Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1128Members
    also kinda... simple...
  • TzarconTzarcon Join Date: 2002-02-28 Member: 259Members
    THe entire map is just one long path. There must be multiple paths, and marines must have to walk at least half-way back before they can start walking to another hive (so hives must be the same distance to each other as to the marine spawn, but aliens can take the vents. But, the aliens must not be able to immediatly go between hives, there has to be enough time for the marines to make a decent attack before aliens at a different hive can come in to defend. Make sure you read the mapping guidelines on these issues
  • Angel_KillAngel_Kill Join Date: 2002-10-04 Member: 1423Members
    Yeah i was reading the guidlines as i drew it out....this is great, thanks for the info, i'll make modifications, bluk it up some with more areas, and i'll even it off some more....thanks...

Edit:

This any better? <a href="http://www30.brinkster.com/beautifulugly/layout.html" target="_blank">tumult - New Layout</a>

bump
  • Angel_KillAngel_Kill Join Date: 2002-10-04 Member: 1423Members
    I edited it again....please look....thanks...

<a href="http://www30.brinkster.com/beautifulugly/layout.html" target="_blank">ns_tumult layout</a>
  • ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I tweeked the vent and resource node placement.  The vents were fairly redendant nad it was rather rich on nodes.  

This node layout will make the marines work for there second node.  The vent layout should be more usefull, allowing aliens to move quickly around the map without having to go through the marine base.

As you can see i'm a bt worried about the posibility of siegeing one of the hive from just outside the marine base.  I wish I new the range of siege, so I sould warn about this in the guide.
    Light-years of improvement, AK.  I agree with Chrome that resource nodes are spotty and vents are totally redundant - the primary use of vents is to allow aliens quick access between different areas of the map - especially in defense of a hive.  If you've got a very long, U-like path that marines must take to a hive, consider an alien vent that cuts across the U for a shortcut.

With that in mind, I'd suggest (in addition to Chrome's changes) two additional vents.  One from the left hive to the large room south of the marine start (whether or not it intersects Chrome's north-south vent is your call), and a vent on the right side of the map connecting the south hive, the uninfested room above it, and the infested room just below the north hive.

Also keep in mind that corridors can go in diagonals, and that high r_speeds created by long corridors can also be prevented by height changes such as elevators.