Mines

EQXEQX Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21080Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Go Boom</div> Well, after they changed the turret costs and the price of mines, I have found an intersting trend-

1. In public servers, turrets are used more often.
2. On clans, mines are used more often.

Now, I have seen some minework and they are a GREAT deterrent to aliens. Electricity and turrets can ward of skulks, but fades and even Onos are scared of mines in numbers.

I remember a time when our team was losing badly and there were 5+ onos grouping around our base giving skulk snickers. Well, our com promptly dropped half dozen mines and we all charge like hell into the hallway, dropping mines everywhere. The first THREE onos that charged into the fray hit into mine packets and were killed.

Now, the problem with mines is:

a) People don't know where to put them OR
b) People put them where the com doesn't want them to go

Too often, giving a player a pack of mines results with him skipping off to a side tunnel and placing mines all on one side of the wall, clearly visible to any alien that passes by. Idiocy! So, is there any apparent use for mines on public servers or are they useful for clans teams only??

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Search for "mine placement" - someone made a thread about the tactical placement of mines. (It's best to place them in packs to kill the larger creatures, though)
  • ElusiveLlamaElusiveLlama Join Date: 2003-10-19 Member: 21787Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Too often, giving a player a pack of mines results with him skipping off to a side tunnel and placing mines all on one side of the wall, clearly visible to any alien that passes by. Idiocy!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you expect from pub nubs? Half of them can't even shoot a skulk running straight at them, down a long hallway (the other half are wondering why they can't buy weapons and ammo).
  • antseezeeantseezee Join Date: 2003-12-05 Member: 23989Members
    Very true, mines are by far one of the most repelling objects I've played with. As an alien, they truly hurt the skulk/alien rushes...period. I still feel the 10 res though is more of a waste, as a shotgun would better fit a rine.
  • DeathclawDeathclaw Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19172Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I still feel the 10 res though is more of a waste, as a shotgun would better fit a rine. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And there's the chance of someone placing them near the armoury/IP. 10 res for a string of '[marine] killed self with item_mine' isn't too good a deal, though I suppose it distracts the skulk from chewing on your structures.